What Crockpot to buy? Give me your suggestions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never owned a crockpot or ever used one. What brand and size is a good one to buy? I've heard some maybe have teflon or something in it to watch out for so I'm worried about that too. It's just my dh and I and our toddler. But I could make bigger batches of things to freeze too. Feel free to throw in your favorite TF crockpot recipe as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 PM

:
Old 06-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We have the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 slow cooker. It's 1 slow cooker heating base and 3 different size crocks. Lemme see... here it is

From my research, Hamilton Beach is lead free and I can tell you that the crocks are definitely NOT teflon coated. Now, MIL bought it for us for Christmas and she got it at WalMart *gasp* for $30 :

I like it b/c I use the different size crocks depending on what I'm making and now I don't have to store 3 different slow cookers, just 1.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:39 PM

There are a number of recent threads discussing lead-free crock pots. Almost all have lead, including the Hamilton Beach. Do a quick search of the threads for lead and crock pots or slow cookers. I talked to KitchenAid and they claim their slow cooker is lead free, but there are problems with the lids not sealing tightly enough for some people. They are working on this from what I remember. I was in the market for one, and got so frustrated that I stopped looking.

There is one that is a stainless steel pot on a griddle that you can use as a slow cooker and the griddle could be used separately. Some reviews claims that it burns the bottom. I believe it was a WestBend.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
We have the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 slow cooker. It's 1 slow cooker heating base and 3 different size crocks. Lemme see... here it is

From my research, Hamilton Beach is lead free and I can tell you that the crocks are definitely NOT teflon coated. Now, MIL bought it for us for Christmas and she got it at WalMart *gasp* for $30 :

I like it b/c I use the different size crocks depending on what I'm making and now I don't have to store 3 different slow cookers, just 1.
Yep, Hamilton Beach contains lead. It says in the FAQ. The FAQ used to look like this:

Quote:
Does the crock contain lead?

No.
Now it looks like this:

Quote:
Does the crock contain lead?

Hamilton Beach specifications applicable to all slow cookers and their components (including the earthenware crocks) prohibits the product from containing any measurable amounts of lead. Furthermore, the factories that manufacture the earthenware crocks for Hamilton Beach are certified ceramic production facilities whose ceramic ware is deemed to satisfy FDA heavy metal requirements. Hamilton Beach takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the earthenware crocks accompanying our slow cookers provide safe and satisfactory service to our consumers.
They only changed it because I called & called & emailed & called & FINALLY one of their customer service reps confirmed that the crocks did in fact contain lead. : Then I made a big ole stink about their false advertising so they changed it. All after I bought it & told everyone that yes, I spoke with Hamilton Beach & it is indeed lead free. :

I bought a 20 quart stock pot by Tramontina from Costco.com for $69, started a HUGE pot of beef stock early one morning, left it on the gas stove for one night & most of the nest day, strained it & ended up with *29 CUPS* of *gorgeously* gelled stock! It was so gelatinous that I could float a coffee mug on top of it!

So anyway, I'll probably still use my slow cooker occasionally, but I really didn't like the idea of simmering bone broths in it for 36+ hours.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:46 AM

User Tag List