your day of realistic TF eating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you eat on a typical day, say, today for instance? I feel like I need some inspiration to keep things going and frankly, just more ideas of how people eat day in and day out. I'm nursing and busy and need snacks, easy meals, long-term viable TF eating solutions!

yesterday:
4 bowls chicken soup with potatoes, barley, leeks, stinging nettles, dulse
potato wedges that DP brought home
(yes, that's all I ate - argh!)

Today so far:
breakfast:
2 slices sourdough rye volkenbrot (the really dense, thin stuff) with butter
2 pastured eggs, cooked in butter - yolks still runny

lunch:
slice sourdough rye bread w/ slice raw cheese

snack:
slice sourdough bread with almond butter

dinner:
nettles sauteed in butter and olive oil
2 runny eggs
2 slices sourdough rye

2 glasses prune juice

whew, a lot of bread. in my defense, our fridge is broken so we don't have a lot of groceries around atm. Plus bread is just easier to grab when dd on a huge nursing streak like today!

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Today I have been quite busy so we have had easy things. This morning I had no time for breakfast after getting the kids fed and ready, so I took an apple and a pear out with me. Usually I would take some cheese as well but for some reason I didn't today. Lunch was some left over beans and a sausage each. Dinner was the last of the roast pork from sunday, salad and a potato salad of sorts made with left over new potatos, yogurt and horse radish.
We eat a lot of soups. I make big batches when I make them, enough for eat a meal from now, put a meal in the freezer and put at least one portion in the fridge for if I need something to eat in a hurry. Now summer is coming around I really need to replace soup though!
Quick crustless quiches are another easy favorite. I put cottage cheese (could use yogurt cheese), eggs, cheese and a raw onion in the food processor. Blend it (doesn't have to be perfectly smooth) and put it into a cake tin with a silicon paper case inside (means I don't have to scrub the tin). I add any left over meat/veg that is lying around and then bake it for about half an hour. It is great hot or cold - I often put one in the fridge for snacks. If you are feeling more creative you can use sausage meat as a base - just pour the quiche mix on top.

Hope some of that helps

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

Old 05-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Well I only just ate lunch today so not much so far. Normally I have a kefir smoothie for breakfast with fruit and raw egg, but today I skipped it and had bacon & eggs instead. Then I had some cheese for a snack and cold steak sliced on greens with radishes and a nice little salad dressing with sesame and grapeseed (i know, not tf) oils, vinegar, soy sauce, dijon and honey for lunch.

I dunno what's for dinner, I'm feeling a little uninspired. It may end up being fish & chips. : But last night it was steak, baked potatoes and cauliflower, all slathered in homemade raw butter. Mmmmm.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 05-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Today we had oatmeal (soaked overnight with whey) with raw cream and berries. Lunch was hummus, carrots, red pepper, raw cheddar cheese and pita wedges. Dinner is lentil soup with sausage and kale and some crusty bread with butter. I will freeze half for another night. I am also fond of the quiche for dinner and lunch the next day. Our CSA starts this week, so I am looking forward to lots of salads. Dinner salads with grilled salmon on top with a creme fraiche dill sauce, yum.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossbackmom View Post
Dinner salads with grilled salmon on top with a creme fraiche dill sauce, yum.
Yum indeed, I think you just gave me the dinner inspiration I needed!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 PM

Here's my day and it's somewhat typical, though lately there's been a lot more variation since i'm newly pregnant and sometimes everything grosses me out:

3 eggs for breakfast
piece of fruit in the morning
cheese or glass of milk if i'm still hungry

big salad for lunch - many veggies and shredded cheese and if i have it, meat too. i use a homemade vinaigrette with olive oil and apple cider vinegar and garlic

dinner:
baked chicken and rice and steamed vegetables

evening snack is usually veggies and dip or cheese and fruit

I hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 PM

breakfast: eggs scrambled in tallow with extra yolks and bacon

snack: blueberries and cheese

lunch: chuck roast and homemade macaroni

snack: fruit and yogurt popsicles

dinner: fried cheese quesadillas (in coconut oil) with sour cream and salsa

we usually don't eat so many carbs!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 PM

Wow ... those are some great ideas, thanks for this thread ... I tend to get stuck in a rut.

I'm nursing a baby, and have 2 toddlers, so we stick with a lot of the simple things for us. We went grocery shopping last night, so we don't have anything cooked up yet.

we drink raw milk liberally with all of our meals/snacks and throughout the day, I drink probably close to a 1/2 gallon daily

breakfast: soaked (with kefir) oats w/ raw butter, berries, nuts
snack: crackers and raw cheddar cheese
lunch: Ezekiel raisin bread and hard boiled eggs (from pastured hens)
dinner: split pea soup with multi-grain bread, homemade, but not soaked :

momma4fun ... how do you make macaroni and fruit and yogurt popsicles?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 PM

A normal day is
B-natural pork sausage, coconut milk and berry smoothie and/or green veg with coconut oil or butter
L-Leftovers from last night--usually meat and veg or stew
S-organic pb off a spoon or nuts
D-meat and veg

nak
jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 PM

My breakfast normally consists of an egg fried in butter, glass of kefir, apple, orange, sprouted grain english muffin w/ sunflower seed butter

Lunches generally either raw veggie platter w/ some meats and cheese or a salad with meat and cheese, many times leftovers from the night before.

snack-dried fruits; berries, lemon bumble bars

Dinners are always different..tonight is beef stew w/ peas, celery, green and yellow pepper, zucchini, tomato, etc...
Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 PM

Breakfast here is usually oatmeal (soaked) with butter, cinnamon, brown sugar for dh, sometimes raisins or other dried fruit or eggs, either fried over easy or baked eggs with veggies and cheese.

Lunch for me is somes leftovers, homemade hummus with veggies, although lately, I have been on a salmon dip kick (cream cheese, capers, dill, lemon zest and smoked salmon all smooshed together) or celery with nut butter.

Dinner lots of soups over the winter, baked chicken with roasted veggies, burritos or soft tacos and salads now that it is getting warmer. Our oven died, at least the stove is still working so I can at least cook, so I have had to change things up, cause I was doing a lot of baked things. So now just salads, burgers, stove top recipes.

hth!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 PM

Looking forward to reading everyone's posts, but really quick... Here's what I've eaten today.

Breakfast - homemade raw milk yogurt with a bit of maple syrup and vanilla. Dd also had a sprouted English muffin with butter. I had a cup of woman's blend herbal tea

Lunch - soup with onion fried in co, sweet potato, mushrooms, chicken stock, coconut milk and seasonings Dd also had a banana

Afternoon snack - dd had another English muffin which dh gave her not knowing she'd had one for breakfast. oh well. I think actually she does need a lot more carbs than I do cause she's only 2 (almost 3). She also had some lemon and some grapefruit.

Dinner - chili with toppings - raw onion, quark (pastured but also pasturized), raw smoked gouda, and some kimchee

We also had our daily "fishy treats" as dd calls the CLO

I have oatmeal in the crockpot for tomorrow AM - with whey from my homemade yogurt, a can of coconut milk, water, cinnamon, bananas, raisins and I think dried blueberries - not sure what they are as the label is worn off the bulk bag

Breakfast is very often a smoothie with milk, banana, raw egg, honey, maybe a bit of cream, and a dash of vanilla and cinnamon and then topped with some freshly ground nutmeg. Sometimes it's just apples and cheese and sourdough bread with butter. We are all about quick breakfasts here!

We often have eggs for lunch and/or leftovers.

Dinner varies - this weeks menu includes tacos, chili, shepherd's pie, sloppy joes, eggs, breakfast (pancakes, eggs or french toast (mmm... I think it will be the latter!) ) and pizza.

We take CLo and try to have some kimchee or saurkraut frequently.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM

:

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I keep a detailed daily food journal, here's today's:

Breakfast

Sauteed beef kidney with onion. :Puke
Basmati with raw butter.
Wild Alaskan salmon.
Glass of fresh coconut water.
Couple of crispy pecans.

Snack

Fresh coconut meat.
2 homemade coconut cookies.
Cuppa jasmine green tea with raw honey.

Lunch

1 apple with PB.
Roasted almonds.
1 Pamela's ginger cookie. gf/cf/sugar free.

Dinner

Roasted chicken leg/thigh.
Roasted potatoes.
Salad. (Mixed greens, carrots, cucumbers, red onions, crispy sunflower seeds & Bragg vinaigrette.)
Glass of grape juice kombucha.

*Lunch is usually a little more substantial, but I was still full from breakfast.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:15 AM

i'm so not admitting what i ate today. suffice it to say, it was pure junk (dh went shopping, there's not much option at the mo *grr*)

attachedmama, what in the world is "quark"????

i'm getting some really good ideas from all of this tho!

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
Old 05-21-2008, 02:49 AM

breakfast-- scrambled pastured eggs with cream cheese (cultured) and green onions (yum! that was ds's idea-- usually we're just plain eggs on the weekdays, or pancakes w/ lots of eggs and yogurt in 'em), grindstone raisin bread with butter, black tea w/ raw honey and raw milk

lunch-- well, i ate out-- quiche w/ ham in it and tomato basil soup. so good! not tf. but usually some kind of leftovers or a sandwich or just some snack-y thing. i'm not always so inspired for lunch.

snack-- organic almond butter and blackberry jam on homemade challah (still haven't tf'ed the recipe. ds had it on alvarado sprouted multigrain bread and a banana) and apricots and cherries (hurray! stone fruit is finally in season! here in cali anyhow...) and orange.

dinner-- turkey meatloaf, roasted potatoes, carrots, fennel, beets, and some greens sauteed with garlic and fava beans from the garden.

snack-- steel cut oatmeal.

okay, not sure how tf all of that was but that's what we ate today.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:00 AM

Quark is a kind of unaged curd cheese - simliar to fromage frais but often a little more solid. It is sometimes called twarog (although that is usually thicker than quark and has rennet in it).
There you go - more than you ever needed to know about quark!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossbackmom View Post
Dinner is lentil soup with sausage and kale and some crusty bread with butter.
i'd LOVE the lentil soup recipe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_rice View Post
Dinners are always different..tonight is beef stew w/ peas, celery, green and yellow pepper, zucchini, tomato, etc...
I'd LOVE the beef stew recipe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
Lunch - soup with onion fried in co, sweet potato, mushrooms, chicken stock, coconut milk and seasonings Dd also had a banana

Dinner varies - this weeks menu includes tacos, chili, shepherd's pie, sloppy joes, eggs, breakfast (pancakes, eggs or french toast (mmm... I think it will be the latter!) ) and pizza.

We take CLo and try to have some kimchee or saurkraut frequently.
I'd LOVE you soup recipe! i have been wanting to use more coconut milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysesame View Post
dinner-- turkey meatloaf, roasted potatoes, carrots, fennel, beets, and some greens sauteed with garlic and fava beans from the garden.

okay, not sure how tf all of that was but that's what we ate today.
and i would LOVE the turkey meatloaf recipe and the sauted veggies. thanks!

Thanks for all the inspiration! i want to eat TF but have been in a total slump. i'd love some of your recipes, if you care to post them. thanks!!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM

The quark we get is very thick - the taste and texture of sour cream.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Another days eating for you:

B. Eggs fried in coconut oil with bread and butter
L. Fried rice. Rice was cooked with chicken stock that needed eating up and the rest was left over veggies.
D. This was fancier than usual (we only usually have one course) because it is my Mums birthday and she was eating with us We started with a soft boiled egg with asparagus dippers (asparagus wrapped in streaky bacon and fried on a griddle). Then coconut lamb and sweet potato curry with naan bread. Then pudding which I won't go into, but suffice to say that there was a lot of sugar and white flour involved and you don't want to know any more!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Today:
Breakfast - oatmeal in crockpot with yogurt whey, can of coconut milk, raisins, banana, dried blueberries, and coconut oil and water

Lunch - We were out at our local co-op which has yummy prepared food, but it's largely vegan and very not TF. So we put together what we could - lots of good raw, pastured cheese, nuts, dried fruit, dd had 1/2 a banana and we split a veggie juice (beets, celery, spinach, carrot). I also had a couple of olives.

Dinner - we are having pizza and it's not 100% TF The crust is whole wheat with coconut oil in it, but it's not soaked. Toppings are fried onions (in olive oil/butter mixture) sun dried tomatoes, olives, mozzarella and some raw smoked feta and some zucchini and yellow squash. DD also had bread and butter and raw milk yogurt. I'm wishing now I'd eaten less pizza so I could have some yogurt too, but those veggies on it were just so good and now I'm full.

So much for the eggs we try to have daily...
Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

today:
b:
2 pastured eggs cooked in bacon fat
3 slices local, pastured, nitrate free bacon
plain rye sordough toast

lunch:
dried figs

dinner:
pork, spinach, tomato, garlic stew
l/f carrots & cabbage

snack:
apples
raw cheese

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durafemina View Post
lunch: dried figs
Oh man! Those are my total weakness!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 AM

Today, what my original plan was anyways:

Breakfast: Broccoli-cheese fritatta
Lunch: Barbeque chicken salad
Dinner: Coconut-Salmon curry, wild rice, zuchinni and carrots

(but I worked over time and didn't have time to cook before DH had to leave for band practice, so I ended up getting fast food for dinner : )

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:50 PM

Thursday:

Breakfast - crockpot oatmeal made with coconut milk, water, yogurt whey, dried fruit, coconut oil. DD had raw milk yogurt.

Lunch - 2 yolky fried eggs in butter served on 2 slices buttered sour dough rye toast with raw cheese and kimchee. DD had her oatmeal on and off all AM thru lunch time. She also had a banana.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 PM

Thursday:

Breakfast - crockpot oatmeal made with coconut milk, water, yogurt whey, dried fruit, coconut oil. DD had raw milk yogurt.

Lunch - 2 yolky fried eggs in butter served on 2 slices buttered sour dough rye toast with raw cheese and kimchee. DD had her oatmeal on and off all AM thru lunch time. She also had a banana.

Dinner - we have sloppy joe's on sprouted buns planned along with roasted apples and beets with maple tossed walnuts and some sort of potatoes. Also had coconut custard.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Thursday:

B. Fruit chopped up with yogurt on the top. The kids also had a slice of bread with butter and fruit spread.

L. Left over lamb curry from last night.

D. Venison stew with new potatos and cabbage.

Snacks - fruit, milk and raw milk cheese.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 PM

Oh thougt I'd add, we got some nice peppers so it's been stuffed peppers for dinner yesterday ad today.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
Dinner: Coconut-Salmon curry, wild rice, zuchinni and carrots
I need to try this, I'm a slave to curry & we eat salmon 3-4 times a week.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
I have oatmeal in the crockpot for tomorrow AM - with whey from my homemade yogurt, a can of coconut milk, water, cinnamon, bananas, raisins and I think dried blueberries - not sure what they are as the label is worn off the bulk bag
Can you explain exactly how to do this (amounts, temp, time)? Maybe that sounds silly, but the one time I tried crockpot oats they burned. Yours sound yummy!!!

GREAT thread - lots of inspiration. Lately we have been eating waaay too much canned tuna for lunch and we've had feta and spinach frozen pizza ("organic" brand, does that make a difference ) TWICE for dinner this week, yeesh!

Amy
mama to big brother Mason (Jan '05) and the littles, Adam and Holden (May '10)

User Tag List