Daycare Menu - USDA Food program - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's my goal to develope a 10 day rotating menu, that both satisfies t5he USDA food program, and is as TF as possible.

Today's Menu

Breakfast - Whole Milk (raw dairy is illegal in daycares)
Sliced Apple
Baked Oatmeal

Lunch - Whole Milk
Quiche (Sourdough bread chunks, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheddar cheese, Goat Cheese Chevito, diced onion, butter)
canteloupe and pineapple

Snack - string cheese
grapes

I know it's not perfect but I'm trying and learning.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#2 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 01:52 PM

sounds much better than any of the food i've ever seen served in daycare centers - things like pancakes with white flour from mixes that contain who knows what and fake syrup...

Good for you!
#3 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 PM

Sounds better than the daycare my son starts next month. It gets USDA funding, and CORN CHIPS are the grain for some of the INFANTS' lunches.

AARUGH!

(although tortilla chips are what the probably use, Fritos are what came to mind when I first read the menu!)

I'm gonna be one of those annoying parents.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 AM

The menu looks great to me.

Oh and yeah, I'd be the annoying parent too. Ketchup is not a vegetable.
#5 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 AM

what options will you have for dairy-free kids?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#6 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
what options will you have for dairy-free kids?
Diary free kids have to have a form signed by a medical professional with a list of substitutes.... (I usually have mom sign it. So far the food program hasn't caught it) and the parents provide the substitutes. Or the parents can sign a form declining to participate in the food program and either pay me the same fee per meal that the food program does, or pack food for their kids. The USDA food program is funded largely by the dairy council. So far the parents haven't had to provided subs just because they've prefered their kids drink water instead of a milk substitute and it's pretty easy to drop the dairy portion of the meal for that one child (cheese, yogurt etc). If the child is school aged and co-operative we just don't worry about it. The food program doesn't require that the kids eat the food, just that I serve it....so the school aged child will get a cup of milk, with a wink......and then go dump it out in the sink and get something else if the food program inspector is there watching, lol.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#7 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Sounds better than the daycare my son starts next month. It gets USDA funding, and CORN CHIPS are the grain for some of the INFANTS' lunches.

AARUGH!

(although tortilla chips are what the probably use, Fritos are what came to mind when I first read the menu!)

I'm gonna be one of those annoying parents.
Corn chips are considered an extra, and they don't count as a grain FOR ANY CHILD because corn doesn't count as a grain on the program. The meal pattern for infants is as follows....

only breastmilk of formula for 0 through 3 months
infant cereal and fruits and veggies are OPTIONAL starting at 4 months through 7 months.....

8 months through 11 months: (these are MINIMUM REQ)

Breakfast: breastmilk or formula 6 - 8 ounces
Iron fortified infant cereal 2-4 TBLS
fruit or veggie 1 to 4 TBS

Lunch/Dinner: breastmilk or formula 6-8 ounces
iron fortified infant cereal and/or lean meat, egg yolk, cooked dry beans or peas, cheese, cottage cheese
Fruit or Veggie

Snack: 2 o 4 ounces of breastmilk or formula or 100% fruit juice
bread, crackers or other grain is OPTIONAL

This is the same in EVERY state as this is a federal program....here's a link
http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Care/Pro...l_Patterns.htm

your daycare is pulling your leg about cornchips. They are giving them as an extra, they don't actually count for anything. Ask who the food program sponsor is, and go get a blank infant menu from them. Then you can use that information to ask that your child NOT be given anything labeled as OPTIONAL.

#8 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Day 2 Menu

Breakfast : Milk
banana
Toast with sunbutter

Lunch: Milk
Salmon Pattie
green beans
nectarine
Sour Dough Roll

Snack: Brown Rice Pudding

#9 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Does it specify that the milk has to be bovine? (I'm just curious.)
#10 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
Does it specify that the milk has to be bovine? (I'm just curious.)
Goat's milk is fine. Rice/soy/nut/grain/seed milks need a health proffessional's signature. I have a one year old daycare boy that is doing a year of goat's milk before trying cow's milk.

#11 of 18 Old 07-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the info and link. I will have to get on this, as DS starts next month.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#12 of 18 Old 07-09-2008, 01:39 AM

I work at a waldorf preschool/kindy and we provide a morning snack--rotating grains with trail mix on fridays--park day. Mondays are rice, tuesday oatmeal, wends millet, thursday rye or quinoa, friday is supposed to be barley, but trail mix instead.

afternoon snack (after care kiddos) rotates with strawberries and raisins, apples and almond butter, carrots with either TJ's ranch or almond butter, strawberries and raisins again with the week finishing out with apples again. Sometimes, we do grapes or watermelon.

Lunch is provided by the parents, but nothing like top ramen or things like that--school policy. Most of the kids are TF/ovolacto veggie anyway, so no frankenfoods show up very often, mostly once in a blue moon. Pretty cool--most of the teachers are TF so that is pretty awesome!

I guess this was just a comment post, but might give you some ideas for snacks if you are interested
#13 of 18 Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 AM

Hi! I am in California and will be starting up a in-home daycare with TF/whole foods and trying to get the reimbusments (It is called the Beanstalk program here). I have found it is (suprisingly) easy to adapt the USDA requirements into healthy eating. I am probably going to do am/pm snack and a lunch in between. For lunches I was going to make things like--
homemade pizzas (so the kids could help)with no knead dough, veggies, cheese
meat/veggie/grain stirfrys
burrtios with whole grains tortillas, cheese, veggies.

I am so glad that someone else is doing this!
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#14 of 18 Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Hi! I am in California and will be starting up a in-home daycare with TF/whole foods and trying to get the reimbusments (It is called the Beanstalk program here). I have found it is (suprisingly) easy to adapt the USDA requirements into healthy eating. I am probably going to do am/pm snack and a lunch in between. For lunches I was going to make things like--
homemade pizzas (so the kids could help)with no knead dough, veggies, cheese
meat/veggie/grain stirfrys
burrtios with whole grains tortillas, cheese, veggies.

I am so glad that someone else is doing this!
Jen
I think the hard part is cost. When I serve these healthy menues the food program is reimbursing me less than half the cost of feeding the kids. I just write it off as business expense, but not all providers can afford to do this (I really can't either, but I somehow find a way each month). Many providers try very hard to only spend their reimbursement check on daycare food. My daycare is full, and they send me roughly $300 a month. I feed 8 kids 2 meals and a snack every day. Some kids are here for 4 -12.5 hour shifts a week instead of 5 - 8.5 hours shifts and they eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, but I can only claim 2 meals and one snack per day, per child......so I eat the full cost of the other meals.

#15 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Day 3 was

Breakfast : Milk, grapefruit, oatmeal muffin
Lunch: Milk, potato pancakes (mashed spuds, eggs, sourdough starter, yogurt, shredded cheese), grapes
Snack: yogurt, applesauce bread

#16 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
I think the hard part is cost. When I serve these healthy menues the food program is reimbursing me less than half the cost of feeding the kids. I just write it off as business expense, but not all providers can afford to do this (I really can't either, but I somehow find a way each month). Many providers try very hard to only spend their reimbursement check on daycare food. My daycare is full, and they send me roughly $300 a month. I feed 8 kids 2 meals and a snack every day. Some kids are here for 4 -12.5 hour shifts a week instead of 5 - 8.5 hours shifts and they eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, but I can only claim 2 meals and one snack per day, per child......so I eat the full cost of the other meals.
I was just going to charge more to make up for the cost of the better foods. Could you do that? I did not think the program would cover the full cost of the meals...I thought it was to encourage providers to spend a little more on quality foods.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#17 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I was just going to charge more to make up for the cost of the better foods. Could you do that? I did not think the program would cover the full cost of the meals...I thought it was to encourage providers to spend a little more on quality foods.
I'm allready at the ceiling. I take state sub. kids. I could charge more, but I'd have to collect it from the parents, that are poor enough they are supposed to be getting free childcare.

#18 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Day 4:
breakfast :milk, oatmeal, applesauce

lunch: Milk, breakfast burritos, canteloupe

snack: cheese cubes and soaked grain crackers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page