The Hibernation Diet - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I am wondering if there is more to the diet than just eating honey at night? Are other food involved?
I have added mine to pom/blueberry juice to get it down-- still seems to work . the juice is All natural Fruit simple with no added sugars. It has apple and lemon juice too. I supposed to make it a bit sweeter, pomegranate is quite tart.

EDIT: What would be considered too hot/warm for honey anyways?? I know that hives are kept at about 95 F inside for the proper development of larva and honey-- and the last honey place that I visited kept their extraction room at at least 90F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylatay View Post
Yep, that could be it. I go to bed around 12am to 1am. I've done this all my life. It's going to be really hard to change my bedtime!! LOL
I've read that melatonin peaks around 1:30AM, which might explain why it doesn't work when you go to bed late -- because it takes a couple of hours after the absence of light for your body to start producing melatonin, right? So if you're giving your body the "ramp up melatonin" signal at the time when it would naturally be ramping down -- around 3:30 -- then maybe it goes a little haywire. Just guessing here.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 PM

Very interesting! This is all new to me.

Years ago, I faithfully took Bragg's apple cider vinegar and raw local honey three times per day, the last being at bedtime.

I have lupus, and I've really struggled with candida caused by long term steroid use. ACV plus honey seemed to help when I was feeling the worst. I also lost weight.

I'm starting up the ACV and honey again. Is there anything in this new info that would contraindicate the ACV with the honey at bedtime, for all these benefits from honey?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGardener View Post
I have added mine to pom/blueberry juice to get it down-- still seems to work . the juice is All natural Fruit simple with no added sugars. It has apple and lemon juice too. I supposed to make it a bit sweeter, pomegranate is quite tart.

EDIT: What would be considered too hot/warm for honey anyways?? I know that hives are kept at about 95 F inside for the proper developement of larva and honey-- and the last honey place that I visited kept their extraction room at at least 90F.
You just want to keep in below hive temperature. I think it was in "We Want to Live" that I read the actual temp. the hive has to get before the bees start fanning it, and then there was a temp. for when they just abandon the honey and will only use it as a last resort. Sorry, I don't remember the numbers though.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFarmGirl View Post
You just want to keep in below hive temperature. I think it was in "We Want to Live" that I read the actual temp. the hive has to get before the bees start fanning it, and then there was a temp. for when they just abandon the honey and will only use it as a last resort. Sorry, I don't remember the numbers though.
I didn't want to be confrontational, but I am one of those kinda gals who just has to "know why". I try to get my honey within 10 miles of my home and I know that the extraction process in one of them is quite warm to get the most honey to flow out.. and it is strained. I don't want folks to think that I am being confrontational or anything.-- I have been diluting mine to make it easier to swallow. and having only taken it for 2 days I can tell that it has helped with the sleeping.
I was in a severe car accident 8 years ago and have had to learn to live with nerve damage in my back which make my arms go tingly and dead when I do too much or when I try to get some sleep-- so for the last 8 years I have only gotten so much sleep and have put on over 60 lbs. And while it hasn't helped with the needing to go to sleep, it has helped once I went to sleep-- I have really gotten some great, deep sleep the last two nights and I hope to do so again tonight. Also I have finally broken the weight plateau that I have hit-- I have weighted about 201 to 204 the last 6 months-- this morning-- for the first time in a long time 199lb!!
I just went and took the honey without mixing it into stuff-- funny it went down better! go figure.. I think that it is helping a lot and I will keep updating for you all-- But ya know what is wild?? I am very allergic to bee stings-- I am glad that there have been no side effects to the honey eating!:
Old 10-01-2008, 04:52 PM

I’ve tried the honey before bed...and it really seems to work! I’ve done it for 2 nights so far: 1 night I ate the honey spread on buttered toast, and 1 night I put it into hot mint tea. Both nights I slept better than usual. I usually have hours of restless awake time during the night, but not with the honey.

The honey I’m using I bought from a farm stand nearby, and I’m not sure if it’s raw or not. When I bought the honey it was liquid, and now it’s crystalized--and rock hard!

I’m so glad you mentioned that melatonin peaks at 1:30am, mbravebird, because that’s another piece of the puzzle for me figuring out my sleep troubles. Just recently I’m trying to go to sleep earlier (as you already know), and maybe even my getting the lights out by 11pm isn’t enough time to give the melatonin a chance to really get going. And then maybe I’m wakeful around 3, 4, and 5 am because that’s my melatonin going down again?

By the way, if anyone on this thread wants to join my “Early to bed support thread,” come on over to the Health and Healing forum! After reading Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival by T.S. Wiley, I decided I seriously have to stop being a night owl.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:49 AM

I'm new to this site, and this is a long thread so I haven't read it ALL... just stop me if I'm being redundant. I saw that moms are giving the honey to their kids and in what approximate doses but I didn't see whether anyone was having a postive result from that. My kid likes to wake up EARLY and putting him to bed later equals he wakes up earlier still! So I think honey could be a great help there... any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:06 PM

DD, 18 mo, usually wakes up at least once at night and won't go back to sleep until I nurse her. She is also usually an early riser (5am, even when it's still dark out). I have given her about 1/2-3/4 t. of honey before bed for the last 3 nights and SHAZAAM! Sleeping all the way through the night and sleeping until 7am!!!!!!!!!! She has "stirred" a bit and make a couple of noises in the middle of the night but she quickly goes back to sleep and I didn't have get out of bed and nurse her!

I have tried EVERYTHING to get that kid to sleep better at night and nothing has seemed to make a difference except the honey. It's only been 3 nights but she has NEVER slept through the night for 3 nights in a row and NEVER slept past 6am.

If this keeps up I just may actually get some rest for the first time since she's been born and start feel human again in a couple of weeks...............
Old 10-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Thank you so much! I'll try it tonight. I took honey myself last night an results were typical.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks to the person who started this thread, and thank God I found it!

DH and I have been taking approx. 2 Tbsp honey before bed (dissolved in a cup of warm water or tea) for several nights now. The improvement in DH's quality of sleep has been nothing short of miraculous.

We didn't previously realize he has a sleep problem. We just thought he was a really light sleeper. He has a variety of other problems, and adrenal fatigue is probably one of them (not confirmed by testing, but he has the symptoms). And his inability to sleep well just means he gets worn down by the stresses of work and family life, then can't recharge his batteries overnight so he starts the next day already exhausted.

Normally he sleeps fitfully and comes to full wakefulness a few times during the night, then has trouble falling back to sleep. The honey makes it possible for him to only barely touch the surface of consciousness (like if one of the kids makes noise in their sleep or something) and immediately drop back into deep sleep. As a result, he is feeling more refreshed than he has in years. PRAISE GOD!! :

My experience has been less dramatic, but still good. Mainly I notice that I can recall my dreams, for the first time in ages. They're strange, but entertaining
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM

I'm definitely interested in trying this out. Right now, I have some honey from WinCo that is supposed to be raw (I posted question about that b/c I'm wondering how it can be really raw). Anyway, have others had success w/ grocery store type honey instead of raw honey?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:27 PM

Ok, I managed to keep taking honey at night.

the first night....great sleep
the second and third......horrible sleep
But from then on ...... GREAT SLEEP

So I guess it does work for me, I don't know why I had problems the second and third night. Strange. I have also been getting to bed by 12am. (this is prob the earliest I will ever go to bed. With 5 children, it is better for my sanity to have my "own" time at night than anything else. And it's such a part of who I am.) I also now practice darkening the room and NO more TV in bed. (my husband works out of town and it's kept me company )

On a side note. I've never had a problem with sleeping, however, I used to be able to drink coffee at all hours, now I can't drink it past 5pm.

So after all that rambling....I can honestly say honey works here too. Yay Honey.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 PM

I'm wondering if some of the trouble sleeping at first is a detox rxn of the brain. The body maybe hasn't been able to properly REM sleep and has a cleansing rxn when you finally get high quality sleep. So, the sleep issue worsens before it gets better.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:18 PM

I tried the honey last night, 2tbsp. I took it straight and rather enjoyed it. I did wake up a few times when the cat jumped on the bed and DS wanted to nurse, etc...but I did not get wide awake and was able to go right back to sleep (very unusual for me). I woke this morning feeling okay, not energized but not exhausted either. I did have very, very vivid weird dreams. Nothing scary though...just bizarre. LOL.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
I tried the honey last night, 2tbsp. I took it straight and rather enjoyed it. I did wake up a few times when the cat jumped on the bed and DS wanted to nurse, etc...but I did not get wide awake and was able to go right back to sleep (very unusual for me). I woke this morning feeling okay, not energized but not exhausted either. I did have very, very vivid weird dreams. Nothing scary though...just bizarre. LOL.
I found that I don't wake up energized, more than often I wake up feeling like I slept HARD. I'm not losing weight, or feeling more energized throughout my day.

For me the benefits are falling asleep easy, falling back to sleep easy and hopefully getting a more "unseen" benefits of repair in my sleep. I've only been at it for a little while too. So there's hope.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:16 PM

My mom just told me that she tried it last night too and slept really well. She's been having terrible sleep problems b/c of illness and hasn't slept a full night in several weeks at least.

I'm planning to try it w/ DS too. I wonder if it will help w/ night nursings.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:05 PM

I'm trying this too. I bought Apitherapy brand honey from H.E.B.'s Central Market, it says its raw and unheated. I'm not sure how I'll get two tablespoons down, I like honey, but not that much. Hopefully it will help me break my weight loss plateau. I really want to get these ten vanity pounds off. Better sleep would be and absolute lifesaver too, I just can't seem to get going in the morning and my housework is reflecting that.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:23 PM

I don't do the honey every night, but there are some nights my body craves it. Especially when I have heartburn, I can feel it burning so bad, but then I take the honey and by the time I go to sleep, I have forgotten about the HB. When I do take the honey at night, I always see a difference on the scale in the morning. Usually 1-2 pounds.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 PM

For the first couple nights I took it, the honey worked pretty well in helping me with my sleep. But then I had several nights with my usual awake time in the middle of the night, although with honey, I stayed awake for only an hour instead of two. Then last night I just didn't feel like consuming honey before bed, and I slept very fitfully with lots of awake time.

I guess the honey helps a little bit, but I don't like the taste it leaves in my mouth afterward, and I feel like it couldn't possibly be good for my teeth--despite testimony to the contrary.

Also, what's this weight loss thing people are talking about? I haven't seen any of that.

I guess I'll keep experimenting with it.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 AM

Hi there. I'm kind of new around here and I have a couple of questions about this "diet". Is there a method to this? I went and got some raw honey but I couldn't find true unheated honey. Is this necessary? If it is, why? And where would I find honey like this?

Next, do you have to take it minutes before going to sleep or would an hour be okay, for example? I have also taken it with a spoonful of plain yogurt so I could handle the sweetness-does it have to be all by itself? Do I need an empty tummy for it? Sorry if some of these quesions have been answered. I haven't read all 13 pages of the thread.

It hasn't worked so far for me. Tonight will be night 3 or 4. I'm so tired I don't even remember. It's taking me extra long to fall asleep lately and I'm definitely not more energized in the morning. I'm just wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
I guess the honey helps a little bit, but I don't like the taste it leaves in my mouth afterward, and I feel like it couldn't possibly be good for my teeth--despite testimony to the contrary.

Also, what's this weight loss thing people are talking about? I haven't seen any of that.
For the taste left in your mouth, could you drink some yummy herbal tea afterward? As for the teeth, I always brush my teeth afterward, so I don't see why it would be bad for them.

I don't see weight loss, either. I've been doing this for a few yrs., so I wouldn't expect to see it at this point, but I didn't see any when I started, either.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:52 PM

I have just been taking raw honey (don't know if it's trully unheated or not) right before bed. I try to eat at lest 2 hours before bed, so I think my stomach's probably pretty empty when I take the honey. I also take a does of coconut oil right before the honey.

So far, so good. Last night, I did have a waking episode and wasn't able to fall asleep right away, but I didn't end up awake all night, which has happened to me before. The night before that I had the best sleep I've had in a really, really long time. I'm still a little tired during the day, but I think I have a lot of sleep debt. I'm going to keep doing the honey b/c it really does seem to be helping my sleep overall. Now...I wish it'd help my waistline. LOL.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Well I must be missing something. Last night I slept worse than I have in as long as I can remember-and I'm 2 months postpartum! I don't think I collected more than 4-5 hours all together. I'm not going to continue the honey unless anybody has some concrete advice about what I'm doing wrong? Sounds like I'm the only one here with these exact opposite results!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dera View Post
Well I must be missing something. Last night I slept worse than I have in as long as I can remember-and I'm 2 months postpartum! I don't think I collected more than 4-5 hours all together. I'm not going to continue the honey unless anybody has some concrete advice about what I'm doing wrong? Sounds like I'm the only one here with these exact opposite results!
There are some other people on this thread who had the same results as you. One of them turned out to be allergic to honey, she said.

What's the proper dose for a 2-3 yo?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post

What's the proper dose for a 2-3 yo?
I give my kiddos (ages 2-6) one dessert teaspoon and it seems to be about right.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 AM

Same here. My 3 & 5yo take 1 tsp willingly. My 6yo won't touch it.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
Old 10-07-2008, 01:54 PM

Thanks! I think I gave him 1 Tbsp and he turned into psycho boy. But maybe he was just having an off night anyway; I don't know. Will do 1 tsp instead!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dera View Post
I had the same results night 2 & 3 but then it's worked ever since. Keep trying it, at least for 4 or 5 days. By then you should know if it will work or not.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylatay View Post
I had the same results night 2 & 3 but then it's worked ever since. Keep trying it, at least for 4 or 5 days. By then you should know if it will work or not.
Thanks! I'm going to try and locate some truly unheated honey before I give it another go but thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:34 PM

it says that it is organic and not heated as high as other brands. will it lose it's effectivenes if i give it warmed with lemon to my kids. they are sick.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.

User Tag List