Switching from formula to raw cow's milk formula: allergies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

I have low milk supply and though my milk can't taste more like fenugreek, I just can't produce enough. So we had to supplement with formula. I did alimentum formula to start, to have a grip on the issue of allergies though I don't know if dd actually has any allergies. Well, she's smart and has good taste and after a few spoonfuls of avocado she's not taking her formula too well.

I found a raw cows milk dairy down the street and am able to pick some up today. I have the WAP recipe and I'll need to do a modification of it (I don't have all the oils but will go to Whole Foods today to get as much as I can).

How would you offer it to your child? Would you just switch bottles and go right to the homemade formula, would you slowly transition 1/4 homemade mixed into current formula, then a day later, 1/2 homemade mixed in, then the next day 3/4 homemade, etc.?

I just think the homemade, which I've been thinking about for a few weeks, would be better for dd, heal some of my sadness for not being able to make my own milk, and would taste better to dd.

Your thoughts on issues of allergies or poor initial reactions or anything else you can think of/have had experience with?

Thank you mamas!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 10:47 AM

I've had to supplement due to low supply. I tried the WAP formula, and I have to say, ds didn't have a good reaction to it. He threw up six times until he was dry heaving. After that, he was fine. I've heard a few times that some children are sensitive to the nutritional yeast in the recipe. So, it could have been that that made him sick, or it could be because I didn't do a gradual approach. I'd heard from a lot of people that they just switched over with no problem, so I foolishly did that. I'm honestly scared to try again. When I get my courage up, I'll may try again without the yeast and increase the amount gradually. I've been told that it's okay to leave out the yeast if you're using the raw cow milk rather than the goat milk. Good luck! I hope it turns out well for you.
#3 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 AM

I saw this at the local health food store yesterday and was wondering how my son would tolerate it. He does fine with formula, but that is probably a better alternative.
#4 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 PM

I don't know about the raw cow's milk formula, but as long as your LO is old enough to eat solids, and is still getting SOME breastmilk, and you are very confident about the safety of the milk, I think it would be fine.

I had to supplement with formula but only at the beginning - I was actually able to boost my supply sufficiently with domperidone. It's not approved in the US for milk supply issues, but it is for digestive issues. You may be able to get it at a compounding pharmacy or online... it's pretty safe, the only side-effects officially are faster digestion and headaches if the dose is too high - but unofficially everyone I know didn't get their periods back until they went off it. It's compatible with fenugreek and blessed thistle, as well.

When I supplemented I gave DD Nutramigen (don't know if it exists in the US) but yeah, it tasted pretty vile, not sweet like formula apparently normally is. I'm sure if she'd still been on it when we started solids she would have instantly rejected the formula too!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#5 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 PM

first of all, i dont know what other things besides fenugreek you are doing to keep your supply up, but you may want to look into some other things to help (like the PP suggested the domperidone). i would try everything in that direction and try to resolve the low supply (if possible..i have definitely heard of women who are able to increase supply after 6 months or so w/ lots of help).

as far as the supplmentation, i would gradually introduce the homemade formula. if i had to use artificial milk, i do believe the homemade version is what i would want to use, if my child would drink it. i dont have any experience with it though.
#6 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 07:27 PM

I would introduce it gradually over a period of several days to a week - just seems safer that way because you will notice any potential problem before it gets to be a big problem.

I'd also look into a supplemental nursing system (SNS) to feed with so that your supply is always being stimulated. You don't want to lose what you do have. You can keep on giving her what breast milk you have for years if you keep her nursing often enough.
#7 of 9 Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas! After much reading, I'll introduce slowly. I have great hope that dd will take it easily and that she'll really thrive on it. Off to make whey now...
#8 of 9 Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Another option would be to test each new ingredient separately, so if he doesn't tolerate the formula you'll be better able to tweak it for his needs. I wouldn't worry too much about it being perfectly balanced if you're only using it in tiny amounts and mixed with the other formula. Maybe try mixing a tiny amount of plain raw milk into one formula bottle (or SNS or whatever container you use for feeding formula) and in another one add one of the supplemental oils, in another bottle try a different ingredient, or maybe add just raw milk at first, if tolerated add raw milk plus one additional formula ingredient, etc, with the goal of using all formula ingredients by the end of the week and then gradually weaning from commercial formula to homemade.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#9 of 9 Old 07-16-2008, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

You're right, instead of everything all at once, tiny amounts of each ingredient introduced over time, her body will probably respond better anyway... ohhhhh that's so smart!

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page