My frequently-sick NT toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been NT going on 4 years now. I was very strict about it for the year before I conceived, and all throughout my pregnancy. I hardly ate a thing that wouldn't be approved by SF herself. So, along comes DS, and his birth was beautiful and much less painful than I expected. He weighed 7lbs 12 oz, but shot up to the 90th percentile within a couple weeks. I was a milk-making machine. When DS got older, his weight began to drop, until he was in the 25th percentile. He developed black circles under his eyes. He came down with colds frequently, and the colds would last for weeks on end. They also often developed (and still do develop) into bigger issues, namely bronchitis and ear infections. DP and I have been very upset over this for a long time now. I know that kids get sick, but my kid seems downright sickly. Even when he's not sick, he's got those damn circles under his eyes, and the number 1 comment made about him is that he "Looks tired." I suspected a food allergy a long time ago, so I cut back (back when ds was ebf) on all the obvious suspects for a couple weeks, with no change in ds. I also took ds to a very expensive Doc who was into homeopathy and was natural-medicine inclined. He did not suspect a food allergy. So time goes on, and I finally took ds to a naturopath who agreed that ds likely has a food sensitivity. I got him blood tested for it yesterday, but I am feeling very upset and sort of betrayed by my scrupulous NT diet. When I read SF or Aviva Jill Romm's "Healthy Babies and Kids," I read that it is my fault that ds is unwell. I fed him too many of the wrong foods. In fact, DS enjoys a wide variety of foods. He did love and consume a lot of raw milk, raw cheese, cultured dairy, and pastured eggs, but that's exactly what's prescribed by SF. We have ready access to, and enjoy, the best quality foods. I was very into TF foods and herbs, and even met my DP at herb school. It was kind of ingrained in me that when kids are sick, it's the parent's fault. I felt that way too, and I never imagined I've have a kid who got sick so much. On the flip side, though, ds is a very beautiful child, with a large, perfectly shaped head, wide palate, and very pleasing facial features. I'm not going to stop eating or feeding my family TF foods because I still agree with the diet, but I just am having a hard time getting over the notion that if you do everything "perfect" with your kid, they'll never have any problems. I cringe when I hear parents brag about how their kids didn't get the sniffles until age 10 or something. It makes me feel like a horrible mother. Of course, if my DS never got sick I'd attribute it to his "perfect" diet. I guess this post was mainly a rant. It's an issue I've been struggling a lot with lately, so I suppose I needed to get it off my chest.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 05:27 PM

oh- We try our best as moms and you are doing great- but somethings just happen regardless of how hard we try. I really hope you find out why your dc is having problems.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 PM

Please don't feel bad. Were you or your DH like that as children, or anyone else in your families? Do you buy your veggies from one CSA or all locally? (I'm thinking mineral deficiency from soil depletion..?) It's also possible it's a food allergy - just because something is generally health-giving doesn't preclude individuals from not tolerating it.

Also there are any number of environmental factors that could be at work - air pollution, water pollution, too many or not enough minerals... your son could just be more sensitive to factors like that than most people. And, it may just be something he'll grow out of. Is he cheerful and active otherwise?

ETA: I should stress that it's NOT your fault, any more than parents who have sturdy healthy kids they regularly pump full of junk can take credit for their health. We do the best we can with the kids, the environment and the options we have, right? Could you - would you - honestly have done anything different? It could be worse, he could be in and out of hospital with some immunological disorder or on an asthma inhaler or whatever, but as it is he has sniffles and dark circles under his eyes.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 04-22-2008, 06:02 PM

Wow, you're amazing! Good job for being convicted about your nutrition and health, and putting so much work into it. I admire you. And good job for getting it off your chest, that helps so much in the process.

As far as "doing everything right" I really understand you. As much as I love the nourishing traditions philosophy, and we stick to it pretty closely, I have found in our personal journey of health that "health" is made up of much more than just what we put into our mouth. That was a hard-come conclusion for me, because nutrition was fast becoming a religion to me...almost. Anyway, that doesn't sound like your journey, but I did want to add an insight that we are combination of our ancestors in many ways---on a cellular level, spiritually, mentally, etc. We are are sum of many parts. Their experiences have been recorded into the dna and passed on to us. We are still responsible and accountable to the knowledge we gain, and that is the beauty of it all that we can do better than those that came before, there is still weaknesses past down. In my family we have gut issues. My dad is trying (finally) to find answers for his severe digestive problems. His whole life (he is now 60) he just thought this is the way he is, he just has a weak stomach. He was led to a doctor who has pointed him in a better direction, and he is doing better. But I believe it is not just because of how he has eaten his whole life (which is not great), but also due to bitterness and fear that reside deep within passed down from his father. I don't mean to get too much into this, sorry! All that to say, it is not your fault You'd know if it was, if your son was eating twinkies and sugar cereal, etc. But you stay true to what you have learned.

Like I said before, I seriously admire what you do for your family. It is NOT easy! Blessings to you, and don't be hard on yourself. You are on your journey. And in many ways, it sounds like he is thriving. And as you seek answers, you will find them.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Please don't feel bad. Were you or your DH like that as children, or anyone else in your families? Do you buy your veggies from one CSA or all locally? (I'm thinking mineral deficiency from soil depletion..?) It's also possible it's a food allergy - just because something is generally health-giving doesn't preclude individuals from not tolerating it.

Also there are any number of environmental factors that could be at work - air pollution, water pollution, too many or not enough minerals... your son could just be more sensitive to factors like that than most people. And, it may just be something he'll grow out of. Is he cheerful and active otherwise?

ETA: I should stress that it's NOT your fault, any more than parents who have sturdy healthy kids they regularly pump full of junk can take credit for their health. We do the best we can with the kids, the environment and the options we have, right? Could you - would you - honestly have done anything different? It could be worse, he could be in and out of hospital with some immunological disorder or on an asthma inhaler or whatever, but as it is he has sniffles and dark circles under his eyes.
You know, I saw a pic of DP when he was little, and he had black circles, too. DS is a lot like DP. It was my unfortunately incorrect understanding that a good diet can trump genetics.
We get our groceries from the grocery store DP works for. All the veggies are organic, and as local as possible.
DS can be quite cheerful and is very active, but he's also a rather difficult, demanding child who is extremely sensitive and set off on emotional outrages easily. I really hope that is b/c of a food problem.
Right, I don't think I would have done anything different, except insist that he be allergy tested sooner. I did neglect to add in my post that I am grateful that he doesn't have any serious health issues, and that I don't want to offend anyone who does have a seriously sick child by complaining about my ds's problems. My concerns are that I went out of my way to avoid a child with health problems, yet he still contracts colds constantly, stays sick for about a month at a time, and sometimes requires the help of a doctor to get over it. I feel that if I don't stop the underlying causes of his weakened immunity, then more serious conditions wont be far off. He just gets way too sick too easily, and he's not in daycare or around other kids very often.
Hmmm... I'm having a problem quoting the other replies, but Quella, I definitely agree that we are the sum of all the people who went before us. My side of the family seems to have sinus problems and ds has had plenty of issues with his sinuses.
Thank you for the supportive replies, I am feeling better already

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 PM
AJP

I know how you feel. It's hard to not get down on yourself, blaming yourself for your child's issues, when you've read and assimilated all this TF stuff that says if you just eat this, this and this and feed it to your child, they will have perfect health. We have problems with baby teeth in my family. I had defective enamel on mine, and both of my kids have as well, resulting in early and extensive decay. It was partly my first son's tooth problems that lead me to a lot of the TF ideas (I was looking for nutritional answers as to why he had such a problem, worse than my own had been), and I ate a very TF diet (including CLO and grassfed raw dairy) for 4 years prior to conceiving my second child, continued throughout pregnancy, and the whole family continues to eat TF today, and yet my second child's baby teeth are just as bad as my first child's. I mean, they are really bad - not a few little cavities here and there, but crumbling away and deep holes. Their jaw and facial structure is good and their teeth have plenty of room, but the baby enamel is so vulnerable. I resent the implication in much of the TF-oriented stuff that basically says nutrition (their recommendations) will fix anything, and I feel betrayed by my own expectation that my second child would have perfect teeth because I "knew better" than with my first. I think they (TF writers) foster that expectation, and don't often acknowledge that sometimes even kids with "perfect" diets and very conscientious parents have problems, like what yours and mine have. It's disheartening and I have trouble not feeling angry about it.

Guess I needed to vent, as well. I am, in fact, very grateful that neither of my kids have health issues aside from the baby tooth problem (and permanent teeth seem okay with my first, too soon to tell with #2). I do strongly believe in the health benefits of whole, traditional foods and a nutrient-dense diet, we are in general very healthy, but I resent the tone from a lot of the TF gurus that food is the answer to everything, and anything that goes "wrong" is because we didn't do it "right". Intellectually, I know it's not my fault that my kids have this problem, but in my heart I blame myself, and a lot of the TF stuff encourages that blaming inclination, either with direct language or by not acknowledging that sometimes the answer isn't so simple (did I say "simple"? ha! simple would be getting take-out food every day...)

Take it easy on yourself as you search for the answers to your child's challenges.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
I know how you feel. It's hard to not get down on yourself, blaming yourself for your child's issues, when you've read and assimilated all this TF stuff that says if you just eat this, this and this and feed it to your child, they will have perfect health. We have problems with baby teeth in my family. I had defective enamel on mine, and both of my kids have as well, resulting in early and extensive decay. It was partly my first son's tooth problems that lead me to a lot of the TF ideas (I was looking for nutritional answers as to why he had such a problem, worse than my own had been), and I ate a very TF diet (including CLO and grassfed raw dairy) for 4 years prior to conceiving my second child, continued throughout pregnancy, and the whole family continues to eat TF today, and yet my second child's baby teeth are just as bad as my first child's. I mean, they are really bad - not a few little cavities here and there, but crumbling away and deep holes. Their jaw and facial structure is good and their teeth have plenty of room, but the baby enamel is so vulnerable. I resent the implication in much of the TF-oriented stuff that basically says nutrition (their recommendations) will fix anything, and I feel betrayed by my own expectation that my second child would have perfect teeth because I "knew better" than with my first. I think they (TF writers) foster that expectation, and don't often acknowledge that sometimes even kids with "perfect" diets and very conscientious parents have problems, like what yours and mine have. It's disheartening and I have trouble not feeling angry about it.

Guess I needed to vent, as well. I am, in fact, very grateful that neither of my kids have health issues aside from the baby tooth problem (and permanent teeth seem okay with my first, too soon to tell with #2). I do strongly believe in the health benefits of whole, traditional foods and a nutrient-dense diet, we are in general very healthy, but I resent the tone from a lot of the TF gurus that food is the answer to everything, and anything that goes "wrong" is because we didn't do it "right". Intellectually, I know it's not my fault that my kids have this problem, but in my heart I blame myself, and a lot of the TF stuff encourages that blaming inclination, either with direct language or by not acknowledging that sometimes the answer isn't so simple (did I say "simple"? ha! simple would be getting take-out food every day...)

Take it easy on yourself as you search for the answers to your child's challenges.
Totally! So I wasn't only one to pick up on the attitude from TF people that "Nutrition is everything! If something is wrong, it's your fault!" SF comes off as very strict and unyielding when it comes to food choices. I wonder if any of her 5 kids ever got sick. I'm learning that nutrition is about more than the foods you eat.
I recently purchased Jessica Prentice's "Full Moon Feast." It's awesome! She is so much nicer-sounding than SF. I was surprised that she uses a SF no-no, *gasp* cocoa, in her recipes.
I'm sorry about your dc's baby teeth. Sheesh, how awful for them

Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 PM

I feel like the crazy lady saying this, but could it be gluten related? I have a gluten sensitive child so I tend to see it everywhere I don't think good prenatal nutrition can help with that one at all either.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma View Post
I feel like the crazy lady saying this, but could it be gluten related? I have a gluten sensitive child so I tend to see it everywhere I don't think good prenatal nutrition can help with that one at all either.
:

I and my DS also get allergic shiners from seasonal allergies. I'm hoping the nettles I'm using this year will help with that.

<>< Alison
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM
RAF

I have to agree with the other poster who mentioned gluten. That is what came to mind right away when I read your post. My older daughter and I both have gluten sensitivity. The dark circles are most definitely an allergy/sinus thing. I don't know that eating TF really solves gluten sensitivity, although I hear from SF of course that it does. I really don't buy it.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'll know for sure in a couple weeks what his food problems are. I took him in for a blood test yesterday. It was so, so hard to do that. He was quite a trooper for it, especially since he's also sick right now I'm positive that he has a problem with dairy, but this place that does the bloodwork tests for over 80 foods, so I'll know just what to cut out. It was my understanding, though, that by properly soaking your grains, and consuming only raw and cultured dairy products, that food sensitivities could be avoided. I've learned otherwise.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:00 AM

the black circles may be what are called "allergic shiners".

nutrition is hugely important, but genetics DO play a role, as do other environmental factors that cannot be controlled as easily. don't blame yourself, you are obviously a very caring and devoted mother. just imagine what the effects might have been if your son did not have such good nutrition his whole life, starting before he'd even been born!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 AM

My son's health is pretty good despite my terrible pregnancy diet. My own health is what suffered in that case, not his.

I get as obsessed with food as just about anyone, but the nutrients in food will only really help if there's a deficiency situation. Not all conditions are tied to deficiencies and not all of us have deficiencies.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 AM

I want to "ditto" almost everything!

I was such a gung-ho TF-er for a while... reading everything I could and really feeling superior to the general populace because *I* was doing things *right.*

Ugh.

I was never perfect with it, but I was pretty darn good, and I can't say I've seen much of a result. I spent some time feeling bitter, but am moving on. I recently discovered that the kids and I are all gluten-intolerant, and the only dairy they can handle is fresh raw goat. I can't have any dairy at all, nor soy (oh, darn), sorghum, coconut (waaaah!), and have to watch how much citrus I eat. To say I'm cranky about all those allergies would be an understatement.

Traditional foods are good, but they can't undo generations of damage from poor eating. My mom was weaned early onto bottles of condensed milk with Karo syrup. Shockingly, she's diabetic with really bad teeth. Then, she was poor while pregnant with me, and didn't eat well. I ate poorly as a child and was sick all the time... lots of allergies... so even though I ate well before and during my pregnancy with my third child, he's not perfectly healthy. Too much damage for too long.

I wanted to say that blood tests for allergies can't always be trusted. They do offer some good info... but if it comes back saying there isn't a dairy allergy, but you suspect one, don't just say "oh, no problem with dairy then." Trust your instincts and experience with your son over what any tests say.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 AM

Just poppoing in you might want to cut out gluten longer than a few weeks- to a few months to see full effects.

Gluten intolerance leads to gut problems, leads to dairy intolerance to in some folks, myslef included.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 04-23-2008, 02:03 PM

As PPs have said, I think you definitely want to consider cutting out both gluten and dairy for a while, even if the blood tests come back negative--they aren't 100% accurate, particularly in kids under 5. And it doesn't generally work to "cut back" on suspected allergens, you need to eliminate them completely, for at least a month in the case of dairy and at least 6 weeks for gluten. Also, naturally occurring food chemicals can cause a lot of health problem and behavioral issues as well, and NT style diets tend to be very high in naturally occurring food chemicals--and food chemical sensitivity will not show up on any test, the only way to determine it is through an elimination diet. Here's a couple of links about food chemical sensitivity. www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.com www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info

I no longer believe that if you just eat the perfect diet you and/or your children will have perfect health. I did everything "right" with DD, except that I ate a whole foods diet and not an NT one during the pregnant, and switched to an NT style diet right after her birth. She was born at home, no antibiotics, no OTC meds, no vaxes, etc...and she still has multiple food intolerances and extremely crowded teeth, in spite of all the HVCLO I took. That is really frustrating to me since all her playmates eat the SAD, generally don't have food intolerances (or if they do, the symptoms are certainly less obvious than DD's), and do not have crowded teeth.

And I'm not entirely sure TF has been worth it for my family--I certainly have a whole lot of digestive problems now that I didn't have pre-TF, in spite of eliminating at various times a wide variety of foods. I'm intolerant to rice now, intolerant to wheat and probably gluten, too, and I don't seem to do well with grains at all, although I used to be fine with them. Plus TF is a lot more work, a lot more expensive, and socially isolating.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:32 PM

Ds1 used to have really dark circles under his eyes, and was frequently sick like yours, leading to ear infections, etc. He also had digestive issues for a while (impaction). So when his allergy test results came back showing wheat and dairy, I wasn't surprised, but I was very very sad! We had been consuming large quantities of raw milk from a local dairy, and lets not forget the fresh ground organic flour He would get cold after cold, and he'd have a lot of fluid left lingering in his ears, to the point where his hearing was frequently affected, not to mention the ear infections.

Anyway, we took out the dairy and the wheat for the past year, and his issues dramatically improved. Dramatically. He only had 1 cold this past winter - ONE!! Even though his little brother (intolerant to eggs but not dairy/wheat) and sister would get them, he just wouldn't. It was great for him. Finally, his adenoid was removed this past February. It was very enlarged and obstructing his nasal passageways as well as inhibiting drainage from his ears. I think the dark circles have improved further since the surgery, and he is now able to breathe properly through his nose (although we have a lifetime of habit to start to counter).

And also, we recently re-introduced wheat to prepare him for a celiac screen. He had the bloodwork done through a company that specializes in it (Promethius), and it came back normal I think being gluten/dairy free for the year really helped his gut. He still has issues with dairy, but he has some tolerance for it.

Anyway, I thought I'd write this all out in case any of it can be useful for you. Like many of the pps, I can totally related to your frustration, sadness, anger, bitterness, etc! I never ever thought I would ever be dealing with allergies in myself or my children...
Old 04-23-2008, 05:13 PM

I was all TF until I found out my son was casein (from cows, he's fine with sheep), gluten (no matter if fermented), and salicylate intolerant, and sensitive to amines. So regardless.. most of that food is bad for him. We still eat all the fat, lots of meat and eggs, zero processed etc. but there can be things that affect him. His physical description sounds like your son btw. and the dark circles came from gluten, and were intensified by dairy.

btw. celiac is a very narrow definition, and you can be intolerant to gluten without being celiac... most people who are sensitive are not celiac. Also! We used to allow him oatmeal once we got rid of gluten but he reacted to that grain as well, even though it was the gluten free kind.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I was confused for a long time about how to eliminate the toxic foods from DS's diet. The doctor I took DS to when he younger kind of pooh-poohed it when I asked him if dairy would need to be eliminated for a month or more. I also kept hearing and reading that kids grow out of food sensitivities anyway, and to remove a food from their diet completely would cause malnutrition. I stopped giving DS dairy a few days ago, and DP has a wheat intolerance that we just discovered, so that's out, too. It's so very hard, since I have to do a complete re haul of the foods we eat. If DS can't have certain foods, then I can't, either. He loves milk and cheese, so I can't just eat it in front of him. Those are some of my favorite foods, too! DP and I decided to just really scale back on the foods we purchase, and just do simple meals. NT gets ridiculously expensive, and we even get 20% on groceries b/c DP works at a local market. We going to do more Indian cuisine, which doesn't even use a lot of the big allergens (to my understanding, anyway.) I just feel really let down about NT. I know I was being naive to think that proper nutrition would be the answer to most of life's health issues, but I had so much faith in this diet. It's disheartening that it hasn't worked out as well as I'd hoped.
bigknitwit (love the name, as I am another knitting-crazed mama) your DS's former problems are just like my DS's. Funny, I had my adenoid removed as a child, too. DS breathes pretty noisily even when he's not sick. One of my goals with the NT diet was to give DS a better nose that mine and my dad's little pinched thing. I remember reading on this forum a while back that it can take a few generations to reverse the damage caused by all the crappy eating our forebears did. But the NT diets seems to be causing food sensitivities and digestive problems in people who wouldn't ordinarily have them.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo View Post
I remember reading on this forum a while back that it can take a few generations to reverse the damage caused by all the crappy eating our forebears did. But the NT diets seems to be causing food sensitivities and digestive problems in people who wouldn't ordinarily have them.
Yes, it is true that it takes several generations to reverse damage. I don't see how TF diets cause digestive problems/sensitivities in people who wouldn't ordinarily have them. I see that the numbers of people with food allergies and gluten intolerance are increasing all over the board, and that is mostly in people who eat the standard American diet. When I found out about my food allergies and that of my daughter, we weren't eating TF at all. Most of the people I know with these intolerances eat the SAD, as well.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo View Post
IBut the NT diets seems to be causing food sensitivities and digestive problems in people who wouldn't ordinarily have them.
It may also be that it is not causing the sensitivities, just making them more noticeable. My dd is sensitive to dairy, and now after cutting it out for a while she has a worse reaction to it than before. It's much more noticeable because she is overall healthier.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
It may also be that it is not causing the sensitivities, just making them more noticeable. My dd is sensitive to dairy, and now after cutting it out for a while she has a worse reaction to it than before. It's much more noticeable because she is overall healthier.
Well, that's something to think about, too.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
I agree with this. If you're experiencing a lot of symptoms many of them won't even be noticed, since some of them are glaringly obvious and other are low grade. The better you feel, the more you notice smaller things, or even mental things. I was pretty sure gluten didn't bother me much, until I had gotten rid of a lot of other things and finally gave it a chance. It's amazing to see how clear and happy your mind is when it's not clouded by foods that bother your particular body. Mental and serious physical problems are rampant in my family... I'm the only person who has changed due to dietary manipulation, and one of the only adults not on medication for various issues. Eating TF and finally eliminating most of that TF lol, didn't make me sensitive to things, I already was, and noticed more and more things the "better" I got. I love food too, honestly the only thing I won't go back to eating on occasion just to have some is gluten, because it feels worse than the worst hangover/depression I've ever had and lasts almost a week.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:37 PM

I wanted to reiterate looking at gluten and milk sensitivity. We have to let go of the guilt. We do the best we can. Feeding our kids fresh, real food is good. I think we just need to drop the NT (not TF) paradigm that we all need copious amount of milk and wheat and if we just have the right milk and soaked grains then everything will be roses and sunshine.

I think we need to take a different view. I really think that for the most of us milk and grains are not optimal, regardless of source and preparation. In terms of evolution they are relatively new foods for us. Besides the fact that there were plenty of groups that WP studied that didn't have either in their diet. So, I don't see it as any defect that many of us have issues with these foods.

I don't believe it is not that other people don't have issues. They are just ignored. I know numerous people that have signs of issues but just ignore them. Mainstream and not, constant ear infections, constant colds, constipation, diarrhea, dark eye circles, no energy. They just refuse to connect these issues to food. I think we as agroup are just more aware. I think as others have stated as well that once you remove other things that underlying issues become more obvious.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_s View Post
I agree with this. If you're experiencing a lot of symptoms many of them won't even be noticed, since some of them are glaringly obvious and other are low grade. The better you feel, the more you notice smaller things, or even mental things. I was pretty sure gluten didn't bother me much, until I had gotten rid of a lot of other things and finally gave it a chance. It's amazing to see how clear and happy your mind is when it's not clouded by foods that bother your particular body. Mental and serious physical problems are rampant in my family... I'm the only person who has changed due to dietary manipulation, and one of the only adults not on medication for various issues. Eating TF and finally eliminating most of that TF lol, didn't make me sensitive to things, I already was, and noticed more and more things the "better" I got. I love food too, honestly the only thing I won't go back to eating on occasion just to have some is gluten, because it feels worse than the worst hangover/depression I've ever had and lasts almost a week.
I could have written this post exactly! The more I eliminate from my diet (TF and otherwise), the better I feel and the more I notice if I em somehow exposed to something I have already eliminated.

My family thinks I am *CRAZY*for not eating like they do, which is frankly, much worse than the SAD.

I think you will find, that even if you (or your family) are not eating exactly as Sally Fallon says, you can still eat "traditional". TF are great, in the absence of generations and generations of poor eating habits and/or being exposed to foods that are even mildly allergens.

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

I don't believe it is not that other people don't have issues. They are just ignored. I know numerous people that have signs of issues but just ignore them. Mainstream and not, constant ear infections, constant colds, constipation, diarrhea, dark eye circles, no energy. They just refuse to connect these issues to food.
YES!!! To many easy superficial ones are (to us) so very obviously gluten and dairy, but they're two mainstays of today's diet. Even moreso where I am, in Germany. Bread and cheese are both an art here in Europe, admittedly spectacular tasting but just really bad for so many people.

I've learned to just keep my mouth shut when it comes to other things. Kids behaviour problems.. yes, the majority of the time it boils down to food. PMS and menstrual cramps? Yes.. it's the natural chemicals in healthy food (salicylate) that directly cause menstrual cramps. You don't always need to take supplements to get better, sometimes you need to eliminate problems instead. But no one wants to believe that you can't just be fixed with a pill and that food matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post

My family thinks I am *CRAZY*for not eating like they do, which is frankly, much worse than the SAD.

I think you will find, that even if you (or your family) are not eating exactly as Sally Fallon says, you can still eat "traditional".
Yeah in my mind what is most important is what will work well with our bodies (my family) and that happens to be food that is not processed. Meat, eggs, animal fat, clarified butter because it tastes good and we do use sheep milk products because they don't bother us. Rice does cause a reaction when used too much or too frequently but I use rice flour/tapiocaflour/potato flour to bake all kinds of things to help the kids not feel left out when the other kids are all eating everything and they're stuck with meat They can have my own pound cake, poppyseed cake, muffins or shortbread cookies all made from things that they are ok with. I actually do "process" meat in the food processor and cook it in a variety of ways, and we eat pure, nothing added sausage but I don't know if that counts as processed.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
And I'm not entirely sure TF has been worth it for my family--I certainly have a whole lot of digestive problems now that I didn't have pre-TF, in spite of eliminating at various times a wide variety of foods. I'm intolerant to rice now, intolerant to wheat and probably gluten, too, and I don't seem to do well with grains at all, although I used to be fine with them. Plus TF is a lot more work, a lot more expensive, and socially isolating.
I could have written this. One moment, I feel like I'm so much better health wise, as is my son...the next, I have 15 other things I'm allergic to...and it gets more and more stressful, the TF way of life. Hopefully I'll find some balance in all of this soon. Just wanted to say that I feel your pain...
Old 04-25-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

This thread has helped me a great deal in getting over my anger w/NT. I understand now that I have frustration with NT, and not a TF diet. I am grateful that I found out about TF foods and started them prior to getting pregnant. I feel fine now about the fact that some foods are just not going to suit my family.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_s View Post
PMS and menstrual cramps? Yes.. it's the natural chemicals in healthy food (salicylate) that directly cause menstrual cramps.
I have to disagree with this--at least for me, I still had cramps even after months on a very low salicylate diet. Magnesium gets rid of my cramps very quickly, so it appears that mine are due to a magnesium deficiency. But then, I'm not sensitive to salicylates so perhaps for those who are, they can cause cramps.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
I

Traditional foods are good, but they can't undo generations of damage from poor eating. My mom was weaned early onto bottles of condensed milk with Karo syrup. Shockingly, she's diabetic with really bad teeth. Then, she was poor while pregnant with me, and didn't eat well. I ate poorly as a child and was sick all the time... lots of allergies... so even though I ate well before and during my pregnancy with my third child, he's not perfectly healthy. Too much damage for too long.
And traditional foods didn't prevent all this, either. My great grandmother grew up on a farm, the daughter of fairly well-off German immigrant farmers. She was tall and strong and healthy as a horse and into my childhood memory told stories of all the good milk and eggs they ate on the farm when she was growing up. And she had awful "hay fever" as she called it, every year.

My other great grandmother, a French Canadian farmer's daughter, had asthma (and the recommended remedy at the time? Smoking some plant rolled into herbal cigs!)

My grandfather was born the year after his parents came here from the Netherlands, where they lived on good milk, cheese, eggs, and fish ... and he had awful, awful, seasonal allergies.

I have pictures of all these relatives - they were all tall and well formed with faces right out of WAP pictures. Great teeth that they kept into their 80s, straight bites, whole nine yards). But horribly, horribly allergic to their surroundings.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

User Tag List