OV Pastured Butter - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had any problems freezing Organic Valley's pastured butter? I have an opportunity to get a good deal on some and I'm trying to decide whether to get it. I'd need to buy a bunch of it and freeze it.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#2 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 PM

I've frozen all kinds of butter, and it's always been fine.
Can't tell the difference once it's thawed!

I just got OV Pasture Butter for the first time recently, and I was disappointed to see that it's no more yellow than any other butter I've bought. Don't know if that's the only marker to figure whether it's really better than average organic butter...

Makes me all the more thankful that my local farmer is milking again and I can go back to making my own raw, bright-yellow butter!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#3 of 10 Old 04-18-2008, 02:57 AM

Julie, are you talking about the stuff from Azure? We got it last time and froze it. Of course, we didn't need to as we have gone through over half of it in just over a week Anyhow, it freezes great. I will agree that it's a bit of a bummer that it isn't super yellow, but I expect as the season progresses the butter will become more yellow. The taste is amazing though, for sure!
#4 of 10 Old 04-18-2008, 04:02 AM

I freeze it constantly, its great. nak
#5 of 10 Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 PM

Does anyone know if OVs cows are mostly pastured or completely pastured? Are they given any grain supplements? I'd love to get some of this butter if it's 100% grass-fed.

Does anyone know of 100% grass-fed brands of butter?

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#6 of 10 Old 04-19-2008, 08:45 PM

Since OV sells a pastured butter as opposed to their regular butter, I don't think all their cows are pastured. Their regular milk products are probably not 100% pastured.

Kerrygold is supposed to be 100% grass fed. You can read about it on their site. It is highly recommended in the WAPF buying guide.

Natural by Nature, made in PA, is also supposed to be grass fed. It's not as readily available in stores as Kerrygold, but I like it since it's more local.

I don't know of any other brands of grass fed dairy. I get most of my dairy raw from local farm sources.
#7 of 10 Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 PM

From what I know of OV farmers their practices run the gamut. Pretty much all you can be sure of with them is that they are USDA Organic - much more a letter of the law thing as a whole than the spirit of the law. That's not to say that individual farmers might be different, but you just can assume that for the bunch. Just like any other farmer putting out any other large scale product I guess.
#8 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajessica View Post
Julie, are you talking about the stuff from Azure? We got it last time and froze it. Of course, we didn't need to as we have gone through over half of it in just over a week Anyhow, it freezes great. I will agree that it's a bit of a bummer that it isn't super yellow, but I expect as the season progresses the butter will become more yellow. The taste is amazing though, for sure!
Yeah, they have a decent deal and I was thinking about getting a case. Honestly I'm trying decide whether it's worth the cost.

Thanks everyone for the info!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#9 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 05:07 PM

I've frozen all kinds of butter w/ no problems. I put the original package into ziplock bags.

I buy Pastureland butter at our local store. http://www.pastureland.coop/ It's very yellow. They only make butter in the spring & summer when the grass is green.

Even if the cows are 100% pastured, the butter will be less yellow in fall & winter. Many Organic Valley farms are here in WI and they get fermented grass in winter, so the butter is less yellow even though it's still 100% grass-fed. Most Organic Valley farmers try to maximize the pasture time for the animals and only use feed as a last-resort. They've selected their 100% pasture farms for their new grass-fed butter.
#10 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 11:35 PM

I used to buy OV Cultured butter because I though the cultured aspect was redeeming, but now I get Kerrygold because it is 100% pastured AND cultured. It's also a little cheaper (I pay $2.69 for 8oz at TJ), and the flavor is better. I would try the OV pastured butter...but since it sounds like it costs more than Kerrygold I don't know if it would be worth it.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page