TF Pregnancy Club - March/April Thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 179 Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone! I wanted to start a new thread for us...I'm not exactly sure what to do, but it's better than nothing! Please let us know if you are new to the list or if any information has changed. I will do my best to update (in between naps, of course).

Due Dates:

February
nicolena - 2/18/08

March
Pinky Tuscadero - 3/20/08
suzukiaustin - end of March, early April

April
celestialdreamer
EENS
elleystar - 4/21/08
lolaroo - 4/28/08
thomlynn - 4/28/08

May
CholoMama - mid May
Ally'smom - late May
Taedareth - 5/15/08
HerthElde - 5/23/08
smeisnotapirate - 5/29/08

June
mamaspirit - 6/9/08

July
nubianamy - 7/3/08
mom2lex&cay - 7/17/08
tabitha - 7/25/08
FiberLover - 7/31/08
Phew2305

August
treehugginhippie - Late August/Early September
desertpenguin - 8/22/08
CountrylivinmomtoB
saving_grace - 8/8/08
zoebird - late August

September
MamaTessa - beginning of the month
brookescott88 - middle of the month
ccasanova
paquerette
spiderdust - mid september (9/22/08)
jessicafairy - 9/10/08

October
DreamsinDigital
Skrimpy
farmerjess - 10/11/08
toraji - 10/30/08

November
bellacatalina - 11/4/08
arismama! - end of November/early December

Due Date Unknown
HerthElde
homewithtwinsmama - Spring 2008
desertpenguin

TTCers
Lindsay13
moneca
Attached Mama
tubilidentata2

Bouncing Babies
MCsMom - 9/07
KLK7 - 12/5/07
Sihaya - 12/22/07
wagamama - 12/25/07
pampered_mom - 1/4/08
roseoffred - 1/5/08
Pilgrim - 1/10/08
newcastlemama - 2/15/08

caedmyn
Junegoddess

jessicaSAR
steph117 - 3/5/08
Leilalu - 3/10/08

Beloved Lurkers
Thystle
cherryblossom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 179 Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

I don't want Leilalu's announcement to get lost...

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU, LEILALU!!

I hope you find a solution to the swelling...

"Man, I need to catch up with this thread! Maybe later during a nursing session

Gavin Elijah is here! He arrived Friday am at 9:09 via c-section. Most of you may know it was my third, planned this time.

He is beautiful, perfect, and weighed 8 pounds 12 ounces. My smallest baby so far! But he did come the earliest at 39 weeks 4 days. Everyone was all "he's huge!" but he was so tiny to me

I was in the hospital until Monday morning because he had a bit of jaundice that was increasing, and we know how slow hospitals are! He had to have 3 sessions under a blue light between nursings to get his levels down. They were concerned with the rising levels because our blood types are incompatible. He is A+, I am O+

He is doing fine now though, not yellow anymore, and my milk came in quickly enough. I am totally swollen stiff though because of the IV after surgery! Hopefully this water weight comes off soon. I am also trying to get the engorgement down.

So if anyone has idea for swelling after a c-section, let me know! Adjustign to home life and 2 busy kids is wearing me out as it is.

I will put together a picture heavy blog post this afternoon about it all.

I hope eveyone is well,and congrats to any new babies I missed!"
#3 of 179 Old 03-12-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

And JessicaSAR...CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I came looking for a March thread, but couldn't find one so I'll just post here.

Just wanted to quickly post that I am very happily postpartum. Theodore Aaron (Teddy) was born Tuesday morning after a much longer than expected labor. He took his time, but had a beautiful birth and weighed about 8lbs at birth.

After all my thinking about postpartum meals I ended up eating a totally non TF meal of baked ziti brought over by our italian neighbors. Oh well, it was traditional to them.

Time to bump up the CLO, which I had trouble doing the last month, and I am slightly anemic, so I need to work on minerals too.

Looking forward to talking postpartum nutrition. We should have a couple more babies soon......."
#4 of 179 Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

uuuuhhhhh....and i don't know how to link to the old thread. sorry guys, i'm not too tech savvy.

So, how is everyone? Someone said (I think it was mamaspirit) that she was down in the dumps and someone (I believe Skrimpy) was suffering from nausea...(Sorry, it's late here and I'm forcing myself to stay awake to call the USA from Australia and I'm a little delirious). Just sending well wishes to you all. I'm pretty snappy and crazy these days. I'm a little sad because I have only gained 22 lbs, which is better than nothing, but I needed to gain more - underweight. My stomach is all squished now and I don't want to eat anymore. I hope this baby will fare well on all of the protein I was eating. Oh, and I've been watching birth videos that have sent me a little into panic mode. Trying to think positive here, but getting a little scared!!!!
#5 of 179 Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 AM

We're still around!!!

Here's a link to the old thread

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=746297

OK and slightly off topic, but does anyone have any experience with the Bach Flower Remidies?? I've been reading about them and it's super interesting.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#6 of 179 Old 03-12-2008, 12:40 PM

Still here, and doing pretty good! I'm 34 weeks now, and beginning to feel the crunch. I'm just trying to stay mellow and not get too worried about things...it's so hard for me to believe that in a few weeks I'll go through labor...that Great Unknown! Weight gain-45 lbs, which is a bit alarming to me, but I can't quite see where I've packed it all, so I guess that's what my body wanted to do.
As far as eating TF...eh, well, I'm doing my best. It doesn't always happen but I'm trying not to beat myself up too much over it.
Other than that I just wish I could quit working a little earlier...I work a stressful job and I'm on my feet for much of the day. I'm working as it is up until week 38. My M/W did make me cut my hours back a bit though.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#7 of 179 Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 PM

I have not posted at MDC in a long time but see some familiar faces here...

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?
It's been about 4 years now, I think. I had a very traumatic experience with my DD's teeth rotting and was forced to reassess my diet. We were very hardcore strict whole foods vegans, all through pregnancy and the 1st year of nursing, which obviously ended up not working for our family.

When is your baby due?
Official date is Oct 30, but DD came almost 3 weeks late so I'm saying early November.

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)?
#2, DD is 5 y.o.

What kind of birth are you having?
Unassisted, just like the first one

What are your other interests/hobbies?
Energy work, crystals, farming/homesteading, knitting/sewing/fibercraft, voluntary simplicity and healing the earth

What part of the world do you live in?
I've recently moved just outside Ithaca NY (anyone else here?)

One crazy fun fact about yourself!
I can hang a spoon on my nose.
#8 of 179 Old 03-12-2008, 03:59 PM

thanks for starting this thread suzukiaustin hope you are able to stay calm...I know a lot about the whole panic thing. I had to do lots of positive thinking in the end.

I am taking kelp, and all the normal stuff I take to supplement, so hopefullly my body will get rid of some of this water weight on it's own....but I am seriously bloated everywhere like, I jiggle when I walk my middle is bloated, my legs, everything- and it is sort of painful. I am also hoping to get off any pain meds in the next 2-3 days. I never take them except for my births(c-sections-all 3 ) and I think the stool softeners, although nessecary at this point are only helping me swell more. *sigh*

but on a happy note ,I have enough milk for several babies right now. lol

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#9 of 179 Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM

I've been lurking for a while, I guess it's time I introduced myself!

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?
I've been interested for 2 or 3 years but only recently started following some of the principles. We are starting very slowly!

When is your baby due?
Official date is September 10 but we'll see.

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)?
#3, I allready have 2 boys, 12 and 4.

Hopefully a homebirth (my first), I just have to get dh on board!

Knitting and other handcrafts, books and food!

The Happy Valley of Western Massachusetts

Not so much about me, but my husband is 7 feet tall, amlost 2 feet taller then me!

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
#10 of 179 Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmm... 3 years? A few people recommended the book Light's Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival to me some time back and while it seemed to have a lot of alarmist and paranoid thinking, there was actually some rather sound information in it, especially in regards to eating whole, non-processed foods. Later on, I found Jessica Prentice's website and discovered Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions. I bought Prentice's book Full Moon Feast as soon as it came out on the market.

When is your baby due?
Sometime in the middle of September. I say September 22nd, but some other people have hunches that it will be earlier. I haven't gone to a doctor or midwife yet, so I'm curious to see what s/he says.

This will be my 2nd child; my first is 9 years old.

I'd like to try it at home, but I'm worried that my health issues may prevent that. We'll see.

Books, gaming, cooking, knitting

Smack dab in the Silicon Valley!

I grew up in a town that was featured on The X-Files. :

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#11 of 179 Old 03-15-2008, 02:27 AM

My due date is listed wrong in the beggining...

I'm due June 9, 2008, you have me listed as June 29, 2008...

Congrats to the new babes and welcome to the newcomers!

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#12 of 179 Old 03-15-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

welcome to all newbies!

i'm going to work on updating the information on the list tomorrow. having some bad BH right now and i'm going to lie down.

added spiderdust and corrected mamaspirit due date.

good night and happy eating tomorrow!
#13 of 179 Old 03-15-2008, 08:59 PM

Welcome to all the newbies! And to suzukiaustin, thanks for starting this thread!

I've got a question regarding BH contrax and nutrition. I'm a big believer in the Brewer diet and work hard to eat plenty of protein and lots of veggies and fruits (I usually don't get in all of the grain servings in a day that it calls for). Beyond that, are there nutritional approaches to making your body stronger during this time? I'm 30 weeks and am having a TON of BH contrax, often with very little exertion, and simple daily things like making dinner are bringing them on pretty strongly. I take a nap every day and am sure to sit and rest often, and I'm getting frustrated (and worried) by how often they come on.

If anyone has any light to shine on this one, I'd appreciate it! thanks!
#14 of 179 Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally'smom View Post
Welcome to all the newbies! And to suzukiaustin, thanks for starting this thread!

I've got a question regarding BH contrax and nutrition. I'm a big believer in the Brewer diet and work hard to eat plenty of protein and lots of veggies and fruits (I usually don't get in all of the grain servings in a day that it calls for). Beyond that, are there nutritional approaches to making your body stronger during this time? I'm 30 weeks and am having a TON of BH contrax, often with very little exertion, and simple daily things like making dinner are bringing them on pretty strongly. I take a nap every day and am sure to sit and rest often, and I'm getting frustrated (and worried) by how often they come on.

If anyone has any light to shine on this one, I'd appreciate it! thanks!
I am in my third pregnancy currently and have already been having a few (15 weeks). With my second I remember them picking up at this time-much earlier than with the first. For me it was a combo of being tired (I nap every day too! No way I couldn't!) and hungry. I could never quite sort out a combo. Guess this is just commiserating. I just told myself that boy my body is going to be ready come labor! I am interested in what others have to say about this.
#15 of 179 Old 03-16-2008, 11:44 PM

Suzukiaustin - thanks for starting the thread - welcome to all the new mamas & good luck to all expecting soon!

Just FYI, add me to the bouncin' babies list...we welcomed Mia Rose on March 5 (after a looong hard labor & unexpected c-section) - pics of her in my blog, link in signature! She is an amazing little love and we are beyond smitten.

I barely ate at all for the 3 days of labor & have not been eating very well since getting out of the hospital so I'm taking supplements & hoping to get back on the TF bandwagon ASAP - at least I'm still taking my CLO! :P

By the way, little Mia was born with really long hair and super long fingernails...all that CLO I'm guessing??? She's also STRONG! Oh, and she does have a little moon-face...I really, really hope this diet did good things for her. I think so. Of course, we think she's absolutely perfect.
#16 of 179 Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
Suzukiaustin - thanks for starting the thread - welcome to all the new mamas & good luck to all expecting soon!

Just FYI, add me to the bouncin' babies list...we welcomed Mia Rose on March 5 (after a looong hard labor & unexpected c-section) - pics of her in my blog, link in signature! She is an amazing little love and we are beyond smitten.

I barely ate at all for the 3 days of labor & have not been eating very well since getting out of the hospital so I'm taking supplements & hoping to get back on the TF bandwagon ASAP - at least I'm still taking my CLO! :P

By the way, little Mia was born with really long hair and super long fingernails...all that CLO I'm guessing??? She's also STRONG! Oh, and she does have a little moon-face...I really, really hope this diet did good things for her. I think so. Of course, we think she's absolutely perfect.
congrats!I am hoping to get back on the bandwagon too as far as getting off these pain meds. I am just taking motrin, but I still hate it. But I still have pain if I don't..

#17 of 179 Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Congratulations Steph !!! Mia's pics are adorable.

Ally'smom - I had tons of BH contractions whenever I would stand up. I never really worried about it, just considered it good toning for the uterine muscles. I drank a ton of RRL and nettle tea in order to help tone the uterus.

Teddy will be two weeks old tomorrow. He is nursing like crazy and is already starting to get chubby. I don't know if it is the postpartum hormone dump or the extra CLO, but I am blissfuly happy and not really tired at all. I was a bit anemic after delivery, so I need to keep my iron intake up, but otherwise this has been an easy delivery and recovery.

Oh, and coconut macaroons are a great snack - thanks leilalu for that suggestion!!
#18 of 179 Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 AM

congrats to new mamas!!

hey, toraji, is that you? (well of course it is, but its it the you i know?)

i havent been posting much. spring makes us busy here, plus we have been dealing with health mysteries in my youngest. we just started a gluten free diet while we wait for biopsy results looking for celiac, among other things. he is 17 months old.

i am 21 weeks with my fourth, having a UC like last time. my first was a mw-assisted hospital experience, my second a mw-assisted homebirth experience, and the third UP/UC, which was unimaginably *right* . so that is what we hope for this time. i am over the hyperemesis i always suffer from and eating well again.

baby is kicking a lot, and i am huge though i dont think i have gained weight yet, unusual for me. spring is almost here and it will be non-stop until the birth because we live on a farm. by the time this baby is born, if all goes well, i will be milking one of the cows, canning, drying, gardening, all day. i attribute my easy birth last time to this behavior, but who knows!

food wise we are kind of having trouble with the gluten-free diet, but eating meats, fish and stocks, rice, beans, chickpeas, etc. coldframe salads, pickles, tomatoes from last year. i started with Concentrace and CLO recently. dh is obsessed with kombucha and i am making kefir daily.

i hope everyone else is doing well and that spring will come soon to those in want of it!

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#19 of 179 Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
- Lilly was born the same way! (Well...not sure abou the moon-face part, but long fingernails and hair. Definitely different from ds). I didn't take CLO, but I'm guess all the good fats?

Congrats mama!
#20 of 179 Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Congrats!!!!!
#21 of 179 Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Leilalu & jessicaSAR - CONGRATS! totally forgot to say...

Leilalu, wowee, Gavin is a little cutie-pie with those rosy cheeks!!

(I LOVE baby pictures. Anyone else feel free to share. )

It's weird, I feel like it was much easier to eat well when pregnant than now...actually, I guess that's not weird. When I was pregnant, I wasn't getting used to having a newborn around!

I am certainly getting my complement of post-partum MEAT. I have eaten beef every single day, at least once...hopefully that's good for my iron! And healing from surgery - I actually feel really good at this point, hopefully the food is helping...
#22 of 179 Old 03-18-2008, 11:24 AM

Not to be too dense, but I am newly pregnant (10 weeks) and wanting to get on the TF bandwagon and have some questions about what's ok during pregnancy. I also have candida, so I am looking for an eating style that will help me keep it at bay because I am no longer able to take strong herbal anti-fungals (oregano oil, GSE, etc.) I want to focus on getting as many food based pro-b's as possible.

I read on another post that a mama didn't want to start drinking kombucha while pregnant or nursing. Should I be concerned about this?

Should I be concerned about the amount of alcohol in kombucha and kefir?

I really feel like it is, but raw milk is ok during pregnancy right?

Any other advice?

I am going to start making sauerkraut soon...

TIA

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#23 of 179 Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 PM

The concern with kombucha is detoxing while pregnant. I tried it after I was assured that it wasn't a problem and starting the very next day I felt very very tired. I would be needed a nap two hours after I got up. Plus I noticed my still nursing 20mo also became very fussy. I took it for a couple days before I made the connection (I assumed it was just late pregnancy tiredness). It also screwed with my already wacky blood sugar. I'm having problems with it dropping out suddenly, no matter how balanced my meal is.

Anyhow, about three days after I stopped drinking it I started to feel normal again. I mentioned the whole thing to my mw at my next appointment and she was not happy at the advice I had been given. She said you never want to encourage your body to detox while pregnant or nursing and if I'm looking for something to help with liver support (which was the reason I was encouraged to start drinking it to begin with) that nettles were a much safer option.

Raw milk is great during pregnancy and I think starting kefir would be great. Are you taking Cod Liver Oil?? That is a must.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#24 of 179 Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I guess that kombucha is too strong a detox for right now. I will just give away the batch we are making now.

I can't wait to start the raw milk though. I just need to go on a quest to find it in my area.

I will just stick to an optimal diet then and just cleanse the slow and hard way.

About CLO, the conservationist part of me takes over and thinks about how cod are becoming an endangered species. Is it really tons better than regular fish oil made from mackerel, sardines, etc. that are not over-fished?

#25 of 179 Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 PM

i am pregnant, nursing, and drink kombucha. just to add a different side. a lot of pregnant/ nursing women choose to drink it.

i bought CLO but it makes me feel so sick after i take it that i think maybe i shouldnt. i also started taking concentrace and take a rainbow light prenatal, too. we are big kefir fans as well.

raw milk is safe, pregnant or not, if the source is good. i get very ill in my 1st trimester and raw milk yogurt saved me this time.

i would not worry about alcohol, but you should know i also drink a glass of wine here and there when pregnant.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#26 of 179 Old 03-18-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
Not to be too dense, but I am newly pregnant (10 weeks) and wanting to get on the TF bandwagon and have some questions about what's ok during pregnancy. I also have candida, so I am looking for an eating style that will help me keep it at bay because I am no longer able to take strong herbal anti-fungals (oregano oil, GSE, etc.) I want to focus on getting as many food based pro-b's as possible.

I read on another post that a mama didn't want to start drinking kombucha while pregnant or nursing. Should I be concerned about this?

Should I be concerned about the amount of alcohol in kombucha and kefir?

I really feel like it is, but raw milk is ok during pregnancy right?

Any other advice?

I am going to start making sauerkraut soon...

TIA
first off, congrats!

I would focus on more gentle things to encourage a balance during pregnancy. I think kefir is great as it colonizes the gut, leaving it protected. I think it is actually way better than grapefruit seed extract, and oil of oregano in that it is a real food answer. And you are drinking a myriad of probiotics instead of just getting rid of the bad. I think kefir is perfectly safe, but I would start out in small quantities with homeade. Homeade is way more potent.

As far as curbing the cravings, fat is the way to go. During my pregnancy I did ok as long as I stayed away from sweets and substituted adding fats like EVCO, and butter to things, and drinking whole raw milk.

#27 of 179 Old 03-18-2008, 03:32 PM

yes, I am really feeling the need to get some coconut oil. I used to order it by the gallon from Wilderness Family Naturals, but I haven't in a while. Just the thought of having it again is making me hungry. :

And I am starting on the quest for raw milk in the triangle area, NC.

I don't feel like I have had much of a reaction from kombucha when I have had it in the past couple of weeks, so maybe I'll try it in very small quantities, like a tsp per cup of water or something.

Thanks everyone for your help.

#28 of 179 Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM

I haven't been keeping up with this thread so CONGRATS to all the mamas that had their babies!!!

My MW says BH can be caused by dehydration. She tells all her clients to drink 1/2 their body weight in water each day while preggers. I've made it up to 64 oz of water a day but that's not quite 1/2 my body weight in ounces. Its hard for me to do more than that but I do notice that I feel better when I drink my water than when I don't. I have a tendency to get headaches when I don't get enough.

On another note, I had ketones in my urine yesterday at my prenatal. MW says I'm not getting enough calories. I feel like I'm eating alot already. I'm aiming for 70+ grams of protein a day so perhaps I'm not getting enough of the other stuff in. I'm 20 weeks and have gained 6 lbs. Any suggestions out there?
#29 of 179 Old 03-18-2008, 04:56 PM

I'm not so new to the TF boards but I am... drumroll, newly pregnant!

on and off for the past few years, learned about it as a natural extention of reading every cookbook i can get my hands on and finding what interested me, actually the first truly TF book I read was the maker's diet by jordan rubin. I grew up eating whole foods, organic foods and helping out on friend's farms and my father was a professional chef so food has always been a hugely important thing to me.

When is your baby due?

end of November or early December

biologically this is #2, I have 2 stepchildren

who knows ye

minneapolis, mn, usa- where it is still snowing!
#30 of 179 Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
About CLO, the conservationist part of me takes over and thinks about how cod are becoming an endangered species. Is it really tons better than regular fish oil made from mackerel, sardines, etc. that are not over-fished?
That's an interesting question... I hope someone has an answer! :

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page