The Hibernation Diet - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are all making me wish I could give some to my 12 mos old. She has a super hard time staying asleep even though she's not waking up to nurse anymore. She's still up every 2 hours or so

You know what's funny? In 5th grade I did my science fair project on home remedies and taking honey was one of them. My mom was my guinea pig, I didn't have any other test subjects, and we just used plain old honey from the grocery store..prob the kind that's shaped like a bear lol. My mom took it every evening for 2 weeks and it never worked (she has terrible insomnia, we just found out she actually has sleep apnea) AND my poor mom to this day can not stand honey on anything lol.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#62 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 AM

I, too, am in the yeast infection camp. I have spent the past several months trying to clear yeast-causing stuff out of my system. My sense (and hope) now is that if I continue to avoid refined, yeastie-beastie causing crapola, and continue pounding the probiotics, the little bit of honey taken at night won't cause a relapse.

At this point, though, even if I did get yeasties, I wouldn't even know what to attribute it to. I'm currently on a second dose of antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection. I make yogurt at home and in addition to eating yogurt as my main food right now, I have literally been drinking the whey in place of water to get as much of the anti-yeast stuff in me as possible.

Considering it's another stormy night here in SE PA, I'm a little worried about taking honey tonight. I don't want another hyper, restless night.
#63 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

To all the yeasty people: I read someplace recently during my honey research that honey is actually GOOD for Candida. It kills the bad bacteria, helps rebuild the good bacteria and kills the yeast. You might try googling it a bit before you worry too much about it causing you trouble (it'll help you sleep better)
#64 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Ok, well I tried it! And here I am up at 5 am(been up a while) and I feel GOOD. Baby thinks it's time to party and I don't feel wretched. I did go to sleep a bit early last night, but I still got up just a bit after 4 am.

I feel refreshed.Instead of the usual brain fog.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#65 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM

I need to find some raw honey and try this for DD. She still wakes at least once a night, and she's 3. And she loves honey anyway.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#66 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM

Yes, I second that opinion about honey's enzymes killing off yeast, not supporting it. If I even think about sugar, I get yeasty, but this honey/hibernation diet has not caused any problems like that for me. I have lost two pounds this week so far, and have slept and healed so much better than usual. I was thinking about the cost of the honey, but looking at the honey jar we've been using, I think we've only used less than five bucks worth of honey (and I take 2 fl. oz.-about 4 tablespoons), and to me, this effect is well worth it. No amount of expensive prescription medicine could give this miracle, and it would surely cost far, far more. I am so happy you brought this to our attention!
#67 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 AM

So if honey is good for fighting yeast, will raw work that has been filtered? The stuff I have is the raw kind, not "really raw". I spent 120 on this 60lb bucket, and I don't really want to have to buy more.
#68 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM

h! and my kids fell asleep reeeeeaaaally easily last night!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#69 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
You are all making me wish I could give some to my 12 mos old. She has a super hard time staying asleep even though she's not waking up to nurse anymore. She's still up every 2 hours or so
Why don't you do it? I have tried to give some to my 15 month old, but she wont have it.
#70 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Another night of deep sleep and really vivid dreams last night! Though something interesting happened. When I was falling asleep I must have been almost out but was strangely still vey alert. I heard a noise that I swore was at the front of the house, so I woke up DH (he falls asleep in like 20 seconds on this stuff!) and my heart was really pounding 'cause I thought we were about to have a break-in. Turns out it was the neighbors next door getting out of a car in their drive way. So, after the adrenaline rush it took me a long time to get to sleep. Once I got there I still slept really deeply, though!
I was amazed at how clearly I heard that noise like it was only 20 feet away from me when I was nearly asleep. So crazy.
#71 of 328 Old 07-24-2008, 01:10 PM

Very interesting. I am going to have to try this with LO.
Now it makes sense why my Grandmother would give us honey if we woke up during the night.
#72 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFarmGirl View Post
To all the yeasty people: I read someplace recently during my honey research that honey is actually GOOD for Candida. It kills the bad bacteria, helps rebuild the good bacteria and kills the yeast. You might try googling it a bit before you worry too much about it causing you trouble (it'll help you sleep better)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyinNC View Post
Yes, I second that opinion about honey's enzymes killing off yeast, not supporting it. If I even think about sugar, I get yeasty, but this honey/hibernation diet has not caused any problems like that for me. I have lost two pounds this week so far, and have slept and healed so much better than usual. I was thinking about the cost of the honey, but looking at the honey jar we've been using, I think we've only used less than five bucks worth of honey (and I take 2 fl. oz.-about 4 tablespoons), and to me, this effect is well worth it. No amount of expensive prescription medicine could give this miracle, and it would surely cost far, far more. I am so happy you brought this to our attention!
Do you guys have links? A friend of mine has a son who battles yeast & she says honey feeds yeast, but now she won't use agave nectar since the last Wise Traditions.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#73 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
She is on the cusp. But, infants up to one year of age should not be fed raw honey, as their immune systems are not yet developed enough to fend off this normally benign strain. Infection can cause a flaccid paralysis weakening the baby's muscles, causing a "floppy" baby. Other symptoms include constipation, lethargy, poor feeding, weak cry, droopy eyelids, expressionless face, drooling or swallowing difficulty, and occasionally, respiratory arrest. By the age of one year, most children develop enough to resist this normally benign strain of botulinum. http://homecooking.about.com/od/food...oneyhealth.htm

Pat

I have a blog.
#74 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
She is on the cusp. But, infants up to one year of age should not be fed raw honey, as their immune systems are not yet developed enough to fend off this normally benign strain. Infection can cause a flaccid paralysis weakening the baby's muscles, causing a "floppy" baby. Other symptoms include constipation, lethargy, poor feeding, weak cry, droopy eyelids, expressionless face, drooling or swallowing difficulty, and occasionally, respiratory arrest. By the age of one year, most children develop enough to resist this normally benign strain of botulinum. http://homecooking.about.com/od/food...oneyhealth.htm

Pat
:

That's why I'll wait at least prob another 6 mos before trying this. It's just not worth the risk, I'd rather be extra cautious. And on an OT note dd only woke ONCE last night anyways so maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel :

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#75 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Do you guys have links? A friend of mine has a son who battles yeast & she says honey feeds yeast, but now she won't use agave nectar since the last Wise Traditions.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16702110
#76 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

#77 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 02:50 PM

This sounds promising. Although I usually sleep just fine, I sometimes get adreneline surges about an hour after I fall asleep, which wake me up. After reading and researching online, I think they may be nocturnal panic attacks caused by stress. I have definitely had my share of stress, lately. What I've read about the Hibernation Diet says that the honey can ease stress hormones, so in my book, it's definitely worth the try!

Of course, losing some weight and waking up refreshed would be awesome, too!

Whoever started this thread, thanks so much! I'd never heard of this before.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
#78 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioburn View Post

Whoever started this thread, thanks so much! I'd never heard of this before.
Your welcome! I'm so glad that so many people are enjoying this. There is absolutely nothing worse to me than getting all excited about something and having nobody get excited with me or no one to do it with me, so this thread is awesome!

Thanks everyone for getting all fired up with me! :
#79 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Oh, btw, can anyone else NOT get to the website? I only get a blank screen.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
#80 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Wow, crunchyfarmgirl, thanks for the links on yeast. I am still confused about the rawness of the honey. How raw does it have to be for yeast and sleeping aid?

And to the pregnant mama, how is the honey with treating morning sickness?
#81 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I would think the rawness would matter more for the anti-yeast. For a sleeping aid though, he really talked about the fructose/glucose ration and such and I doubt that would change even in pasteurized honey (not that I would recommend ever using that kind).

Does anyone have any articles on the amount lost between raw and unheated honey?
#82 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Me too. I've been trying to view it for days now!

So....DD is 13 months today. I am DYING to try this with her. She wakes up all.the.time. I am actually starting to worry that this may have a negative impact on her - never getting a good stretch of sleep at once. I've read the whole thread and see that someone else is going to wait until about 18 months to try it with their LO. If I were to do it now how much would I give? Since the website isn't working for me...would I use the same dosage for her now and when she's 3 for instance or would you increase it every 6 months or something? If I took it would it have any effect on her through BM?

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#83 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

I've been giving the kids (2.5 and 4.5yo) about a teaspoon a little before bed. Maybe 15 minutes before we start bedtime stuff, so maybe 45-60 minutes before trying to fall asleep. I think it's helping them fall asleep faster (that wasn't a problem though, but I still think it's improved). The website doesn't say anything about children that I saw. All that might be in the book though.

Have you looked into other reasons for the night waking? Like food sensitivites, heavy metals etc... can all cause sleep stuff like that.
#84 of 328 Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 PM

Just wondering, if you drink a bedtime herbal tea with some raw honey does it have the same effect and/or benefits? I do that sometimes. My friend just told me about this thread, so I'll have to try this.
#85 of 328 Old 07-26-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFarmGirl View Post

Have you looked into other reasons for the night waking? Like food sensitivites, heavy metals etc... can all cause sleep stuff like that.
DoulaMary and I are, unfortunately, regular posters on the allergy board for food allergies. I'm sure that's part of the reason our kids don't sleep.

#86 of 328 Old 07-26-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Me too.

I'm tempted to try this "diet" as I love raw honey and am trying to lose 10 pounds. Sleep isn't an issue. I just read something by Dr. Cowan (fourfold healing) about fructose/glucose being harmful to the liver, but I need to go back and read it again. That is my only concern about taking the straight honey EVERY night. I've been trying to remember that primitives didn't have sweet things regularly and that fruits were seasonal for most areas.

Oh, for those buying swarmustin honey : I love Walt and started buying his honey and pollen when I met him at a fair in NY about 4 years ago. I've found "bee parts" in my honey, but it doesn't bother me an proves that I'm getting a raw and minimally touched product. His garlic pepper honey is killer!
#87 of 328 Old 07-26-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
DoulaMary and I are, unfortunately, regular posters on the allergy board for food allergies. I'm sure that's part of the reason our kids don't sleep.
Yup. I'm almost 100% sure we are not eating anything she is intollerant to now. Her sleep never improved on my ED or TED so I don't think that's it. Heavy metals...hhhmmm? How would I know - what are the risk factors for this? I'll take all the suggestions I can get.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#88 of 328 Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 AM

This is all very interesting. I will need to try.

When it comes to sleep, I think some kids just naturally wake up a lot. For many 3 yrs seems to be the time when the sleep patterns change. Dd was always up every two hours. She was closer to three before she started to wake up "only" 2-4 times a night. Now at 3 yrs 4 months she is a great sleeper.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#89 of 328 Old 07-26-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. I'd like to hear more about what Dr. Cowan says. I wonder if this is something we should only be doing seasonally? I'm getting a bit addicted to the sleep though

I seem to have suddenly lost almost 4 lbs. I think it can only be the honey because my diet is the same as the weeks before I started the honey. Exsercise is the same too, weights every 3-4 days.

My 2 yo daughter had been waking every night very consistently and then when I removed dairy/ gluten for my older daughter's sake (ASD) and the 2 yo started sleeping through the night like magic. We just got back her food sensitivity test and found that she has significantly more allergies and stronger reactions as well, even though not very apparent on the outside.

About the metals: because of the ASD we had 4 yo DD tested for metals (even though she's NOT immunized) and found them high. I then had the whole family tested and found that my 2 yo was the highest in the family for lead and mercury. They can cause sleep trouble. I'm shocked because she gives absolutely no symptoms and if I hadn't tested her sister I never would have thought to test her. I'm glad that I did though so we can get it out before any permanent damage is made. Dr. was shocked by all her tests, it just goes to show you the difference that a leaky gut/ digestive issues makes in being on the spectrum or not. 2 yo probably has yeast, but her absorption of nutrients is good enough to have kept her weight good and general health and happiness good.
#90 of 328 Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 PM

Well, I tried this last night, but I don't have any raw or unheated honey, just regular store-bought (I know, but I'm learning). I feel incredibly groggy this morning, as if I was in a pretty deep sleep cycle, when I was awakened. I did wake up 2x last night, once from DH snoring and another from DS having a nightmare, but all of that is normal. There is a farmer's market tomorrow near our house, and I'm going to go and get some real honey and see if it works any better.

I guess I was just not counting on being more tired, but maybe I was just sleeping deeper than normal. The good thing is, I didn't wake up with adrenaline or a panic attack, so that was great!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page