Ground Meat recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done a search for this topic but couldn't find--can you help me with some ground meat ideas?
Ground is the only grass-fed meat I have readily available to me.

Spaghetti, chili, meatballs & meatloaf are tired in my house.

Knittin', knit.gifsingin', cookin' Sara , newly single, doting auntie.
#2 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 04:21 PM

Shepard's pie

Brown ground beef, place in casarole pan, veggie layer on top of ground beef, (optional) and mashed potatos on top, bake at 350 until potatos are nice and crispy.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#3 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM

I was going to say Shepherd's Pie too. Here is our recipe.
In a large cast iron frying pan:
-Fry some onion in butter til tender
- Add and cook the beef
-Add some frozen peas and some diced carrot if you like, cook til tender
-Season with lots of savory herbs, beef stock and even a cube of Rapunzel buillion if you like.
- Top with mashed potatoes made with milk, butter, salt, pepper and onion powder too if you like.
- Put pats of butter all over top of mashed taters. Place in oven and bake or broil til taters are just starting to crisp. MMmmmm

Also tacos are yummy! With sprouted corn tortillas.
#4 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 PM

The local farmer where we buy our grass-fed beef has recently relocated, and we have been without beef for several months now, so we have been dreaming about what we will eat when they are back in business:

How about plain old hamburgers cooked on the grill? We like to add caramelized onions, bacon, cheese, and sometimes chili.

Cooks Illustrated has an amazing recipe for homemade gyros that can use either ground lamb or ground beef. We've only done it with ground beef and it is yummy!

Shepherd's pie

Beef with broccoli (brown the beef and then add some beef broth and broccoli, steam the broccoli and add ginger and soy sauce, water chestnuts, and sliced green onions if you have them)

Bacon double cheeseburger pizza (we do this with homemade sourdough)

Oh, I can't wait to have beef again!!!
#5 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Don't forget a layer of shredded cheese in your shepherd's pie!
I use corn, carrots and diced zukes as my veggies layer. Yum!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#6 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM

We love Shepards Pie and I have a recipe for it in my blog lol http://onebusymama-erica.blogspot.com/

We are having bunless hamburgers tonight.

I've also put it in vegetable soup before. Hobo Dinners are a favorite here also, just a hamburger patty, a pat of butter, some sliced taters and sliced carrots and onions, salt and pepper. Put in a small baking dish cover, bake, and there you be.
#7 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 PM

101 burger ideas:
http://food.ivillage.com/mainingredi...,,9r5c,00.html

meatballs, meatloaf, tacos/taco salad, browned and combined w/ cream cheese and salsa (had sausage like this last night and served it over cooked shredded cabbage), burgers, browned with cabbage and throw some soy sauce/sesame oil/green onions on top...

eta: google "crackslaw" for some variations

I also make "whitecastle pie" and top w/ chopped pickles and mustard=
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/white_castl...urger_pie.html
#8 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 PM

I make sloppy joes out of it. Tacos or burritos. I like to mix it into mashed potatoes with some cheese and veggies for a one-pot meal. Pumpkin moussaka is another favorite around here that uses it. I also add it to any pasta dish, but especially if I'm making mac & cheese for DH. You can also stuff it into any number of things... squash, eggplant, tomato, pepper, onion, potato. Growing up a favorite dish during the summer was a packet made of sliced onions and potatoes with ground beef and plenty of s&p... wrapped up in foil and tossed on the grill until everything was cooked through. Super simple.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 AM

Meat muffins are very versatile. Cook the ground beef and blend it with some eggs, add whatever spices you want and salt and bake in mili muffin tins (silicone works really well). The texture is very bready, and they're great with all kind of toppings, dips, plain, cold, gravy.....
#10 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 AM

We buy mostly ground beef because it is so affordable... You can really add a cup of cooked ground beef to anything - salad becomes taco salad, pasta salad, mac-n-cheese like pp said... You can also stretch w/ pinto or black beans to make it go even further...

We eat chili a lot!

We also do Burritos (like tacos, but I add a little sour cream and cheese while cooking). Then I put topping on the table and everyone makes their own - My ds gets heady from the control . We do Nachos like this also, but I still use the microwave to heat up : I saw on another thread that you can put on a large jelly roll pan and bake enough for the whole family...

Another family favorite is Patty melts - I make hamburger patties on the griddle (really thin) and then fry up onions and mushrooms (only for DH and me), then I smoosh it all w/ cheese into sprouted bread and cook on both sides and serve w/ a spicy mayo-like sauce... It is fabulous.

You guys are making me hungry - I have to go eat something before I pass out!!! YUMMM........
#11 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 12:28 PM

Your patty melts sound wonderful!
I am sorry if these are dumb questions
what is sprouted bread?
And what do you put in your mayo sauce?

Thank you for sharing!
#12 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 12:49 PM

i get stuck for ideas when it comes to ground beef, too. we do pasta sauce, taco meat and chili. dh does not like meatloaf. the biggest ground beef hit in our house is meatballs, but not with tomato sauce... i make them with gravy made from lots of bone broth and serve it over rice. : taco meat freezes well, i make a big batch at a time.
#13 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you guys! These are all great ideas. I forgot, I do make shepherd's pie. Beef & broccoli never occured to me but that sounds good. Gyros, yum. Moussaka, also forgot about. This will help a lot!

Knittin', knit.gifsingin', cookin' Sara , newly single, doting auntie.
#14 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM

I just made a g.beef tamale casserole saw at whole foods flyer. super duper easy and it actually tasted good LOL

1 pound ground beef or bison
1 (15-ounce) can ranchero beans (I used freshly made pintos)
1 jar medium salsa (again used fresh made tamatillo salsa)
1 (12-ounce) box gluten-free corn bread and muffin mix
1 egg
1 1/3 cups low fat buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 (4-ounce) can diced mild green chiles (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large sauté pan, brown meat, breaking up any large pieces. Drain well and return to stove. Add beans and salsa, stir to combine and simmer over medium heat 5-7 minutes. Let cool slightly then spoon into a 9x12-inch casserole dish. Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions, using the remaining ingredients above. If desired, mix drained green chiles into batter. Carefully spoon over top of beef mixture. Smooth out to cover. Bake 15-20 minutes until cornbread is lightly brown and filling is bubbling.
#15 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Sprouted bread is made from sprouted wheat, and it is easier to digest - it digests like a vegetable... My ds and I try to only eat sprouted wheat.

The mayo sauce would be mayo, ketchup and cayenne, but since I am avoiding msg - I am having to mess with it... So I make homemade mayo, then add sour cream and my spice mixture (garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne and sea salt)... then I continue to mess with it until it is palatable.
#16 of 29 Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 PM

I posted a while ago a recipe for German Beefsteak. Here it is again! It is from a cookbook that belonged to Dh's grandfather. It is a really nummy recipe!

1 lb of hamburger
1 med yellow onion, diced
4 T butter, cut into 4 pieces
salt and pepper

Mix hamburger, seasonings and onion together. Form into oval shaped patties, pressing the butter into the middle of the patty. Shape the meat over the butter, so it is fully incased inside the patty. Cook until desired doneness. The recipe talkes about serving it with a mushroom/onion gravy made from flour, the drippings in the pan and water, although I use beef broth. Sooo good! I serve it with broccoli and cauliflower (lightly steamed) baked in a cheese sauce (think mac n cheese without the mac!) Homemade cheese sauce of course!!

What is also good is to take the general idea and put blue cheese in the middle of the patty and serve with a good pat of butter on top.
#17 of 29 Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 PM

Ground grass-fed beef and lamb is the only thing we have access to and can affoard at this time. Grass-fed ground meat is just as yummy as a steak to me, though...since it's so high quality. Here are our favorite things to make with it:

Ground beef:
1. meatloaf patties (basically seasoned burgers, topped with BBQ sauce)-super quick
2. spaghetti sauce over spaghetti squash
3. swedish meatballs (after you saute meatballs scrape up the juices with beef stock, simmer down and stir in creme fraiche)
4. ground beef stroganoff (same idea, just don't form into balls and add mushrooms and onions)
5. tex-mex casserole (ground beef, sprouted corn tortillas, baked beans, cheese, salsa...bake and top with creme fraiche and more salsa)
And burgers, sloppy joes and tacos ofcourse

Ground lamb:
1. curry (with carrots, onions, red pepper, peas and coconut milk)
2. moussakka
3. sheperd's pie
4. gyros (just cook meat with garlic, paprika and oregano- serve in a sprouted grain pita with diced red peppers, cucumbers, shredded lettuce, goat cheese and greek yogurt)
5. lamb burgers (served without bun, just with a cucumber, pepper and tomato salad with yogurt on the side)

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#18 of 29 Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutS4us View Post
I posted a while ago a recipe for German Beefsteak. Here it is again! It is from a cookbook that belonged to Dh's grandfather. It is a really nummy recipe!

1 lb of hamburger
salt and pepper

Mix hamburger, seasonings and onion together. Form into oval shaped patties, pressing the butter into the middle of the patty. Shape the meat over the butter, so it is fully incased inside the patty. Cook until desired doneness. The recipe talkes about serving it with a mushroom/onion gravy made from flour, the drippings in the pan and water, although I use beef broth. Sooo good! I serve it with broccoli and cauliflower (lightly steamed) baked in a cheese sauce (think mac n cheese without the mac!) Homemade cheese sauce of course!!

What is also good is to take the general idea and put blue cheese in the middle of the patty and serve with a good pat of butter on top.
This sounds great...quick question: what shape do you form once the butter is inside? like a patty or an ovoid or a huge meatball? Also, it sounds like you're cooking them in a pan, is that right? Thanks!!
#19 of 29 Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 PM

Hi Feb2003--

Silly me! Yes, they stay in the oval shape with the butter in the middle, and yep, fry in a pan! I usually make a mushroom/onion gravy with the drippings (toss in a bit of flour, stir to cook a bit, add some broth and milk/cream and season to taste)
#20 of 29 Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Thanks!! Of to change the shape and fry them up! YUM
#21 of 29 Old 05-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Let me know what you think Feb 2003! We did ours with blue cheese tonight! Dh couldn't decide which was better the meat or the mushrooms!
#22 of 29 Old 05-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Let me know what you think Feb 2003! We did ours with blue cheese tonight! Dh couldn't decide which was better the meat or the mushrooms!
It was delish! I did some with butter for dss and blue cheese for me and dh. I used what I had:
-1# grass-fed ground beef (needed to be used asap)
-medium white onion
-butter
-Amish blue

I would decrease the white onion next time or use yellow like you suggest...it was too much onion flavor for the dss. Dh and I loved it, however, even without a pan sauce (I was lacking white flour and mushrooms). I served it on a bed of baby spinach with tomato slices.

Quick, easy and different from one of our regular burgers. Thanks!!
#23 of 29 Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 AM

I just couldn't read all these great recipes without adding this one. My SIL lives in Italy and got this recipe from her MIL.

RAGU

1 carrot
1stalk celery
1 onion
1 lb ground Beef
8 oz. canned or fresh tomatoes
1 cup water
1 stick of butter
1 cup of milk
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste

Sauté finely chopped carrot, celery and onion in a bit of oil or butter, until tender. Add ground Beef and cook on low heat until cooked through. Add tomatoes and water and continue to cook . After about 15 minutes add milk. Salt and Pepper to tasted. Stir until everything is really well mixed. Cover and cook on low flame (heat) for 3-4 hours. (Yes 3-4 hours). Take of heat and cool and, put it in the refrigerator over night (this gives it time to really soak up all the flavors)

This is soooo yummie. I eat it over brown rice pasta, brown rice or all on its own.

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#24 of 29 Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlwons View Post
put it in the refrigerator over night
I eat it over brown rice pasta, brown rice or all on its own.
This sounds fabulous! Do you eat it cold, warm, or hot?
#25 of 29 Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post
This sounds fabulous! Do you eat it cold, warm, or hot?
Normally hot....but I eat it anyway that I can....:

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#26 of 29 Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 PM

This may sound weird. It's a Hawaii thing. It's called a "loco moco." It's a bowl with rice, a hamburger patty cooked with green onions in it (or you can just do ground beef, not in a patty form), sauteed onions, an egg or two (I prefer them over-medium or -easy), and gravy.
#27 of 29 Old 05-15-2008, 02:42 AM

wow...thanks for all the great ideas!!

anyone have good recipes for beef strogonoff, meatloaf or a veggie, beef and barley soup?

we desperatly need some new ideas around here. thanks!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#28 of 29 Old 05-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:

1 lb of hamburger
salt and pepper
Oh my! Meat and butter..this sounds really good! I was just searching for ground beef recipes because I bought a lot of that yesterday.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#29 of 29 Old 05-15-2008, 02:15 PM

I'd love a good sloppy joe's recipe. We used to eat them years ago with manwich sauce (don't even want to know what is in that!)

they tend to come out sort of Mexican when I make them now. I want a recipe with lots of flavor - but not necessarily Mexican

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page