BPA free Canning Jar Lids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-26-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm searching for them. Cross posted here and elsewhere on MDC. I know there was a thread about them last year and that they exist. But I can't seem to find them anywhere. Anyone know?
#2 of 23 Old 06-30-2008, 03:23 PM

Just bumping up because I'm interested in this as well.
#3 of 23 Old 06-30-2008, 05:32 PM

The metal lids of the Ball, Kerr, etc. have BPA in the coating.
http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/faq/42.php

The plastic storage caps made by Jarden Home Brands do not contain BPA.

I guess I'm off to the store to buy some plastic lids! Does anyone have any other ideas? I hate buying plastic - we have been plastic-free for a long time. And I've heard they don't have a super tight seal and can leak! Ugh!

Any other alternative ideas?
#4 of 23 Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 PM

I got a few old-looking jars that have glass tops, with metal bands that hold the glass on, but I haven't actually used them much. I thought they were antiques, but I think they have just been made to look antique, so it may be that glass-lidded mason jars are out there somewhere? I dunno. But I can't see how plastic can be much better....*sigh*
#5 of 23 Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 PM

there are german made jars that have glass lids with rubber rings from www.weckcanning.com
#6 of 23 Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFarmGirl View Post
there are german made jars that have glass lids with rubber rings from www.weckcanning.com
You can also find the old ones at garage sales and ebay. You can purchase new rubber rings for them to seal them. They aren't so cheap as traditional jars tho.

Other than that, you can try the old zinc with porcelain lining caps. But I wouldn't trust what else is in with the zinc and have heard that they aren't good with acidic foods.

Anyway, that's what I found from lots of research...
#7 of 23 Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Just curious.. since you leave headspace in the jars when you can, does it matter if the lids have BPA? Can it leach into the food anyway when the food doesn't touch it?

Would it make sense to start a letter writing campaign to Ball and ask them to come up with a substitute for BPA in their jar lids?
#8 of 23 Old 07-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbirth View Post
Just curious.. since you leave headspace in the jars when you can, does it matter if the lids have BPA? Can it leach into the food anyway when the food doesn't touch it?

Would it make sense to start a letter writing campaign to Ball and ask them to come up with a substitute for BPA in their jar lids?
Honestly, that's why I don't worry about the BPA here too much - and especially since I do little actual canning, but use them extensively for dry or refrigerator storage. Ok, my yogurt touches it briefly when I put in the starter with the fresh milk and shake it, but never again after that.
#9 of 23 Old 07-05-2008, 12:32 PM

I saw smaller Weck jars at Sur La Table this week. I didn't see them on their website, though.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#10 of 23 Old 07-06-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbirth View Post

I guess I find it surprising that people are so concerned over heavy metals such as lead and mercury, which are naturally occuring and which the body (most) can process in small amounts - but not worried about BPA which the body has no way of processing. I'm the opposite...

If you wash your BPA lined lids in warm water, the BPA leaches; even if it doesn't touch your food, it can offgass into it. If you can with it, it is highly heated and can leach a lot. The caps being banged around can put little dents in the plastic and cause it to leach. BPA has been linked to genetic disorders, behaviour problems, infertility and more. It's in tons and tons of stuff too. So to me, avoiding it wherever and whenever possible is important. I for one would be up for a letter writing campaign.

I also think it's interesting to note that Ball recommends you only use those caps once and dispose of them - despite the fact that they will seal several times in canning. Maybe they know that after being heated that high one time they are toxic ??
#11 of 23 Old 07-06-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
I also think it's interesting to note that Ball recommends you only use those caps once and dispose of them - despite the fact that they will seal several times in canning. Maybe they know that after being heated that high one time they are toxic ??

I suspect they just want more money out of you. I can't imagine they even acknowledge that BPA is a problem.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#12 of 23 Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Lehman's also sells canning jars like the ones mentioned above.

I was actually kind of hoping that there would be a BPA free option to replace the ones that the Ball jars use since I already have quite a few of them and really don't want to have to replace them. I also am canning quite a bit this year so I actually use them as directed.
#13 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 12:29 AM

Has anyone found a good canning lid, bpa free? This is so discouraging. I switched over to canning jars from plastic containers. Will I ever win?
#14 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 AM

A couple of my canning lids don;t have the white plastic. are they ok?
#15 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
A couple of my canning lids don;t have the white plastic. are they ok?
What do they have??
#16 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
What do they have??
They are just metal like the tops of the lids
#17 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
They do that because when you twist the lid off, you risk denting/torquing it and making it so it won't seal right next time. And the damage might be very subtle, so you might not know it won't seal... until you get botulism.

For dry/cold storage (as opposed to canning), I've begun often lining the lid with waxed paper, because I find that things like kefir begin to degrade the lids and that really freaks me out. I bet you could also paint the inside of those lids with beeswax to seal in the BPA, if you're only using it for cold/dry storage.

I need to hunt down wide-mouthed hard plastic lids, I think. I've found regular size ones, but I use wide-mouth jars for most things. Does anyone know if those plastic lids have BPA in them, too?
#18 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 02:14 PM

I just contacted a large canning manufacturer, and they said that were are no canning lids in existence that are bpa free. Some lids have the white coating and some don;t, but they all contain bpa. The bpa is under 2 layers of metal, not the white coating we see. That is just for looks. Even all canned goods are lined with bpa. The only company that uses canned goods that are bpa free are eden foods. Except the cans containing tomato, which will corrode a can without bpa.
#19 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I just contacted a large canning manufacturer, and they said that were are no canning lids in existence that are bpa free. Some lids have the white coating and some don;t, but they all contain bpa. The bpa is under 2 layers of metal, not the white coating we see. That is just for looks. Even all canned goods are lined with bpa. The only company that uses canned goods that are bpa free are eden foods. Except the cans containing tomato, which will corrode a can without bpa.
Yup - which is why I only buy (and pay extra for) canned goods from Eden and why I have paid $7 a jar for canned tomatoes in an actual jar. Actually, Trader Joe's canned tomatoes are not lined with BPA. Also why I have over 40 tomato plants in my garden this summer.

There are links on here above for canning jars w/o BPA, but they are not the traditional kind with rings and lids. They are glass lids with a rubber gasket. I am planning to order some.
#20 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 PM

Do you think it's okay to store food in canning jars (non canned) if I line the lid with a layer of beeswax?
#21 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 07:00 PM

If the BPA is behind two layers of metal from the food will it still come out in the food? If it's not heated is it still a problem? If it is still a problem I don't see how bees wax is going to help.

I use the plastic lids. I have not really found them to leak but then again my food doesn't really come in direct contact with them often. We do our best to live plastic free but some things are just to much for dh, dealing with two piece lids for storage is one of those things.

I still feel more comfortable with glass jars holding my food that I have canned myself so I know exactly what and from where it came even if the lid has to have BPA.

How many jars do you all use? I have cases and cases of them. I can't imagine replacing them all, the other jars cost quite a bit. I guess I have to pick my battles and this isn't one I can win right now.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#22 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthezoo View Post
How many jars do you all use? I have cases and cases of them. I can't imagine replacing them all, the other jars cost quite a bit. I guess I have to pick my battles and this isn't one I can win right now.
Same here. I could not possibly replace all my jars!

This topic is so frustrating! Soon the only safe option will be the old Native American way of storing your food in the stomachs of animals deep in the earth.
#23 of 23 Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Oh for heaven's sake, this is really irritating! I JUST got a whole bunch of canning supplies for mother's day and my birthday and have been growing tomatoes in my garden this summer for the express purpose of having BPA-free canned tomatoes this winter! Why must it be so impossible to eat without ingesting all kinds of yucky chemicals? Glad to see this thread though, at least now I know.

Maybe we should just eat all of the food this fall instead and then hibernate until spring.

T , mom to S and C

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page