The Hibernation Diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 328 Old 07-16-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else heard of this? I came across it while reading about honey. He tells us to simply eat 1-2 oz. of honey before bed. Seems like a great accompaniment to my sleeping with the sun routine. And beside who can possibly argue with a great reason to eat honey everynight (on top of the half dozen other times a day I sneak a spoonful) :
#2 of 328 Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM

I saw the video and googled around for more info (since I had a really hard time understanding what the man was saying). It's hardly a testimony yet, but I took two teaspoonfuls of honey last night and slept like a log. I didn't wake up one single time... not even to pee, as I often do, despite the fact that I drank more water before bed than usual.

So... I think I like this honey thing. I'll see if I can keep it going.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#3 of 328 Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Hey... any reason to eat more honey is a good reason!
#4 of 328 Old 07-17-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GouGou View Post
Hey... any reason to eat more honey is a good reason!
That's what I thought too! :

Junegoddess: I slept great last night too. I did have to wake up to administer a B12 shot to DD, but after that I didn't stir in the slightest, which doesn't often happen to me.
#5 of 328 Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM

I tried it last night too - OMG! I slept like the dead. I didn't even wake up when DH got up early to get ready for work. And the dreams! I had so many vivid, intense dreams. I'm still reeling.

Feel pretty good now though. Might try it again and see if it was just a one off (the power of suggestion?) or if there is something more in it.
#6 of 328 Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

I had vivid dreams too! A bit gruesome but in a positive non scary way that only dreams can have. I can't wait to see what happens tonight. Keep reporting back everyone!
#7 of 328 Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 PM

Well, that is interesting. I'm going to try it tonight.

I poked around some and couldn't find the answer to a couple of questions:
Does it have to be totally unheated honey or can it be just raw honey (which is heated to 117 degrees?)

Does it have to be by itself, or can you put it on toast with butter? I'm thinking that it has to be by itself, right, to get the right glucose/fructose ratio?

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#8 of 328 Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

I would think unheated would be best, but I was shocked to read your post and find out that raw honey could mean that it had been heated slightly.

I didn't read anything about it needing to be eaten by itself, but maybe some experimentation would let you know if that's working for you. We're only one night into it, but people seem to be having some pretty consistent results as a group. :
#9 of 328 Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 AM

I am going to try this... will report back.
#10 of 328 Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 AM

How much would I give my 15 month old? How much is 1-2 oz? how many tablespoons?
#11 of 328 Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 AM

http://www.hibernationdiet.com/

Same video and more info. Very interesting ideas to look into further.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#12 of 328 Old 07-18-2008, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
How much would I give my 15 month old? How much is 1-2 oz? how many tablespoons?
2 tbsp is 1 oz

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#13 of 328 Old 07-18-2008, 08:47 AM

I've been working my way up to just one full tablespoon... can't imagine two. I just have such a long-standing distrust of sweet things. LOL

I've taken mine with a few macadamia nuts, because... I wanted to. How's that for scientific?

Once again, I slept very, very well.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#14 of 328 Old 07-18-2008, 10:03 AM

Well, I slept like a rock last night. Almost like I was sedated. Was that the feeling of more melatonin?

I only did 2-3 tsp.

I'm excited by the thought that this supports the adrenals, too. Thanks for sharing this!!

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#15 of 328 Old 07-18-2008, 10:04 AM

TABLESPOON !!!!!!

Goodness me, I've completely misheard/misread that bit. I just took a generous TEAspoon before bed. Seemed to be enough. I can't imagine eating an entire tablespoon all at once, let alone two, let alone giving that much to a small child.

Blimey.
#16 of 328 Old 07-18-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I slept awesome again last night too! Some night waking happened because of my cat but not more than is normal for me, but what was more than normal was how deeply I slept and how rested I felt in the morning. Even when I was woken in the night I felt like it didn't wake me as completely I it usually does and the biggest thing was how effortlessly and quickly I fell back into a nice deep sleep. And tons of vivid dreams again!

I've been taking just a big scoop full with a spoon, probably equal to about a tablespoon or 1.5 tbs. at the most.
#17 of 328 Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 PM

I've been using honey at night to help me sleep for a few years now. A dr. suggested it to me. Works great! I don't take nearly 1-2 oz., though. I just dip my spoon in and take it out, probably between 1/2-1 teaspoon, a little more if I'm feeling naughty . My blood sugar would not be OK if I took more, but it's fine at these levels. Since I wasn't told otherwise, it never occured to me that it should be eaten alone. Ever since I got pregnant, and now I'm nursing a fair amount still, I need a snack at bedtime, so honey is always a part of that. Plus, I seem to need to a carb + fat snack before bed to keep my blood sugar OK (it's tough, but I manage ). It seems to work just fine that way, same as the nights that I skip the snack and just have a little honey.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#18 of 328 Old 07-19-2008, 10:38 AM

When I was a little girl, someone once read me a children's book about Johann Sebastian Bach, who had 21 children (!!!!!) and every night before tucking them in, he would give each of them a bedtime snack of good German rye bread spread with butter and honey. That story always stayed with me.
#19 of 328 Old 07-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Does anyone have any concerns about honey causing cavities?

Also what about if someone has yeast issues? Should they avoid the honey. On the Hibernation diet website, he says it is great for pregnant women with morning sickness. But I remember that I was so prone to yeast infections when I was pregnant.
#20 of 328 Old 07-19-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

I read a study that said that honey is kills off the bad bacteria and is an anti fungal, so it was being promoted to help candida and rebuild probiotics and kill off bad bacteria. I think it works in the same way as kombucha in that regard. The ph must be just right to allow the probiotics to survive while the others are killed.

I take the honey and then brush my teeth afterwards...
#21 of 328 Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 PM

So, I told my mom to try taking the honey at bedtime because she has a terrible time sleping. She has been sleeping great and has also lost 3 lbs. I didn't even tell her about the weight loss because I didn't want her to be looking for it. It was a total bonus for her!
I'm starting this tonigh, too!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#22 of 328 Old 07-20-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Does anyone have any concerns about honey causing cavities?

Also what about if someone has yeast issues? Should they avoid the honey. On the Hibernation diet website, he says it is great for pregnant women with morning sickness. But I remember that I was so prone to yeast infections when I was pregnant.
This is why I would suggest using totally unheated honey. Even raw honey has been heated enough to make it flow, never over 117 degrees, but that still kills some of the enzymes. Unheated honey, though, has never been heated past the temperature of the hive. It's loaded with enzymes and good bacteria and is a true superfood that will kick bacteria butt. Unheated honey still has the propolis, too, which is so good for fighting bad bacteria.

You might have to ask for it, but you can usually get some kind of unheated honey ordered at the health food store. It's not cheap, but I don't think it will cause the problems you're concerned about. You can make it last a long time if you use it as a supplement, and regular raw honey for everything else.

#23 of 328 Old 07-20-2008, 11:40 PM

We use a brand called "Apitherapy", which is totally unheated. It isn't cheap. I think it comes from Vermont. It's quite good.
#24 of 328 Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
This is why I would suggest using totally unheated honey. Even raw honey has been heated enough to make it flow, never over 117 degrees, but that still kills some of the enzymes. Unheated honey, though, has never been heated past the temperature of the hive. It's loaded with enzymes and good bacteria and is a true superfood that will kick bacteria butt. Unheated honey still has the propolis, too, which is so good for fighting bad bacteria.

You might have to ask for it, but you can usually get some kind of unheated honey ordered at the health food store. It's not cheap, but I don't think it will cause the problems you're concerned about. You can make it last a long time if you use it as a supplement, and regular raw honey for everything else.
Is unheated the same as uncooked?
#25 of 328 Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 AM

I tried it a couple of nights now, and was pleased. I slept better, had lots of dreams, and also I lost a couple of pounds this weekend (I usually gain on the weekend!), so I am very excited! Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention!
#26 of 328 Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

I just got a 60 lb bucket from a local bee keeper, and he says it is raw. Now I have got to find out if it is really raw.
#27 of 328 Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I buy raw honey from our local mom & pop wfs - it's called "Walt's Swarmbustin' Honey." On the label it says, "TOTALLY RAW - Unheated, unstrained honey containing bee pollen, propolis, beeswax, and possibly unavoidable bee parts."

It's $11.99 for 3 lbs. I use it in my tea, probably defeats the purpose, huh? Maybe I'll just buy cheaper honey for my tea & save the Walt's for before bedtime....

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#28 of 328 Old 07-21-2008, 01:22 PM

I usually get my honey from the farmer's market. But I just picked some up from TJ yesterday - creamed honey, unfiltered, uncooked.

I haven't been sleeping that well the last week or so. I tried taking the honey, but it didn't seem to help. Still not very restful sleep. I took it right before bed. Are you guys taking it right before bed or a couple hours before?
#29 of 328 Old 07-21-2008, 01:30 PM

mamaMAMAma, I take mine right before bed...did you try to eliminate any light sources before sleeping? I even tried to stifle my bedside clock. I am not used to sleeping in darkness, but I guess the diet says it is important, so I am trying!
#30 of 328 Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page