GFCF baking that's also egg free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just picked up the book on cooking with coconut flour by Fife. I didn't look at it until we had already left the farm where we bought it. We had gotten it since my dad has to be gfcf and egg free. My mom has some coconut flour and wanted some ideas on how to use it for him, but based upon my reading of the first few chapters it seems that using coconut flour in baking would really need eggs for the leavening.

Any ideas on whether or not we could use a sub for the eggs in these recipes? If not, any ideas on resources for recipes that are GFCF AND egg free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 05:16 PM

I don't think you can do coconut flour baking without eggs. GFCF egg free baking isn't too difficult, just more crumbly. I just use whatever recipe, leave out the eggs, add a little extra water and sometimes a little extra oil/fat (1 Tbsp per egg), and then add 1/2 tsp of guar or xanthan gum per egg.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:47 AM

en-er-g egg replacer works well... don't think it's exactly TF tho. um... there's a way to use ground flax seed as an egg replacer... i think it's 2tbs ground flax seed and 1 tbs water... not sure anymore tho. try googling it.

if i'm trying to bake gfcf without eggs, i just look for recipes that don't call for eggs in the first place, it's a lot simpler! i posted a recipe for cranberry sweet potato bread in the foodies! thread in finding your tribe on this board, if you're interested. (can't get the hang of links, sorry!)

hope somebody has some better ideas for you.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
Old 07-10-2008, 04:16 AM

When substituting for eggs in a recipe, add one extra. So if the recipe calls for 2 eggs, use the equivalent of 3 eggs.
Here's the list, but you'll have to try them out yourself to find out where they work best:

1T flaxmeal plus 1/8t baking powder plus 3T water (plus 1/2t soy lecithin if you want)
1T gelatin (or powdered agar) plus 1T cold water plus 2 T boiling water Beat til frothy.
2T starch (corn, tapioca, potato etc) plus 3T water
3T mayonnaise (there are soy mayos on the market but expensive)
1 1/2t Ener-G egg replacer plus 2T water
1/2 mashed ripe banana plus 1/4t baking powder
1/4c silken tofu
1T soy powder plus 2T water
1T starch plus 2T water plus 1T oil plus 2t baking powder
1t yeast plus 1/4c warm water (in yeast based foods)
1t baking powder plus 1 1/2T water plus 1 1/2T oil
1t soy lecithin plus 2T water

Also, flax goop:
4t whole flax plus 1c water soaked overnight then simmered 20 minutes and cooled then strained. Scant 1/4c goop = 1 egg Can be made in large quantities and refrigerated about a week.

A couple of notes:
I've found Ener-G rises way too much and I end up having to clean out the bottom of my oven because of overflowing.
My favorites are: flaxmeal for binding, tofu for general use, banana in banana bread.
Gelatin and flax goop both can be beaten to resemble beaten egg whites, but I can't quite seem to get to the stage of "stiffly beaten". Ener-G may be the best for this purpose.
I got these all from various places across the net. HTH!

ETA: Forgot to mention, silken tofu can supposedly be used as a replacer in egg dishes (ie quiche). The only use I can suggest the others for is baking- unless being used as a binder (ie in meatloaves).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 07-11-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the additional feedback. I had told my mom I would drop her a note with some suggestions so this will definitely help. JacquelineR - thank you especially for the large size of your list. My dad's also sensitive to soy and bananas so it was nice that there were still a number of options left!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 PM

I completely understand. It's a little overwhelming at first but I'm sure your mom will soon get the hang of it.
We've been gfcfef for a couple of months and I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of things.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 07-12-2008, 06:32 AM

Just wanted to chime in as someone who has done a lot of baking with coconut flour.

Look at the Cooking with Coconut Flour book more closely. There are some recipes that don't use eggs. Yes, the muffins, bread, cakes all do, but there is a fruit crisp recipe that is wonderful, and there is a fried chicken recipe (and some others of the savory recipes). And some recipes, where the egg is only used for binding and isn't such a large part of the recipe, it would probably be easier to sub with something else (I'm thinking things like the meatloaf and the pie crust, although the pie crust that way may be best just pressed into the pan).

In subbing for eggs in baking, keep in mind that they provide both leavening and binding. So you usually need to sub for both (with two different things, IME), depending on the recipe.

In the case of the coconut flour, you would need to sub with something that binds and something that leavens, and also keep in mind the amount of liquid. That would be very tricky, and may not be worth it to you. If it's really important to you, you could try it, and it might turn out OK. At one point I thought about trying it, but it wasn't important enough to me. My thoughts, FWIW, were to use gelatin (the flax goop was my second choice) as the binder/liquid, and add some more baking powder for leavening. At least that was going to be my starting point. I would say that if you choose to experiment with it, make sure you keep the batches small unless/until you find something that works.

In terms of the sub list that Jacqueline posted (so many good ideas!), you could use applesauce or pureed squash/pumpkin instead of the banana. Applesauce is more neutral tasting usually than the pumpkin.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ChristieB - just what I was looking for!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 AM

I learned something too, thanks, Christie!

Old 07-13-2008, 06:26 AM

I hope it helps. Let us know how it goes if you experiment with replacing the egg in the coconut flour recipes. I'd be very curious to know how it goes!

And I forgot to add that the third role eggs play is liquid. Sorry. It was late.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.

User Tag List