The Hibernation Diet - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 328 Old 07-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me, it was really hard to take the 2 tbsp. straight honey, so last night I mixed that with about 1/2 cup of tepid water and it was much easier to take. I think eating the honey with food at night might counter the results you are looking for. Your body will be busy working on digesting the food.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
#122 of 328 Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enudely View Post
they are whole grain ones, not eggo brand, but I will check the ingredients.
Do you think that could keep me up?? I slept the same way I do every night, and I usually don't eat packaged food type things....

I haven't been eating grains and then the other night I ate rice for dinner that DH had made. I took the honey that night but was still up with terrible insomnia and night waking ALL NIGHT. It was the only night I've used the honey and not slept well, and the grain was the only thing different in my diet.

UPDATE: I recently posted that I had been taking the honey 1-2 hours before bed for awhile and not having the same results. I took it right before laying down last night and it worked fabulous again. I'm done experimenting, it's definitely best right before sleep.
#123 of 328 Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFarmGirl View Post
About the metals: because of the ASD we had 4 yo DD tested for metals (even though she's NOT immunized) and found them high. I then had the whole family tested and found that my 2 yo was the highest in the family for lead and mercury. They can cause sleep trouble. I'm shocked because she gives absolutely no symptoms and if I hadn't tested her sister I never would have thought to test her. I'm glad that I did though so we can get it out before any permanent damage is made. Dr. was shocked by all her tests, it just goes to show you the difference that a leaky gut/ digestive issues makes in being on the spectrum or not. 2 yo probably has yeast, but her absorption of nutrients is good enough to have kept her weight good and general health and happiness good.
What test are you all using for heavy metals???

Eating honey here and I can barely wake up in the middle of the night to nurse my dd. It's working a little too well for me!
#124 of 328 Old 07-29-2008, 01:46 PM

We started the honey last night, dh and I... one heaping tablespoon right before sleep. DD gave me a 5 hour block right off, and then nursed forever. The remainder of the night was as normal.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#125 of 328 Old 07-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Ugh, last night was the first night the honey did NOT work. I was a little hungry because I hadn't eaten in hours, so I drank a cup of milk before taking my honey. Yuck, I should not have done that. Not only do I feel like crap today, but I had awful reflux all night.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#126 of 328 Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post
I'm willing to try again, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong:
- no electric lights in the late day...letting the light fade from the rooms naturally
- black out shades in my bedroom
- 2 big, heaping tsp Good Flow raw honey about 20 min before bed (it's more solid than liquid and easy for me to eat)
Didn't someone on here write about *total* black darkness, no moon or starlight coming in, actually causing stress hormones to be released? I think it was somewhere in this thread.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#127 of 328 Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=DoulaMary;11781628]Me too. I've been trying to view it for days now!
So....DD is 13 months today. I am DYING to try this with her. She wakes up all.the.time. I am actually starting to worry that this may have a negative impact on her - never getting a good stretch of sleep at once. END OF QUOTE

Someone may have already addressed this issue but one thing to consider is emf's. My daughter when she was 3 got her own water bed and it would be hours before she slept and this would go on for days until she was so exhausted that she'd pass out in the afternoon on the couch. I finally realized it was the plugged in water bed heater and so we would unplug it just at night so she could sleep. I now turn off the breaker switch for our bedroom when we sleep at night because it makes such a difference. This is worth trying for anyone having trouble sleeping at night.
This is the first time I've posted at this website-the same 3 year old daughter is now 24 and I'm now a grandma! She told me about the website and I joined and have really enjoyed the posts, the information and it's amazing how you all support one another. I wish I'd had this when I was a new mother
#128 of 328 Old 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM

Welcome, ciaran's nana! I, too, am a grandmother, just for the last two months. I am trying to learn, and then teach my children, what I wish I had known when I had them at home with me. I love the energy and passion as well as the sense of community here; it is one of my favorite websites, and my favorite TF one....
#129 of 328 Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post

Eating honey here and I can barely wake up in the middle of the night to nurse my dd. It's working a little too well for me!
this is what I was afraid of. But I think ds tends to sleep for longer stretches as well.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#130 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
An IV injections of DMPS followed by 6 hours of urine collection.
#131 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 AM

I've been doing the honey before bed for the past couple of weeks, and I think it helps me sleep some. However, when I have to get up in the night, I find I get really really hungry, and then have a hard time getting back to sleep, and staying asleep. I figure more honey in the middle of the night isn't going to help since there probably isn't much tryptophan in my bloodstream at that point. I suppose I should just get up and have a snack and then hope to go back to sleep more soundly.
#132 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 10:26 AM

The honey worked last night! : And thank goodness, cuz I was exhausted. I did wake up a few times during the night, but really, that's inevitable. I'm just an extremely light sleeper.

Anyway, I took TWO heaping teaspoons this time, and man, it was HARD to get that second spoonful down. Ech. I almost gagged. I mean, I love honey, but two spoonfuls straight like that...wow. That's almost too much for me.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#133 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 AM

After about a week of experimentation, here's what I think has given me the best results:

Dose: 1 large tablespoon of Walt's Totally Raw Swarmbustin' Honey

How: I take it in two big swallows, chased down with water (cod liver oil style), otherwise the sweetness is overwhelming for me and makes me a little nauseous.

When: 3-4 hours after my last meal and right before bed. I think this is "key" for me. I have to take it on a relatively empty stomach otherwise I'm uncomfortable and it takes a long time to fall asleep.

In terms of weight, I feel flatter around the midsection, but since I have a policy of not weighing myself (it's too emotionally charged for me), I can't actually report if I've lost any weight or not. I sure am sleeping well, though, and waking up feeling refreshed and not achy as usual.
#134 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM

Last night was night two.
We each took two tablespoons in a cup of warm water.
I slept like the dead.
I think I got 9 hours straight for the first time since my child was born!
Its totally possible that I nursed during the night and don't remember...
We're continuing with our experiment!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#135 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 01:43 PM

It's not working!!! in fact, last night I had the worst insomnia in my recent memory. I took one teaspoon of honey straight right before bed. It took me about an hour to get to sleep in the first place. My daughter woke me up at 1:30 (surprise surprise) and I could NOT fall back asleep. At 4:30 I finally got up and started to read and had a snack. At 5:30 I started getting spots in my vision, followed by a killer migraine.
I am cutting out ALL caffeine today, and will try the honey one more time.

Could it be I'm having the opposite reaction??

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#136 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 01:55 PM

I actually had the same reaction the first two nights. I'd say keep trying and experimenting.

Also, some of it for me has been psychological. I may have been trying to "observe" my reactions too much at first, and wasn't letting my mind drift off.
#137 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Could it be that you are not taking enough honey? I've been taking just over a tbsp of honey in water and that seems to be the trick, for me. I don't think a teaspoon would help me. Other than my DS waking at 2 am, I slept like a log through the night. I also think it's helping with the weight loss, but slowly.

I hope you can get some rest, somehow!

Oh, sorry, this was for Enudely.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
#138 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 PM

Well I tried it. I did it for three nights and all three nights when I woke in the moddle of the night I had the groggy I want to go back to sleep feeling like I do when I take allergy meds.

Last night I was out late with the girls and for got to take it and I didn't have the really sleepy feeling in the middle of the night. I'm sitting sipping my raw honey out of a shot glass and I try to head to bed with in a half hour of taking it. We will see what happens!
#139 of 328 Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJmama View Post
for got to take it and I didn't have the really sleepy feeling in the middle of the night. I'm sitting sipping my raw honey out of a shot glass and I try to head to bed with in a half hour of taking it.
Except for the shot glass, this has been my experience. When I take it, if I'm awakened by an 18 month old joining me in bed, I am groggy and doze off right away. Last night I forgot, though. She came in and she fell right back to sleep. I was up for a little bit thinking, why can't I fall right back to sleep?

So far it's been worth it to me and I'll keep up my unscientific experimentation.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#140 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enudely View Post

It's not working!!! in fact, last night I had the worst insomnia in my recent memory. I took one teaspoon of honey straight right before bed. It took me about an hour to get to sleep in the first place. My daughter woke me up at 1:30 (surprise surprise) and I could NOT fall back asleep. At 4:30 I finally got up and started to read and had a snack. At 5:30 I started getting spots in my vision, followed by a killer migraine.
I am cutting out ALL caffeine today, and will try the honey one more time.

Could it be I'm having the opposite reaction??
The first night I tried it I only took a teaspoon also, and slept horribly. The second two nights I had two tablespoons and slept like I haven't slept in years (roughly four to be exact ). Maybe more honey will work for you too.
#141 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 AM

For the past 7 pages I'm seeing some people have good results with sleep improvement, some bad, and some go back and forth. I'm only taking it to lose a few pounds, but if I take my 1 heaping TBSP of raw honey just before bed and have another snack on my belly things just don't feel right. I feel much better if I haven't eaten for about 3 hours before taking the honey (and I can pack away the food no problem). It doesn't affect my sleep, but things just feel off.
I wonder if the honey must be taken on an empty stomach just before bed to have the sleep benefits? Has anyone taken the honey on a full stomach and found that sleep is improved?
I find this thread and the different sleep responses to the honey sooooo interesting.
#142 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 AM

I think for some of you- you may be having a reaction sort of like detox?

It's hard to say, but I am curious and want to know exactly why some of us aren't sleeping well with it!

#143 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 01:27 AM

for me its not the getting to sleep thats a problem its the waking up :P

in the past i have found that the quality of sleep was improved most.... by following food combination principles a la body ecology diet. By cutting gluten, dairy... and food combining i found that food digested more efficiently and I producted less mucus so i could breath alot easier than normally. also keep in mind if you aren't eating grains you might not get enough carbs which could affect sleep
#144 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
I think for some of you- you may be having a reaction sort of like detox?

It's hard to say, but I am curious and want to know exactly why some of us aren't sleeping well with it!

It's been working for me really well with the exception of when I took it too early before bed, and I'm REALLY toxic. I'm in the middle of chelation therapy and can only tolerate about 1/4 cup of kombucha right now but I'm even better with none. I'm pretty sure that if it was detoxing me in any way that I'd be extremely sensitive to that right now.
#145 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 AM

Moneca: I find it works best for me when I take it on a relatively empty stomach, i.e., about 3-4 hours after my last full meal (I'm not too rigid or strict about this..I'll occasionally snack on some seeds or have tea with milk somewhere in the mix), and right before bed.

I find I get a little bit hyper right before falling asleep, and then I pretty much crash. The one time I took it an hour before sleep, I got really hyper and could not sleep at all. And when I've taken it on a full stomach, I feel really queasy.

In the morning I have a little trouble waking up (even with a full 8 hours of sleep behind me), but once I wake up I feel amazing... refreshed, bright, no achyness, no stuffiness.

My DH again looked at me with that special cynical look of his this morning and said, "Well, if you're enjoing this wonderful placebo effect, who am I to stop you?" To which I said, "Placebo, schmacebo.... I think there's something to this..."
#146 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 PM

Well, I've officially lost about 2 1/2 pounds, since starting this. I woke up feeling really great this morning, for the first time since doing this. I'll definitely will keep doing this!

#147 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 12:35 PM

I definitely feel flatter. I agree with another poster about it being too emotionally charged to check weight. I already know I am over what I could/should be, so why? Numbers mean nothing to me. It's whether my cute JCrew linen skirts in a size medium fit. They don't yet.

But I do feel flatter and I wake up feeling like someone who really slept. Almost, normal.....

#148 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 11:19 PM

I have gotten up to the 1 tablespoon amount, and have had terrible results. With yeast that is. It is terrible! I did sleep harder though, and I have a hard time hearing my baby wake. I do not want to loose any weight, so I don;t know if I will continue to do this experiment.
#149 of 328 Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 PM

It seems to be giving me yeast issues too. I sleep better that's for sure but my yeast-related allergies have flared up badly. I'm afraid I simply don't believe those practitioners claiming honey is anti-yeast. For me it definitely seems to be pro-yeast. And yes, I am using raw, local honey.
#150 of 328 Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 AM

.... and following up on the two previous posts, I found this:

http://www.honeyflowfarm.com/newslet...pring/diet.htm

and was wondering how others would react to reading it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page