Finally!!! I made a super super healthy chocolate milk recipe! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like such a super mom...I'm sure some of you already do this but I bought some raw organic cocoa powder, raw milk, nutritional yeast and raw honey (or agave nectar). Mix it all up and its soooo good and HEALTHY!

I told the kids the yeast was organic sugar(haa haaa haaa) so they are excited when I add a lot in their drinks. Plus it gives it a nice flavor. The cocoa powder is loaded with protein and vitamons.

The cocoa powder is hard to mix into the milk so you need to stir the heck out of it.

xoxoxox

#2 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 PM
AJP

You can put the cocoa powder in a glass first and then add just a splash of water (warm water works best), stir that up and then add your other ingredients before adding the milk. The cocoa powder will dissolve in the water, which makes it much easier to mix it with milk.

There is no secret ingredient.
#3 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
You can put the cocoa powder in a glass first and then add just a splash of water (warm water works best), stir that up and then add your other ingredients before adding the milk. The cocoa powder will dissolve in the water, which makes it much easier to mix it with milk.
I do the same sort of thing, but with milk . . . I warm the milk by putting the milk into a mug or some other container and setting that into a dish of very warm water (or you can use a double boiler, but you don't want to heat over 100-115 degrees if it's raw milk). Then I mix the cocoa and honey together with just enough warm milk to make a thick paste, and stir until smooth. You might want to add your yeast flakes with the cocoa and honey, too. After that I gradually stir in more milk until it is a smoothly-mixed liquid, and then put it all together and stir again before drinking. It's very yummy.

You can boost the health benefits even more by adding some ground cinnamon, like the Mexicans do.
#4 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea about mixing it with warm water or milk 1st. It was taking me a very long time to get the cocoa and honey to mix in.

xoxoxox

#5 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 08:20 PM

I actually buy a concoction similar to this from Wilderness Family Naturals which is simply raw cacao powder mixed with agave nectar, but this is a great idea and would be very easy to make. Thank you
#6 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 PM

Mmmmm! Gotta try this!!!
By the way, what are the benefits of nutritional yeast? Sorry, I'm a newbie...
#7 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 AM

You could even add a frozen banana and it tastes just like a chocolate shake, I swear.
#8 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM

You could try to make a chocolate syrup ahead of time... like your very own Hershey's! The recipes I've seen call for boiling and corn syrup, but I think it would work over low heat with cocoa and agave/honey. Once those two have emulsified, remove from heat and stir in yeast and some milk (to thin it, and so it doesn't get too thick in the fridge.)
It'd keep a couple of weeks in the fridge, and if it's not quite spoon-stirrable, you can put it and the milk into something and shake it all up. My kids love it when a drink involves shaking.

No idea if this actually works, but... it might. I keep meaning to try it.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#9 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 02:40 PM

We make our chocolate milk in the blender. Nice and frothy, mmmmm... We like it with a dash of vanilla or almond extract.
#10 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
Mmmmm! Gotta try this!!!
By the way, what are the benefits of nutritional yeast? Sorry, I'm a newbie...
I've always wondered that too!
#11 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 PM

I used to make something similar - I used cold raw milk in the blender with peanut butter & banana - sometimes I'd add carob powder or cocoa powder.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#12 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 PM

anyone add an egg yolk? the idea of chocolate milk with an egg yolk sounds really good to me right now :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page