should you stay away from raw milk if you're pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we're making raw milk ice cream and we were thinking of bringing some to our friend who is pregnant. she's worried about listeria. is it safe for her or should i just make it with pasteurized milk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM

I suspect that a lot of people who read this forum feel that it's safe to consume raw milk at any point.

I don't have a regular source of raw milk but if I did, I would have drank it during pregnancy. Do you trust your raw milk source?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:00 PM

One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't know about raw milk when I was pregnant with my son. I would not hesitate to consume it while pregnant and in fact once I do become pregnant again, I will probably budget to drink even more than I do now. The key is to find a trusted source (one you visit and can see that the milk is processed in a clean manner) where the cows are pastured (sun does wonders for killing germs).

There is a new DVD out that discusses the benefits and safety of raw milk as well as the significant drawbacks to pasteurized milk. Everyone I know who's seen the movie has sworn off pasteurized milk for good. If you search Google for Chef Jem and Raw Milk Fact or Fiction you should find info for ordering the DVD. I'm really glad I got a hold of it. Great info.

There are also four video clips of the DVD posted on You Tube (just search under Chef Jem).

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM

Japanese women probably think Western women are silly for avoiding sushi while pregnant, for example. You can also get listeria from pasteurized milk, but it is rare. As long as your milk is clean and from a trusted source, you shouldn't have a problem. After all, you haven't gotten listeria, right?

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM

everything they said

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
Old 04-21-2008, 06:14 PM

When I asked my midwife if I should be concerned about drinking raw milk while I was pregnant she told me she'd be more concerned if I drank pasteurized milk.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

thank you mamas for your replies. this was my gut feeling but i thought i would consult you first. so glad i did!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:59 PM

on this forum, we all agree that raw milk during pregnancy is not a bad thing, but the person you need to ask most before doing it is the pregnant woman. No matter how "safe" a food is, if the idea of it stresses her out, please don't give it to her.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 PM

my best pregnancy yet was fueled by raw milk

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluckyInAZ View Post
on this forum, we all agree that raw milk during pregnancy is not a bad thing, but the person you need to ask most before doing it is the pregnant woman. No matter how "safe" a food is, if the idea of it stresses her out, please don't give it to her.
of course i wouldn't do that. before i even thought of making this for her, i asked her. she was concerned, so i asked you. if she's still concerned, i'm not going to force feed her raw milk. that would be ridiculous.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze View Post
When I asked my midwife if I should be concerned about drinking raw milk while I was pregnant she told me she'd be more concerned if I drank pasteurized milk.

This is my feeling as well. However I fully trust my source (it's me!); if I didn't I might feel differently (however, I wouldn't just run out and buy a carton of milk, even organic. There is a local creamery that lightly pasteurizes its milk that I would probably buy from).

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 AM

i drank raw milk the whole third pregnancy! and i'm fine. yes we do trust the farm we buy from. we go every week or every other week (depends on how much the kids drink that week...) to fill up. when we first started going i talked to the guy there and he was more than willing to answer any questions i had... he still is actually! it's family run, and they get inspected twice a month he said. anyhow, i just wanted to mention that i drank raw milk while pregnant and still do. as far as the momma, like the others said, just give her the info and let her make the decision. she'll appreciate the fact that you are asking her!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 AM

While I would have no problems about drinking raw milk during pregnancy, if I did not know where the original source was, I might not want to. (In other words, if I was in your friend's shoes and I didn't know the people the milk was from, I probably would decline to eat the ice cream.)

User Tag List