How to eat fenugreek seeds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read that fenugreek is good for balancing insulin production, which DH desperately needs. So I've got these raw fenugreek seeds and I'm not sure what to do with them. Grind them into flour and add to a bread recipe? Sprout them and eat raw on salads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 PM

Fenugreek is a curry spice, so I would imagine it would impart a pretty strong flavor to your bread. I'm not sure, though, since I haven't tasted it by itself. What I would do (and thought about doing for awhile) is to grind it up using a coffee/spice grinder and encapsulate it.

That's my .02, for what it's worth.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#3 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 PM
RAF

I take fenugreek. I bought an encapsulator and some powdered fenugreek. I make capsules and take them throughout the day. I also make tea with the whole seeds. It is good if you like maple! Fenugreek can make a person smell maple syrupy. You can also sprout the seeds and add them to food.
#4 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

So it's okay to eat the sprouts raw? No cooking required?

Why do you take capsules throughout the day, and how many? (If you don't mind my asking.) What are the health benefits?
#5 of 18 Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love them as sprouts! You can either toss them on a salad or into a curry.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#6 of 18 Old 04-20-2008, 02:18 PM

Fenugreek is used a lot in South Indian cooking. If you can't find a good way to use them, maybe look for some South Indian curry recipes?
#7 of 18 Old 04-20-2008, 04:48 PM

One of my local shops sells a cheese (gouda?) with fenugreek seeds in it. Very nice.
#8 of 18 Old 04-21-2008, 01:30 AM

I grind them and use them in infusions. Cinnamon also regulates insulin, so you can add that to your regimen as well!
#9 of 18 Old 04-21-2008, 02:13 AM

Fenugreek info on kellymom.

That's probably why MDC moms take it, to boost milk production.
#10 of 18 Old 04-21-2008, 11:24 PM

They sell fenugreek seeds for the purpose of sprouting so I'm guessing a lot of people do it it that way. I love it sprouted. Can't eat it though because of the extreme milk boost

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#11 of 18 Old 04-22-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

What I remember from Nourishing Traditions is that cinnamon doesn't regulate insulin - it increases it. That's why NT recommended putting a dash of cinnamon in sugary desserts, to get your insulin flowing to handle the sugar. In the case of a person whose body already overproduces insulin (like a diabetic or prediabetic), that sounds like it wouldn't be a good thing.
#12 of 18 Old 04-22-2008, 03:34 AM

In India , I know older people take fenugreek seeds especially diabetics.
Soak a teaspoon of seeds overnight and eat it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.Gulp it down its too bitter to chew, but if u can chew it then go for it!
Also, its used very sparingly in some indian recipes. I know its used in making kadi, then a dish with pumpkin and in some south indian recipes as a seasoning. Indian stores also carry methi( fenugreek) leaves.

here is a link to a very nice blog and read the lower part of the page for more on the seeds.
http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/ar...ek-seedsmethi/

Pari, Student, Job Seeker and mom to K (2006) and A(2011)

#13 of 18 Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
What I remember from Nourishing Traditions is that cinnamon doesn't regulate insulin - it increases it. That's why NT recommended putting a dash of cinnamon in sugary desserts, to get your insulin flowing to handle the sugar. In the case of a person whose body already overproduces insulin (like a diabetic or prediabetic), that sounds like it wouldn't be a good thing.
It's a standard supplement herbalists use for diabetes. It is used across the board for people with regulatory issues. It can be used when you cannot produce insulin or if you overproduce and are resistant to it. It is fabulous for hypoglycemia. It doesn't increase insulin, it acts as a substitute so your body is required to produce less of it.

http://heartspring.net/diabetes_cinnamon.html
http://herbal-powers.com/cinnamon.html
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/41026.php
http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1397&zTYPE=2

"More than 170 million people worldwide suffer from diabetes, and for many, drugs or other forms of treatment are unavailable. It may be possible that many of these people could benefit from readily available natural products such as cinnamon," said Graves.

This is the news that is most exciting for people who respond to low-carb diets, since most (or at least a substantial percentage) of us are probably insulin resistant or diabetic. Several studies have shown improved insulin sensitivity and blood glucose control by taking as little as ½ teaspoon of cinnamon per day. Improving insulin resistance can help in weight control as well as decreasing the risk for heart disease, so this has a lot of people interested. Although the results of preliminary studies are somewhat mixed, the majority of the research seems to be pointing in the direction of cinnamon being beneficial. Along with the improvement in blood sugar, these studies have documented improvements in triglycerides, blood pressure, and LDL cholesterol.
#14 of 18 Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting! Thanks for the info about cinnamon and diabetes. A few years ago DH had temporary good results with a low carb diet (temporary because we took a loss in income and had to go back to a rice & beans diet afterward). But last year he stayed on near-Induction-level low carb (at his doctor's recommendation) for 8 months and I don't think he lost a pound. He was about 80 lbs overweight and pre-diabetic (still is).

Now he's been able to lose 20 lbs by doing a detox juice fast (Master Cleanse) followed by the Milk Diet. Currently he's doing the 40-day Maker's Diet healing regimen, after which he'll just stay on TF.

I've added fenugreek sprouts to his salads, and will look into the cinnamon too. Is it something you have to get a naturopathic herbalist to prescribe, or can you just take a few cinnamon capsules a day without any bad side effects?
#15 of 18 Old 04-22-2008, 04:54 PM

you can get capsules at any health food store. He may want to look into chromium and vanadium too.
#16 of 18 Old 06-27-2014, 04:18 AM

Smile Gouda kaas met komijn

Those aren't fenugreek as you thought they're cumin seeds. I know because I've eaten it loads of times and I'm Dutch.
#17 of 18 Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 PM

I used to soak fenugreek seeds with my oatmeal overnight in Keizer and eat that for breakfast with raisins and cinnamon. Now I mostly just sprout them to eat on salads. I started taking them when I was breast feeding my oldest. Logically I should have quit eating them when my youngest weaned about a year ago. However i still crave them on occasion so I try to make a jar of sprouted fenugreek once a month. Sometimes I add it with ginger to make a tea with honey but not too often.
#18 of 18 Old 07-12-2014, 11:32 AM

How many capsules of Fenugreek should i take a day and when, if i am making them myself?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page