Can you freeze raw milk, cream, cheese and butter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Without altering the taste. I think freezing raw milk would alter the taste a little but I really don't know.

I am ordering a bunch of raw dairy products and would like to freeze as much as I can.

I only want to freeze cream for ice cream.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos. Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, you sure can!
Butter freezes no problem, and I think cheese is the same, although it apparently changes in texture a bit afterward. IF I remember right, previously-frozen cheese still grates well.

For milk, you'll want to add a teaspoon of baking soda per gallon (I *think* that's the amount... it's been a while, because I'm allergic to dairy at the moment.) Shake it up, make sure to take about a cup of milk out (to allow for expansion), and freeze.

In my experience, raw cream doesn't freeze well. The texture changes significantly. However, frozen cream is better than no cream at all!

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#3 of 4 Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 AM

We freeze raw milk all the time and it doens't alter anything except the homogenization a bit. When it thaws, instead of all the cream settling at the top, it will be somewhat mixed throughout in little tiny creamy particles. We dont' add any baking soda to it, and we don't take any milk out either - but then we get it in plastic bottles not glass.

Freezing butter is fine too. I think some cheese the texture may change slightly and I've never frozen cream.
#4 of 4 Old 05-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Butter, no change, it works exactly the same, and can be frozen for several months.

Milk, will not be quite the same. The taste is fine, but the more fat in the milk, the clumpier it will be. The cream will just not mix back in, as the structure of the fat molecules changes somewhat. Someone here will have a more scientific answer for this, but I can't remember it at the moment, sorry!

Cream, I guess is probably similar to milk. We've done it before to use for butter making, but not much else.

Cheese, if you are going to freeze it, I recommend grating it first. It tends to become more crumbly after freezing, which makes it difficult to grate. Taste and color are not usually affected.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page