loose stool/diarrhea from coconut flour? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also posted in allergies, but I know coconut is talked about here, so I thought I would ask if anyone has had loose stool or diarrhea from it. I want to try to eliminate all grains because we are dealing with healing the gut. We can't do nut flours because of a peanut allergy, so I was really excited about the coconut flour.

My 3 yr old (turning 4) has a b'day coming up, and I just want to make a cake! I tried making cookies the other night, then bluberry muffins the next morning. They were yummy, and they did eat quite a few, but I wouldn't say they binged on them. But they both had diarrhea and stoamch aches. I even had a looser stool, and I never have gut problems.

They are both dealing with on and off loose stools and diarrhea, so I don't know whether to think it's just that, or if it was the coconut flour. It was just a lot worse after the coconur flour.

I am wondering if maybe I just need to introduce it more slowly. My kids are 8 and 3 and have had coconut many many times, so I don't think it's an allergy thing. I am just wondering if there is something specific about the coconut flour that made them have D.

Thanks for any insight!
#2 of 7 Old 06-24-2008, 07:15 PM

Coconut flour does have a lot of fiber in it, so... if there are digestive issues already (which there ARE if you're new to the food allergy thing, takes a while to heal) then a high dose of fiber can be uncomfortable. The intestines are inflamed already and then BAM! a big load of hay comes down the shoot.

Coconut can be an allergen... I should know... I managed to become allergic to it. And for a long time I wasn't allergic... then I spent a long time wondering what on earth was wrong, because NO ONE is allergic to coconut! So, it's possible, but... I'm betting it's just the fiber.

Work up gradually.

Are you sure nut flours are out due to the peanut allergy? The plants aren't related... my daughter is allergic to peanuts and does fine with tree nuts.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#3 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
Coconut flour does have a lot of fiber in it, so... if there are digestive issues already (which there ARE if you're new to the food allergy thing, takes a while to heal) then a high dose of fiber can be uncomfortable. The intestines are inflamed already and then BAM! a big load of hay comes down the shoot.

Coconut can be an allergen... I should know... I managed to become allergic to it. And for a long time I wasn't allergic... then I spent a long time wondering what on earth was wrong, because NO ONE is allergic to coconut! So, it's possible, but... I'm betting it's just the fiber.

Work up gradually.

Are you sure nut flours are out due to the peanut allergy? The plants aren't related... my daughter is allergic to peanuts and does fine with tree nuts.
You know, I am so glad to hear that. I have been thinking about trying the nut flours again. We used almond flour when my older son was on the SCD (this was before my younger was born). I have been wanting to return to that, but when we discovered he had a peanut allergy, we just decided to skip all nuts too for now. But he ate tree nuts before, and I so I was thinking about getting some nuts from companies that don't process peanuts. What do you use for nut flours?

Thanks so much!
#4 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 12:53 AM

I used to get diarrhea from coconut. But once I quit eating sugar, my coconut issues went away.
#5 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 AM

I mainly use Bob's Red Mill almond flour... and also some non-grain starchy flours like tapioca and arrowroot. I don't know if there's possible peanut contamination... my daughter isn't that sensitive. She can handle plain M&Ms just fine, for example.

Good luck!

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#6 of 7 Old 06-27-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
I mainly use Bob's Red Mill almond flour... and also some non-grain starchy flours like tapioca and arrowroot. I don't know if there's possible peanut contamination... my daughter isn't that sensitive. She can handle plain M&Ms just fine, for example.

Good luck!
Thank you Junegoddess!

Do you eat grains at all?
#7 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 06:25 PM

I got coconut oil and we fried eggs for breakfast - hubby ok... I got very dizzy and had diarrhea from 1 egg fried in the oil. I also do this with artificial sweetners (Xylastol,m sotbitol, manitol etc) I hope that I do not react that way to the flour because I am diabetic and on a low GI diet and coconut flour seemed to fit the bill and be less costly than almond flour.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page