The Hibernation Diet - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 328 Old 12-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Honey works by loading up the liver with glycogen and raising insulin to push tryptophan into the brain. Combine those with darkness, and your melatonin goes up to give you a really good nights rest. Which is amazingly good for pretty much all the systems in your body.

Thank you for explaining this. It is really useful information. Yes, I am noticing that my whole body is reacting very positively to the experience.

What about the "loading the liver with glycogen" -- is that something that could be damaging with long-term usage?
#302 of 328 Old 12-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post
What about the "loading the liver with glycogen" -- is that something that could be damaging with long-term usage?
I doubt it. Glycogen is how the body stores carbohydrate energy - the animal equivalent to cellulose. "Loading the liver with glycogen" just means filling up the reserves with easy access energy, or at least that's how I understand it. I think the same would happen any time you eat a meal.

I've posted this before, but check out poster 14 for more info: http://www.prohoneyandhealth.com/custom.aspx?id=11

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#303 of 328 Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Maybe my problem is not getting enough darkness while I sleep. There are too many windows in our bedroom to cover, but I could make a sleep mask.
#304 of 328 Old 12-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I've posted this before, but check out poster 14 for more info: http://www.prohoneyandhealth.com/custom.aspx?id=11

Ah, this is very helpful to read. Thanks, whoMe.

So, I'm still wondering about eating the large quantity of honey on a daily basis in relation to insulin/blood sugar stuff. Some sources (Mercola, etc.) talk about how, even though honey is a nutritional powerhouse, it still should be eaten in minimal amounts . . certainly not in amounts of 2 tablespoons per day.

However, I cannot deny the amazing power of its effects when taken at bedtime. I am sleeping so well from doing this routine.
#305 of 328 Old 12-11-2008, 01:53 AM

OK, this is sort of tongue-in-cheek, but I read this thread last night long after my kids had gone to sleep, and tried a tablespoon of honey before going to bed myself. My girls slept through the night for the first time in months. It really IS a miracle!

I felt pretty rested this morning, too, for a change, but I don't know if that's from STTN or from honey.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#306 of 328 Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 AM

I have to chime in too, as a skeptic by nature. I have given ds2 varying amounts of honey for the past 4 nights. For the first 3, he slept progressively longer each night. The third night he actually slept 7 hours straight!!!! This is huge!! He has been waking every hour for weeks. So for some reason last night, he was up every hour again, but I suspect it was a food sensitivity of some kind. So I'm going to be careful about his diet today and try it again. But so far, I'm just almost convinced!! :
#307 of 328 Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 PM

I've been reading this and started taking honey at bedtime about 5 nights ago. I started out with the local raw honey that I had in the pantry. I also started giving it to my 2y/o...my 7y/o won't touch it. Anyway, it really did help us sleep better. I had the first whole night sleep since DD2 was born the first night we took it. Yesterday I found some Apitherapy raw honey with the propalis and pollen still in it. I took it last night and oh my there is totally a difference between the two. I slept soooo good last night. I was drowsy within 20 minutes of taking it. I only took 1tbs. I couldn't stomach two last night. I can't wait to give it to dd2 tonight!

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#308 of 328 Old 12-13-2008, 06:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone noticed any hormonal changes since taking the honey? My cycle was completely different this month, and the only thing I'm doing different is the honey... just wondering...now off to google honey and hormone changes

Eta, where do you all buy honey, if you get it online?
#309 of 328 Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemama View Post
...Yesterday I found some Apitherapy raw honey with the propalis and pollen still in it. I took it last night and oh my there is totally a difference between the two. I slept soooo good last night. I was drowsy within 20 minutes of taking it....
That's great, bohemama. I don't have honey with proplails and pollen still in it. I wonder if I could just add pollen to my raw honey? I wonder if that might work?
#310 of 328 Old 12-28-2008, 01:00 AM

Is it true that if this remedy doesn't help me sleep, it's because my adrenals are too exhausted? I've had severe insomnia for several weeks now, along with major sweating throughout the night, even with the heat turned down. I had a baby 9 months ago, and I know that my hormones are still pretty out-of-whack. I'm not overweight (100 lbs. 5'2")... So I don't know. Any theories as to why the honey doesn't help me like it seems to help EVERYONE else???
#311 of 328 Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi'sMom View Post
Is it true that if this remedy doesn't help me sleep, it's because my adrenals are too exhausted? I've had severe insomnia for several weeks now, along with major sweating throughout the night, even with the heat turned down. I had a baby 9 months ago, and I know that my hormones are still pretty out-of-whack. I'm not overweight (100 lbs. 5'2")... So I don't know. Any theories as to why the honey doesn't help me like it seems to help EVERYONE else???
I don't have scientific evidence personally, but i think you might be right. My situation is very similar to yours, and the honey gives me nightmares for some reason. I can't honestly tell if it's helping me sleep since my toddler still wakes me up at least twice during the night, and I have to take a sleeping pill to sleep at all these days Now how to fix our adrenals???
#312 of 328 Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
Now how to fix our adrenals???
Do you know about the adrenal fatigue thread?

From my experience, vitamins to nourish the adrenals (see my posts about pantothenic acid) and/or cutting out salicylates, which seem to be the perfect chemical to induce adrenal fatigue and are EVERYWHERE, especially in a TF diet.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#313 of 328 Old 12-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Do you know about the adrenal fatigue thread?

From my experience, vitamins to nourish the adrenals (see my posts about pantothenic acid) and/or cutting out salicylates, which seem to be the perfect chemical to induce adrenal fatigue and are EVERYWHERE, especially in a TF diet.
wow - thanks for the link! now off to absorb that thread...
#314 of 328 Old 02-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Just posted this elsewhere, wanted to share!

Apparently, honey is different because of the fructose, in addition to glucose. Fructose is stored in the liver for future needs of blood sugar regulation. The glucose formed from the fructose is stored in the liver and released only if and when blood glucose falls. AND "The Fructose Paradox" allows for glucose uptake into the liver and therefore prevents a rapid rise in blood glucose.

The first and third links talk about the melatonin connection also. Also related to growth hormone production.
http://www.apitherapy.org/pdfs/Website.Article.Fessenden.HoneyFood2...
http://www.isoactive.com/hd/honey.htm
http://www.prohoneyandhealth.com/UserFiles/image/EDU%20POSTER%20NO%...

From the second article:

Quote:
Any fall in blood glucose is dangerous for the brain. Even a minor fall in blood glucose will cause the brain to panic. This will cause the adrenal glands to be activated, to go into hyper drive and the adrenal hormones are, if overproduced toxic to human biology.
The hormones are of course essential for the type of crisis mentioned but these hormones (stress hormones) make us sick if we produce them chronically.

Chronic overproduction of the adrenal glands is the condition of modern man and will lead to conditions such as heart disease, osteoporosis, obesity, diabetes (non insulin dependent), poor immune function, depression and other distressing conditions with which we are all familiar.

If we can look after our liver glycogen store, by including in our diet the correct balance of carbohydrates so that both the liver and therefore the brain are catered for at all times of the day and night we reduce the requirement for production of the adrenal hormones, and we can then reserve our adrenal glands for their correct function which is for fight or flight.

How do we do this?

By stabilizing blood glucose.

How do we do this?

By looking after our liver glycogen store in the way that nature intended, by using natural fructose from fruit, dried fruit, fruit juice and the other natural source, honey.

And, there's more! Honey contains small amounts of a wide array of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants (and probiotics). The vitamins found in honey may include (depending on floral variety) niacin, thiamin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid; minerals present include calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-honey-health.html

"recommend not more than 10 teaspoons of honey (which is about 50ml)"

Different varietals of honey possess a large amount of friendly bacteria (6 species of lactobacilli and 4 species of bifidobacteria)
, which may explain many of the "mysterious therapeutic properties of honey."
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=96
http://www.prohoneyandhealth.com/Use...m%20Report.pdf

Clinical studies have shown that honey enhances the growth of healthful bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract.
The effect of honey was similar to that of commercial FOS, GOS and inulin. Sweeteners other than honey did not appear to have an effect on stimulating bifidobacteria growth.

1. Honey can enhance the growth of acid production of human Bifidobacterium ss. Journal of Food Protection. 2002; 65(1); 214-8
2. Honey enhances the production of lactic acid from Bifidobacteria, Journal of Food Science, 2001;66(3): 478-481
http://www.weebeehoney.net/honey_for_health.html

I'm rather impressed with honey! I didn't realize the extent of the benefits.

I have a blog.
#315 of 328 Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 PM

and that doesn't even touch medicinal benefits, topical application or it's inherent deliciousness. :

I love my bees!
#316 of 328 Old 03-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Is a Tbsp. of raw honey first thing in the morning after a night of insomnia a good idea?
#317 of 328 Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi'sMom View Post
Is a Tbsp. of raw honey first thing in the morning after a night of insomnia a good idea?
Some raw homemade kefir would be better. It has tryptophan too.

But, honey will help to regulate blood sugar.

Lemon in water helps stomach acid and blood ph, which in turn will help nutrients to be more bio-available. So, maybe some hot (green) tea with lemon and honey.

Pat

I have a blog.
#318 of 328 Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 AM

I have a question about eating the honey with other foods, or on a not-empty stomach: I might be missing something but if the honey works because of the 1:1 glucose/fructose ratio than wouldn't eating any other food (one that contains glucose or fructose) mess up the perfect balance?

Just curious, I for one have no trouble downing 2 heaping tbsp on it's own

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#319 of 328 Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM

Ok, I've been not measuring, but taking the biggest spoon that will fit in my jar and grabbing a heaping amount of it. When I do this, I sleep more soundly. I still wake up - to pee, or to nurse, but my sleep is more productive, it seems. Ifeel more rested. I am contemplating giving it to DD. hmm

A while back, Dolphin said:

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone noticed any hormonal changes since taking the honey? My cycle was completely different this month, and the only thing I'm doing different is the honey... just wondering...now off to google honey and hormone changes
My BBT temps have been a little wackier than usual this cycle, but I don't know if it's due to honey or my injuries.

signature currently in transition
#320 of 328 Old 04-22-2009, 01:08 PM

* never mind
#321 of 328 Old 06-07-2009, 06:29 PM

Bumping.

Pat

I have a blog.
#322 of 328 Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Wow. I love all the info. in this thread and can't wait to try it out. The hard part for me is going to be the total darkness. I get creeped out with no lights and no sounds to block out all the other little sounds. I usually fall asleep with the tv on or at the very least the computer screen with some music playing.
Would it be o.k. to still have some noise? I do sleep better when I have a fan on especially in the summer. It gets stuffy and I need to feel some air moving around me.

Wife to yikes2.gif and mama to: dd(14) lol.gifds(12)ROTFLMAO.giftwin ds'(10)twins.gif 

#323 of 328 Old 05-20-2011, 11:38 AM

Wow - where does the metal in her system come from??

#324 of 328 Old 05-28-2012, 05:15 PM

When it comes to the subject of Honey its not the same rules as raw food at 118 if honey is heated past 70 its not raw and the nutrients and flavor are not the same. Google your local bee keeping association they will have all local bee keepers in the area. I lucked out and found a husband and wife that have their own hives all hard labor no heating used at all and the hive is natural too (some use a bought starter wax hive). Do yourselves a favor and get the best local honey you can find.

Good luck!!

#325 of 328 Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Is it ok to give raw honey to a two year old? Dd is a restless sleeper and loves honey. But I don't want her to lose weight!!!

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#326 of 328 Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 AM

Raw honey is fine for a 2 year old. :-)

Pat

I have a blog.
#327 of 328 Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 AM

For baby its fine. But take care of yourself like I have a good hibernate diet. But along with that I regularly consume grapeseed extract which helps me in keeping my eye and heart healthy.

#328 of 328 Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Yes, I had honey before bed a few nights in a row and I did notice I slept deeper. I also woke up without feeling nauseated. I'm so used to that, I don't even realize it sometimes. But I keep forgetting to take it!!!

Just now I realized something... DD took a LONG nap today after a week or two of not napping very well at all... We just got back from Trader Joes' before her prospective nap time (because she's not really taking them!) and she we had a couple of spoons of honey because DD would NOT let go of that honey bear all the way home! It's not raw. It's the regular stuff.

Guess what? She slept 2 hours today. Wow. This is crazy!!!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page