Raw milk--how does it taste? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've just put ourselves on the waiting list for the cow share. I'm still a little nervous about the raw milk. How does it taste? I hear "delicious" but in what way is it different?

Knittin', knit.gifsingin', cookin' Sara , newly single, doting auntie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM

To me, this biggest difference was in how satisfying it was to my taste buds. It was just more fulfilling. Maybe it was partly psychological because I knew these cows were treated so well, but that was how it was for me.

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#3 of 17 Old 04-14-2008, 05:46 PM

Creamy, earthy, and complex.

Not one dimensional .

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#4 of 17 Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 PM

It has a sweetness and richness to it. My kids no longer like even organic store bought milk taste anymore. So spoiled are we by our five years on raw milk.
#5 of 17 Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 PM

It feels a little thicker on the tongue I would say. Definitely more fulfilling.

Also once you drink raw milk, regular milk has a funny metallic-y taste?
#6 of 17 Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 PM

We get raw goat milk, and it's much creamier, sweeter, milder and less "goaty" tasting than pasteurized goat milk. What's interesting, though, is that different animals and different dairies give milk that tastes completely different. It depends on all kinds of factors like what the animals are eating, what breed of cow/goat/whatever it is, and just the genetics and health of the particular animal.

The goat milk we get is far and away better than any other goat milk I've tried, pasteurized or raw. And, there's actually cream that floats to the top, unlike most goat milk. It's so rich and yummy.
#7 of 17 Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
It has a sweetness and richness to it. My kids no longer like even organic store bought milk taste anymore. So spoiled are we by our five years on raw milk.
This. I'm not a milk drinker by nature and even I can enjoy a nice cupful of fresh, raw milk.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#8 of 17 Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 AM

I personally thing it tastes like a dairy smells. To me that's good, but I try not to think about hay when I drink it LOL. It's definitely more fulfilling and it has a taste to it that you do not find with conventional milk. I find conventional milk to be very bland, you're about to find out what milk tastes like for real.
#9 of 17 Old 04-15-2008, 05:28 AM

It doesn't have that weird after taste that pasteurized milk has. It is true that breed and diet have a huge effect. I have had Jersey milk- the same herd was in rich, lush pasture and the milk was mild and creamy. Then the herd moved south to much drier pasture, the cream actually increased, but it didn't taste as good. I switched to another dairy where the grass is very lush and they give NO grain (even during milking). The cows are brown swiss and tarentaise. The milk is stark white! (Jersey is yellow/cream colored) It has the mellowest milk flavor I have ever had, I like it the best personally.

It just tastes like milk, unadulterated, wonderful milk. You will find that all other milk tastes funny after trying raw.

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#10 of 17 Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 AM

I've tasted grass in raw milk before... it was healthier milk from healthier cows, but I didn't like it as much. And, it didn't like me... but that's a different topic.

I think raw milk is sweeter... just a tad... and yes SO creamy. Even when I regularly skimmed about half the cream for my coffee. LOL

I love raw milk. I miss it dearly. I'm allergic now and hoping so hard my allergy treatments get me over that.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#11 of 17 Old 04-15-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses! it does sound tasty.

I hope that it's not too long before we're at the top of the waiting list for a cow share. When I google'd the farm we're going to work with, there was a newspaper article that said they had a 300 person waiting list! So, we'll see.

We've been getting organic, pasture-fed vat pasteurized non-homogenized whole milk. I love it. Hubby, who has never drank milk when I've bought it (he has sinus issues from milk, and has drank soy milk a lot, much to my horror) well he keeps hogging up this milk. I got 2 glasses out of the last 1/2 gallon. He says he loves it and it doesn't give him the snottiness.
I can only believe that the raw will be even better!

Knittin', knit.gifsingin', cookin' Sara , newly single, doting auntie.
#12 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 01:12 AM

after drinking raw goat's milk, organic store cow milk tastes cooked and flat, and just sticks to my throat in a thick mucusy fashion and I wont drink it anymore.

Each of my goats' (I have three) milk tastes different. And it changes with what they eat too. I just got some bad alfalfa hay last month and it made all their milk bad and goaty. But now it is fresh and sweet again since I figured out what was going wrong and stopped giving that hay.
#13 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM

It tastes like cows smell, but not in a bad way.

I also found out recently that if you steam it for lattes, it tastes like malted milk. :
#14 of 17 Old 04-16-2008, 04:35 PM

it also changes with the state of lactation of the cow. with milk mixed from a herd, you might not notice, but with a single cow you do. when Nimue first calves her milk smells so different from any other time in her lactation. because that was my first full-on raw milk experience, other than bottled from the store, it is a nostalgic and desirable smell to me.

later on it seems richer, deeper and less 'green'. love raw milk.

i wish you luck on your waiting list!

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#15 of 17 Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 PM

The thing that struck me the first time I drank it was that it tastes clean. No funky taste (or aftertaste). Being someone who only drank low fat (1% or non-fat milk) previously, it also tasted thick and rich. As someone previously mentioned, it's very satisfying.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#16 of 17 Old 04-18-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
The thing that struck me the first time I drank it was that it tastes clean. No funky taste (or aftertaste).
Yes!! I never would have come up with that description on my own, but now that you say it, it fits perfectly (from what I remember... once again let me say how MUCH I miss milk!!!)

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#17 of 17 Old 04-18-2008, 12:41 PM

When I first tried raw milk, I remember that I repeated to whoever would listen that it tasted "real". Raw milk tastes real. Sorry, I know that's not very informative.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page