bloody egg??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just cracked an egg and it was RED inside instead of white/yellow. It was also drippier. The yolk was intact.

This is an egg from a local farmer that is from pastured hens, etc.

Thankfully, when I cracked it against the counter it seeped a little red and I didn't crack it into the bowl with the other four!

I'm so curious! After I saw the red, I expected to see an embryo when I cracked it over the sink...like a balut!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM

The "white" was completely red? If so that's creepy. I've gotten little dots of red, which I assume are embryos from an egg that accidentally got fertilized.

I'm pretty sure that if this were the middle ages you'd be on the stake getting ready for the townsfolk to light it up, though.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 04-25-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
I'm pretty sure that if this were the middle ages you'd be on the stake getting ready for the townsfolk to light it up, though.
I guess it's a good thing that mothering.com is anonymous!

Yeah, it was all red and drippy like watery blood. I will mention it to the farmer in case it's an indication of a sick chicken.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 PM

Please tell us what the farmer has to say about it...
Old 04-25-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Please tell us what the farmer has to say about it...
They really had no idea. She said that they collect daily and if they are ever not sure if it's an egg from that day then they eat it at their house. The only idea she had was that maybe the chicken had been on it for a while and they had made a mistake and sold it to me instead of using it. I found out that they are fertilized, so I guess she was thinking it was developing, but the yolk seemed intact and uniform in orange/yellow goodness until it splatted in my sink.

Strange!

I'm not upset, just curious.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:52 PM

Up until a week or so ago our chickens' eggs were fertilized (we killed the rooster just over a month ago) and I got quite a few bloody eggs. I always crack into a small bowl first now. The past week or so we've had no issues - so I do think it just happens sometimes with fertilized eggs (hens store sperm for approx 30 days, which is why it took about a month for them to no longer be fertilized).
Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting! Thanks. It was all bloody instead of white with an intact yolk?? The biologist in me is so curious. And I love that birds can store sperm! So cool!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:20 PM
AJP

I got an egg like that once from one of my hens (only once that I know of, in over 10 years of keeping hens). IIRC, we had no rooster at the time so I don't think it has anything to do with whether it was fertilized or not. There was no indication of disease in our flock. I think sometimes it just happens, if a capillary breaks in the hen's system while the egg is being formed, or something similar. Same as with the specks sometimes in eggs, whether blood spots or tissue-like globs, they're just something that was present during egg formation which gets incorporated (those little clumps are not partially-developed chicks, we get them sometimes even with no rooster around).

The bloody egg was gross, but my belief is that it's just something that happens sometimes, and I doubt it indicates anything wrong unless it happens persistently. It's good you told the farm, so they can keep track of whether it happens again.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
I got an egg like that once from one of my hens (only once that I know of, in over 10 years of keeping hens). IIRC, we had no rooster at the time so I don't think it has anything to do with whether it was fertilized or not. There was no indication of disease in our flock. I think sometimes it just happens, if a capillary breaks in the hen's system while the egg is being formed, or something similar. Same as with the specks sometimes in eggs, whether blood spots or tissue-like globs, they're just something that was present during egg formation which gets incorporated (those little clumps are not partially-developed chicks, we get them sometimes even with no rooster around).
Neat! That's really good to know. I always felt bad when I got one of those eggs, like I was eating a poor lil would-have-been-a-chickie.

This thread makes me jealous of those of you who have chickens! I live in a metro area but have always wanted to raise chickens.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 04-25-2008, 05:54 PM
RAF

Hmmm, well we have ducks, and those eggs with the reddish whites really do seem to be tied to developing ducklings. I have never found an egg like that that hadn't been setting somewhere for more than a few days from a duck who had mated at some point. The yolks don't dissappear right away just because the duckling is developing, they stay there but get more watery and break more easily. Maybe I am thinking of something different than what you found, but when I have found the red in the egg white, it usually looks like arteries or veins in strands kind of attached to the shell on one side, which I think is how the duckling starts to develop.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
AJP

The bloody egg I got didn't look like veins or strands in the white, the entire white of the egg had blood dispersed through it - it was still translucent, not like pure blood, but like blood and egg-white thoroughly mixed together. It was also definitely collected within 24 hours of being laid, from the nest box in the hen house. RAF's description sounds different than my experience, and I think different from the OP's.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:03 PM

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago, scared the crap out of me and ruined a batch of cookies

It was exactly as you described....creepy.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
Old 04-26-2008, 12:05 AM

it is like others have said, an injury or capillary breaking while the egg was shell-less in the hen. this and blood spots absolutely nothing to do with roosters or fertilization, it is a fact. blood spots seem to be inherited, or so i have read, and a bloody egg like you describe can happen occasionally.

in my experience, a developing embryo is impossible to mistake for anything else. and they cannot be found in eggs that are gathered daily. a hen has to set- that usually means that a week or more's worth of eggs have gathered in a single nest and setting has begun.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 AM

I got one of these once from a local lady, I never knew why it was like that.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 04-26-2008, 12:31 AM

It happens. There is nothing wrong with the chicken...it just happens sometimes. You don't see them in commercial eggs because computerized lights ferret them out.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post
Interesting! Thanks. It was all bloody instead of white with an intact yolk?? The biologist in me is so curious. And I love that birds can store sperm! So cool!
Yes, I've had quite a few where the white was essentially thin and reddish, yolk intact. The sperm storing thing is pretty cool...there are a few things I remember from being an animal science major!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:12 PM

That makes sense that the yolks are intact, though. I always heard that the yolk doesn't turn into the baby chick. The baby chick grows in the white and gets food from the yolk.

User Tag List