The Hibernation Diet - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 328 Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
The honey is supposed to be good for your adrenals, right? The better sleep helps them recharge.

Adrenals are responsible for something like 35% of your sex hormones pre-menopause. If you're experiencing adrenal fatigue, your sex hormones can get out of whack.

Could the better quality sleep be allowing your adrenals to pump out better ratios and quantities of estrogen and progesterone, so help reduce menstrual-related symptoms? if so, COOL!
That's an interesting thought. I wonder if it could be true? I agree that it would be cool, if so!

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
#182 of 328 Old 08-07-2008, 02:23 PM

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I am wondering if any of you who are temping noticed any change in your temps due to the honey. If it lowers blood glucose, I would expect to see some change. When I used to eat the standard American diet and had higher blood glucose, my temps ran high, and when I gave up sugar and all refined foods, my temps dropped considerably.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#183 of 328 Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I am wondering if any of you who are temping noticed any change in your temps due to the honey. If it lowers blood glucose, I would expect to see some change. When I used to eat the standard American diet and had higher blood glucose, my temps ran high, and when I gave up sugar and all refined foods, my temps dropped considerably.
Oh wow! My temps always used to run 98.6 my whole life. About a year and a half ago I noticed my temps were always 96.5 to 97.5. I had been chelating and detoxing for a couple years and couldn't figure it out. I've also been pretty strict TF for almost 3 years. I thought something was wrong with my thyroid even though I have no other symptoms of thyroid issues at all. I had it checked per standard blood analysis and then energetically through my acupuncturist/NAET practitioner. All was perfect. It has always stumped me and I was a bit worried about the low temps because we're hoping to ttc soon. I read [U]Garden of Fertility[U] and found that it can affect you ability to conceive.
I wonder how eating TF would affect temp if there is any connection. Anyone else notice a lowering in body temp after eating TF?
#184 of 328 Old 08-08-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
I had been chelating and detoxing for a couple years...
OT: did you feel better or worse after your chelations? I had felt better short term after DMPS for the test but after my EDTA chelation felt horrible. My Dr. is on vacation for 2 weeks and not responding to my email and I'm dying to know if it's okay to feel worse or if something is wrong.
#185 of 328 Old 08-09-2008, 01:40 AM

Thank you all for this thread. I've used http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/ for two nights and have noticed a great difference.

I gave some to my kids last night. They looked at me like I was crazy for giving them something sweet right before bed but slept about 30 minutes later in the morning.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#186 of 328 Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFarmGirl View Post
OT: did you feel better or worse after your chelations? I had felt better short term after DMPS for the test but after my EDTA chelation felt horrible. My Dr. is on vacation for 2 weeks and not responding to my email and I'm dying to know if it's okay to feel worse or if something is wrong.
Honestly, I've read quite a bit about the dangers of EDTA and DMPS. I did everything on my own and started out with DMSA and added ALA for about 9 months then switched to NCD with ALA. I'd suggest you read through the chelating mamas thread in the dental forum. There is a lot of information there. The thread is probably 2 or 3 pages back.
#187 of 328 Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Honestly, I've read quite a bit about the dangers of EDTA and DMPS. I did everything on my own and started out with DMSA and added ALA for about 9 months then switched to NCD with ALA. I'd suggest you read through the chelating mamas thread in the dental forum. There is a lot of information there. The thread is probably 2 or 3 pages back.

Awesome, Thank you!!
#188 of 328 Old 08-10-2008, 12:11 PM

I was exhausted last night and I knew that falling asleep wouldn't be a problem, but I wanted the "recovery" that the honey provides so I got up and ate some...I had a very hard time falling asleep and I laid there for a long time with my heart racing.
#189 of 328 Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 PM

We're still going strong with the honey here. I wake up happy and motivated... it makes my husband sleep like a ROCK-

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#190 of 328 Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 PM

Just finished the book and I'm very glad I didn't buy it. Same info repeated over and over. Anyway, the book did not give any mention of taking the honey before bed on an empty stomach. The authors also considered yoga and pilates as resistance training - sweet for me as I'll just keep doing the yoga.
#191 of 328 Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Just finished the book and I'm very glad I didn't buy it. Same info repeated over and over. Anyway, the book did not give any mention of taking the honey before bed on an empty stomach. The authors also considered yoga and pilates as resistance training - sweet for me as I'll just keep doing the yoga.
so what IS recommended for honey/bedtime? thx!
#192 of 328 Old 08-10-2008, 10:12 PM

It says there is no substitute for honey before bed- 1-2 TB... taken various ways- straight, in tea, on toast, in smoothies, etc.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#193 of 328 Old 08-10-2008, 10:52 PM

1-2 Tablespoons? I heard 1-2 ounces...is that too much?
#194 of 328 Old 08-11-2008, 12:17 AM

Sorry. That wasn't very clear as I was addressing a previous question of mine regarding whether it was necessary to take the honey on an empty stomach. They just state to take 1 to 2 TBSP of honey before bed in combination with other foods/drink if that is desired.
#195 of 328 Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 AM

I just found the quote by Dr. Thomas Cowan MD regarding honey and the liver :

We know that alcohol consumption puts a strain on the liver, but fructose is equally harmful. All fruit juices, fructose-sweetened foods and drinks, and even a surfeit of honey and fruit should be avoided.
The Fourfold Path to Healing p. 236

Seems that a couple TBSP per night would not be an issue by itself.
#196 of 328 Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 PM

I can't get the link to the Hibernation Diet to open. Can someone tell me WHY honey helps you sleep deeper and longer?
#197 of 328 Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 PM

Well, the way I remember it, he talks about how the honey feeds the liver, which then provides nourishment to the rest of the body...and that the honey starts a chain reaction of amino acids...first tryptophan, which causes drowsiness (like turkey does), then serotonin, which causes relaxation, then melatonin (when you sleep in the dark), which aids in deep, restful recuperative, restorative sleep and healing. Seems to be working for me and for my dh.
#198 of 328 Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 PM

I'm wondering if anyone with young nurslings has noticed an improvement in the babes sleep? I'm going to try this as soon as I get my hands on some raw local honey. I'm thinking it will knock out my evening sweet tooth at the same time!
#199 of 328 Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulmama View Post
I'm wondering if anyone with young nurslings has noticed an improvement in the babes sleep? I'm going to try this as soon as I get my hands on some raw local honey. I'm thinking it will knock out my evening sweet tooth at the same time!

I have. Mine sleeps longer during the night, skipping a session. He is 5 months. Which is fine, he just tanks up at another time. So he sleeps about 2 hours longer without nursing. In the wee hours.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#200 of 328 Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
I can't get the link to the Hibernation Diet to open. Can someone tell me WHY honey helps you sleep deeper and longer?
honey science!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#201 of 328 Old 08-21-2008, 12:56 PM

I once again stopped taking the honey, because I've gained 5 pounds out of nowhere, and I'm really, really cranky about it.

I don't sleep in total darkness, either, and don't really want to invest in blackout curtains, since we're renting. Then again... we'll be here at least another year, so maybe a year's worth of good sleep would be worth it?

For those who've read the book... is there any hope of getting the good recovery sleep without total darkness at night?

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#202 of 328 Old 08-21-2008, 01:24 PM

Invest in an eye mask.
#203 of 328 Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemango View Post
Invest in an eye mask.
I think, though, that just an eye mask wouldn't do the trick. Wasn't there a study where they were able to stop melatonin production just by shining a light behind the person's knee, even through covers?

Oh, give me a cave, my adrenals I'll save...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#204 of 328 Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

Oh, give me a cave, my adrenals I'll save...
ROTF!!!

I'll live in that cave with ya! My adrenals need a lot of help.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#205 of 328 Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, your whole body can "see" the light, but it only needs to be under 5 lux which is about the amount of light the full moon gives. I'd block out a street light or something, but I let the moon shine in.
#206 of 328 Old 08-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Blackout shades are only like $15-20ish, custom cut to fit the width of the window. We got ours at Lowe's. A little light gets around the perimiter unless you have a perfect fit, but the curtains generally make that little bit negligible.

#207 of 328 Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM

so I am guessing "natural honey" is out. like the honey bear ain't cutting it?
or does it matter what kind of honey...

always :
- baby boy arrived in Oct 2009!
#208 of 328 Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 AM

I think raw honey is best.
For several reasons, but mainly for gut issues. I think raw honey at night keeps me from craving sweets the next day And keeps bad bacteria/yeasts in check.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#209 of 328 Old 08-22-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Blackout shades are only like $15-20ish, custom cut to fit the width of the window. We got ours at Lowe's. A little light gets around the perimiter unless you have a perfect fit, but the curtains generally make that little bit negligible.
I've never seen them that cheap, but I never thought to look for them at Lowe's. Instead of a window, our room has a patio door... so it's a wide expanse we have to cover. Right now we have supremely ugly drapes... would the blackout curtains replace the drapes or just line them, I wonder?

#210 of 328 Old 08-22-2008, 11:23 AM

I used to have some thermal-lined drapes on a large sliding-door. They were thick and had an opaque white layer that goes on the window side. I don't think they were all that expensive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page