How much raw milk do you go through in a week? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a newly licensed raw dairy 15 minutes from my house. They are just a small family farm with a few jersey cows that are pastured. And, they bottle in glass . We just recently started to incorporate dairy back into our diets (DD1 had been allergic to dairy but isn't anymore). If I buy a gallon at a time at their farm store, its $10 a gallon, but if I buy from their "cowshare" which is basically a commitment to buying 1 gallon every week or bi-weekly, its $8 a gallon. So, I'm really considering doing their cowshare program.

Problem is, I have no idea if we could consume 1 gallon a week or if I'd be better of doing it bi-weekly. We are a family of 4, but my youngest DD prefers mama milk to cows milk I do not do a lot of cooking with milk currently, because we were dairy free for a long time.

I'd love to hear how much milk others use per week, and if you do things with it besides drinking it straight. I couldn't resist the urge to make raw milk ice cream when we first got ours which consumed quite a bit, but I really don't need to be eating ice cream that often

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#2 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 02:02 PM

There are three of us who drink raw milk, me, my son, 7 and my daugter,3. My husband does not like milk at all and the baby prefers mine. So three of us go through 4 gallons a week. I LOVE milk and can easily drink a quart a day, sometimes more. If we cook we need more than 4 gallons.We also go through 3 quats of kefir( just me, kids don't like kefir) and 2 quarts of yogurt( 3 kids). Then we also eat cheese and ice cream from raw cream at least twice a week. Shall I mention diary is the biggest part of our grocery bill?
#3 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 02:07 PM

We are not big milk drinkers, and we drink a minimum of one gallon a week. A gallon is not really very much at all, over the length of a week. It works out to one small glass of milk per person per day, for the three of us (me, DH, and our 2 1/2 year old DS ... baby DD doesn't drink cow milk yet).
#4 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM

wow, that's so expensive! makes me glad for the $4/gallon i pay! it's cheaper than buying organic pasteurized swill at the store!

we go through about 2 gallons a week, and none of us really drinks milk too often. the kids will maybe have 2 or 3 small glasses of it over a 2 week period. but i make kefir every day, and yogurt at least once every other week (2 qts at a time), and i use milk it for cooking/baking. and DH puts it in his coffee each morning (and when i'm not pg, so do i).

i have found that we consume a lot more raw milk than we ever did when we bought pasteurized milk. the kids refused to drink it at all, and it gave me a stomach ache, so it was really just for yogurt making and DH's coffee and for occasionally throwing into a recipe. we certainly used less than a gallon a week. and we increased our consumption when i started making kefir, too.

the thing you have to think about, really, when buying into a cow share is how often you think you *won't* be able to use it. like if you're going out of town. you need to factor in the initial buy-in cost, and figure out how long it will take before you're really paying less per gallon. and then you need to factor in how often you think you'll skip the milk but have to pay for it anyway, and then decide if the obligation is going to be a real cost-savings for you.
#5 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 03:02 PM

When we started using raw milk we only went through about 1/2 gallon a week. Now we use about 3 1/2 gallons. Me and my hubby use the most, but since we started making smoothies the two children are drinking their fair share too.
#6 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is for four of us and is mostly consumed by my two youngest children, (DD#1 doesn't drink it), 4 gallons of cow's milk, and around a gallon of cream (depends on what's available), I make butter, kefir and cultured butter milk also. I will be adding 1/2 gallon of goat's milk and some goat milk kefir soon too when the goats start producing again.

I have cow shares so pay $7 a gallon for cow's milk and $16 for half a gallon of goat's milk.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 04:17 PM

We have cow shares (glass bottles too) and pay $7 per gallon. We purchase
2 1/2 gallons per week. It's just DH, myself, and 4 yo dd. If the milk was cheaper we could go through 4 gallons a week no problem. I'd love cream too, but it's $8 per quart which is too expensive for us.
#8 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 04:37 PM

I am getting raw milk starting next week. I make a 1/2 gal of yogurt a week and we drink about 1 gal of straight milk a week. I am anticipating that our consumption will probably increase to 2 gal a week, as I really stopped drinking much milk because pasteurized milk tastes so bad.

ETA: I will be paying $6.00 a gal, so cheaper than organic milk from the store.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#9 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 PM

I get 3 gallons a week at $6 gallon. I consume at least a quart a day by myself (nursing DS) and I use it to make yogurt and kefir for smoothies. DH refuses to drink it (it still freaks him out--silly boy) but he consumes it in his smoothies. I skim the cream off each week to make butter or ice cream : I consider it to be a fundamental protein source so the cost is worth it (not that we pay a lot--I know it's a good deal)

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#10 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 05:47 PM

15 minutes from your house, yay!

we go through about 4 gallons a week, and that's only for myself, DH and DS.

FYI, you can freeze raw milk with very little nutrient loss (see first FAQ here.)
#11 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 05:54 PM

together, the oldest 3 of us, drink about a gallon a day! but that is from our own goats, so we are paying for feed instead of milk. After goat-weaning, I am looking forward to finally having enough milk to experiment with cheese :
#12 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 06:41 PM

We use a gallon/day for drinking and cooking. The rest is for cheese and other dairy products. We do have our own cow, though.
#13 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
the thing you have to think about, really, when buying into a cow share is how often you think you *won't* be able to use it. like if you're going out of town. you need to factor in the initial buy-in cost, and figure out how long it will take before you're really paying less per gallon. and then you need to factor in how often you think you'll skip the milk but have to pay for it anyway, and then decide if the obligation is going to be a real cost-savings for you.
The way I understand the cow-share program is just more like it is a commitment to buying regularly from them, so there is no "buy in" cost. If I agree to buy X amount on X day, they'll reward that commitment with the $2/gallon discount.

Sounds like it won't take too much to go through a gallon a week... I guess what made me hesitant is when I was just buying it for DH and I we struggled to go through 1/2 gallon a week, but it wasn't nearly as tasty or fresh as what I have access too now, and now that DD can have it I'm much more motivated to culture it and use it for other purposes.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#14 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 10:52 PM

Well, we use a lot out of necessity, as we have dairy goats. I keep us stocked in kefir and yogurt as well as various soft cheeses (mozzarella, farmer's cheese, chevre, etc). When it's hot I'll make a couple of different kinds of ice cream (my boys like one kind, my daughter likes another).

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#15 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 PM

we aren't big drinkers here. so for me, hubby, my 7 yr old son, and 10 yr old daughter, a gallon (at $4.25) can last us a week or sometimes longer. it kinda depends on if i use it for cooking (rarely though). i do find that the raw milk doesn't spoil as fast as the stuff form the store which is sort of ironic because that stuff is supposed to be "cleaner"!!! hehe
#16 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 PM

It's just DH and I. I don't drink much -- maybe 1 small cup every few days. But I make a quart of kefir every week. DH loves milk and we go through about 2 gallons every week.
#17 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 PM

We don't have the option of a cow share program but the price of raw milk here is also $8/gallon. If it's just my toddler and I drinking the milk we go through 4 gallons a week. If DH drinks it too then around 6 gallons a week. We use it fresh and kefired.
#18 of 32 Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 PM

We have 4 folks (2 32yo grown ups, a 5yo, and a 2yo) and go through about 3 gallons a week.

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#19 of 32 Old 04-22-2008, 03:44 PM

if you think you would make things with it besides fresh milk, the sky is the limit. because we have cows, we mostly have a lot of milk. right now we get about 2 gallons a day and use every last drop. in late summer/ fall we'll have 2 cows newly in milk. maybe something like 8 gallons/ day. then we'll sell some or get some pigs. we are two adults (i'm pregnant) one 5 yr old, one 3 yr old and one 18 mos old.

things to think about making:
yogurt. i make almost a gallon at a time. it lasts about a week here.
buttermilk for culturing other things, for drinking, for pancakes, etc
sour cream (i make 2 quarts a week!)
kefir
cottage cheese and other soft cheeses
mozzarella (easy and melty goodness!plus ricotta from the whey)
hard cheeses. i have a press and am just starting to make these and wax them.

i also use a lot of milk in custards and quiches. i pour milk into my eggs when i scramble them. dh and i use at least a pint of heavy cream every morning for our coffee. and i make a lot of butter, which freezes well. i dont think you'll find you'll have too much.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#20 of 32 Old 04-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Seven and a half gallons right now, but I'm just getting into making yogurt, cheeses, etc.

Also, my toddlers each drink about 20 oz a day.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#21 of 32 Old 04-22-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid View Post
Seven and a half gallons right now, but I'm just getting into making yogurt, cheeses, etc.

Also, my toddlers each drink about 20 oz a day.
Yeah- who can get by with just 4? We go through 6-10 gallons/week (And I drive almost 100 miles each way for it!) and that is just making a little cheese and a little kefir. When my cow is producing we go through about 20 with cheese and butter and buttermilk and yogurt and kefir and ice cream.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#22 of 32 Old 04-23-2008, 05:52 AM

I can't imagine having to drive 100 miles to get my milk. Wow. I also can't imagine having my own cow either. LOL

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#23 of 32 Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 AM

I kefir 4 quarts of milk per week for myself. DH only does dead milk.
#24 of 32 Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM

We get 6 gallons a week for our family of 8 (2 adults & 6 kids). I only skim the cream to make butter - I haven't ventured into culturing anything yet.

We pay $2.50/gallon .

#25 of 32 Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 AM

6-10 gallons a week??? Wow, I am impressed. We go through 2 gallons right now, and most of it goes toward kefir and yogurt.

Can any of you ice cream makers give me a good recipe? The ones we got with our yogurt maker isn't that great.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#26 of 32 Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM

I read several other responses and thought that we must be freaks. There are 5 of us and one on the way in November. We all looooooove milk and use it for kefir and yogurt too. We go through 5 gallons a week and even more just recently because of my pregnancy. Whew! My 17 month old DD drinks 24 oz. a day and my 3 and 5 year old DS's drink 16 oz a day and they would love more. The guy we buy from jokes with me about being some kind of dealer where I resell the stuff. I really need to get more so all our cheeses are raw too but that really isn't in the budget! We pay 6.50 a gallon. Not bad compared to lots but definately a big chunk of our food budget.
#27 of 32 Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 PM

I drive 51 miles each way for my milk because I love the farm and the milk is bottled in glass. My 2-year-old dd and I go through 2-3 gallons a week, more if I make yogurt. I buy cream separately to make butter.
#28 of 32 Old 04-25-2008, 04:04 AM

My DH and I use about 2- 2 1/2 gallons per week at $8 each (DS likes mine, but will eat yogurt and fruit/yogurt/milk smoothies), plus our dairy makes a large variety of cheese and cultured butter, we make yogurt & creme fraiche. Luckily we work for the dairy, and they also have drop offs for those of us who are too far to drive (they drop it with their reefer truck.

Iowaorganic: where are you located? Do you get milk out of state? I could not find it when we were living there.

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#29 of 32 Old 04-25-2008, 11:31 PM

3-4 gallons a week of beautiful, glass bottled raw milk! We supplement in the summer with my son's favorite, raw goats milk. I do lots of smoothies in the am, we often make hot chocolate, and my youngest loves a HUGE glass with lunch.
#30 of 32 Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM

We live in a cow share state, too.

There are 7 of us at home that drink milk right now. We have shares to get 7 gallons a week. I do make yogurt with it. And I take off some heavy cream as our cows are only milked once a day and it has a bit more heavy cream than usual. So, I also get a pound of butter and 6 cups of buttermilk out of that.

I imagine that we will be buying more shares soon, as my college kids come home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page