yay my water kefir grains aren't dead! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-17-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hadn't used my water kefir grains in a looooong time. Like, since last summer I think. But I've had a sore throat and I just felt like some juice kefir so I hauled them out (I stored them in filtered water in the fridge) and plunked them into some (expensive) unfiltered apple juice. And for a day and a half, nothing happened. I mentally called them dead, but I didn't get around to emptying out the container for another half-day, and then - miracle of miracles! - little bubbles started to form on top, and I could see a small amount of fizzing at the bottom. This morning it's going pretty well, and it smells right. So they weren't dead, just sleeping!

I am posting this in case anyone else has similar troubles... just give them a couple of days before you give up on them!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#2 of 8 Old 04-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Maybe mine are sleeping too - I neglected them on the counter for 10ish days until I finally got around to dealing with them. I used to be able to see the bubbles come up while it was on the counter, but I don't see them anymore. I will taste it in a few days and see if there's been any action.
#3 of 8 Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM

mine are in danger too *crosses fingers* I hope they bounce back! I just put them in fresh juice last night and no bubbles yet.
#4 of 8 Old 04-18-2008, 12:02 AM

Ahhh yes, I have done that too.

CluckInAZ- it might be better to use just water, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Juice can stress them out if you use it continously, I've killed some keeping them too long in juice. RIP water grains

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#5 of 8 Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 PM

I get juice from WIC and I got the grains specifically for the hoards of juice WIC provides. Juice is across the board bad for the grains?
#6 of 8 Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 PM

No, not across the board bad. Just if you continuously use juice they will eventually get stressed out and may not work properly. Then you need to brew plain for a while to get them back "in shape".

If you have enough grains you could rotate them in the juice. I did that for a while and need to do it again, I love kefir juice! A blueberry juice blend is my all time favorite

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#7 of 8 Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 AM

Sigh - mine are dead I took out my back up supply from the freezer last night and got them going, but I don't see any kind of action happening this morning. How long does it take frozen grains to resume their activities? I have a sinking feeling they are dead too
#8 of 8 Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Give them another 36 hours before you write them off completely. They may surprise you yet.
JumpStart28 likes this.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page