can I make hard boiled eggs with fresh eggs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or rather, will they peel without taking half the egg with the peel? I have some day or two old eggs and I'd like to make hard boiled eggs with them, but I won't bother if they won't peel properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 PM

They won't peel properly no matter what you do. Leave them in the fridge for a week then try.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#3 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 PM

I've had pretty good luck adding salt to the cooking water. But it's not guaranteed.

I hate it when they won't peel.
#4 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM

I was about to ask what was wrong with my eggs (or rather mt boiling method) because they weren't peeling properly. Now I know!

<>< Alison
#5 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 PM

Yeah, it works better if you set aside fresh eggs for a week or so before trying to hardboil them.
#6 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
AJP

I usually have no trouble peeling very fresh eggs (just a few days old) if I put them in a pan with water, cover and bring to a boil, as soon as they start to boil turn off the heat and leave the lid on for 15 minutes, then dunk in ice water until cool enough to peel. If the shells still resist peeling after that, I crack each shell thoroughly and put them back in the cold water so it can seep under the shell, then try peeling again.

There is no secret ingredient.
#7 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 02:30 AM

My understanding is that you should follow different methods for boiling eggs depending on freshness.

This is what I do: For older eggs, I start with cold eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. Once the water's boiling, I leave the eggs in for however long is needed for the egg consistency I want -- 3 mins. for soft-boiled, 10 for hard, etc. Then plunge immediately into cold water.

For fresh eggs, I bring the eggs to room temp. and I boil the water on its own. Once the water's boiling, I gently add in the eggs and boil for 3 minutes. Then I cover the pot, remove from the heat, and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes. Then I plunge them into cold water. (I only ever make hard boiled eggs this way, so I'm not sure how to make soft or medium this way.)

The plunging into cold water is very important. I think it must help pull the egg away from the shell. I've found that if I try to cool the eggs in the cooking water by adding cold water to it, the eggs won't peel properly.

Peeling under running water can also help for particularly stubborn eggs.
#8 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadhagh View Post
My understanding is that you should follow different methods for boiling eggs depending on freshness.

This is what I do: For older eggs, I start with cold eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. Once the water's boiling, I leave the eggs in for however long is needed for the egg consistency I want -- 3 mins. for soft-boiled, 10 for hard, etc. Then plunge immediately into cold water.

For fresh eggs, I bring the eggs to room temp. and I boil the water on its own. Once the water's boiling, I gently add in the eggs and boil for 3 minutes. Then I cover the pot, remove from the heat, and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes. Then I plunge them into cold water. (I only ever make hard boiled eggs this way, so I'm not sure how to make soft or medium this way.)

The plunging into cold water is very important. I think it must help pull the egg away from the shell. I've found that if I try to cool the eggs in the cooking water by adding cold water to it, the eggs won't peel properly.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#9 of 14 Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 AM

Hey hey, you can boil a fresh egg if you add some white vinegar to the cooking water! Partially dissolves the shell, makes it easier to separate from the egg beneath.

I'm not sure how much; in a pot with 6 eggs I usually put in a couple of glugs...
#10 of 14 Old 06-01-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadhagh View Post

I would guess that the plunging into cold water causes the egg to shrink some and maybe that loosens the membrane.

Glad to find these ideas, much better than the one I'd come up with. I noticed that the egg that cracked while boiling was really easy to peel since water got under the shell. But cracking the egg while it's boiling probably isn't the most reliable method unless you're okay with poached eggs, lol.
#11 of 14 Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 PM

For fresh eggs, I've had my best results poking a hole in the big end of the egg with a pin (actually, I can never find the big end, so I poke both ends, you're trying to get to the air sac) and then steaming the eggs in a steamer basket instead of boiling. Poking the hole in the egg gets the steam/water under the membrane for easy peeling.
#12 of 14 Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji View Post
For fresh eggs, I've had my best results poking a hole in the big end of the egg with a pin (actually, I can never find the big end, so I poke both ends, you're trying to get to the air sac) and then steaming the eggs in a steamer basket instead of boiling. Poking the hole in the egg gets the steam/water under the membrane for easy peeling.
How long does it need to be steamed?
#13 of 14 Old 06-04-2008, 05:25 PM

I usually time 10 minutes with cold eggs as soon as the water starts boiling rapidly. Then I turn it down, keeping a pretty good steam and start the timer. This gives me a just-about hard boiled egg. Probably more of a medium, the yolk is hard on the outside but still the tiniest bit runny in the middle. After the timer goes off then I dunk them in cold water to cool them down.
#14 of 14 Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM

The best way I have found to get them to peel nice is just boil up what you need and peel as soon as they are done boiling when they are still warm.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page