Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
What about using Dr. Bronner's Soap?
Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap lists brushing teeth as one of its uses. So I'm guessing you could use it for that -- at least they endorse it for that. I don't know anything about tooth soap so I have no opinion on that or if this would be better or worse. Just mentioning that toothbrushing is listed as a Dr. Bronner's use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
What about using Dr. Bronner's Soap?
Yeah, Dr B's works but it isn't as pleasant to brush with as Tooth Soap.

t

"The opposite of a lie is not necessarily the truth, but another version of the lie." ~ Cameron Day
#33 of 47 Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemango View Post
Huh. Never heard of this before. What does the soap do, then, that brushing wiht a dry brush or with water wouldn't? What is the purpose of toothpaste anyway? Can you get off plaque with only the brush, or do you need an abrasive agent of some kind?

Scratching my head here. But willing to give it a try!
I think it's a case of soap helping to move the particles away like washing your hands with soap and water vs. just water...really hot water can kill germs without soap, but I don't think you could subject your teeth to that!

Also, brushing too hard (relying on just your bristles or using abrasive cleaners every time) can do serious damage to your gums.

I guess I'm not advocating tooth soap (although we are really happy with it) so much as I'm excited that TF and our avoidance of glycerin were able to stop decay for my 5 yo. (it's also nice to avoid the prescribed flouride...)
#34 of 47 Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 AM

I should not have waited so long, but I wanted to update anyone interested in our tooth paste. It is working out wonderfully! Previous to this mix I was brushing with baking soda about every other time and now I just use this. I like it a lot. It's not too abrasive (as I found the pure baking soda to be), the flavor is certainly better and the consistency is the same as commercial tooth paste, which makes it easier to use. I'm very happy with it.
I haven't gotten to the mouthwash yet because they don't sell hard liqour in the grocery store and I don't even know where a liqour store is here LOL. In case anyone's interested I'll let you know when I get it made how I like it.
#35 of 47 Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 AM

Thanks for sharing! I'd been wondering how it was working out. I think I'll make this up. I've needed something that would work for the kids, who did NOT like my homemade toothsoap!
#36 of 47 Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM

I make toothsoap with coconut oil, pascalite clay (I prefer this to baking soda, and it has hte added benefit of minerals) myrrh and honey. We love it!

And yes, REAL honey is FINE on teeth.
#37 of 47 Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM

firefaery - is the myrrh as an essential oil?

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#38 of 47 Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 PM

I have used both an essential oil and a resin.
#39 of 47 Old 08-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessKristie View Post
I'm making some soap tonight! After reading this thread I started researching natural dental care and checked out the toothsoap website. I couldn't find any soap without glycerin in it, so I decided to make some.
The recipe I'm using:
2T coconut oil
3T baking soda
10 Drops peppermint oil (I'm using 1/2 peppermint and 1/2 vanilla for less strenth)
a small dallop of honey

To this recipe I'm also adding 4 crushed up calcium carbonate pills, a total of 2,000 mg. I looked around and a lot of recipes had that in them so I'm borrowing that and hoping it helps.

I'm also making some mouthwash!
The recipe:
1/4C rum or vodka
1/2C distilled water
1/4t honey
1/4t ground cinnamon
1/2t ground cloves

I'll let everyone know how they turn out!
Do you just store the paste in a glass contair and dip he brush in? I am excited to try that mouthwash recipe as well!

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#40 of 47 Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 PM

I put the toothpaste in a little dish that is meant for carry-along baby food. It's essentially like a little tupperware bowl that holds one cup. I use a little baby spoon to get it on my toothbrush, but you could easily just dip your brush in and use it like that. I ended up using about 1/2T of organic peppermint flavoring and it has a light taste. If I were making it for children I would use more honey. I gave it a nice dallop, maybe a teaspoon and a half and it's still not sweet, just middle of the road.
#41 of 47 Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 PM

I wonder if they will co-op this stuff??
#42 of 47 Old 08-22-2008, 03:52 AM

i was using tooth soap for awhile, but my teeth got so dingy. any ideas on whitening? is that what the tooth soap peoples brightener is for? it's made of calcium, magnesium and baking soda. i hear talk of too much baking soda being bad for your teeth- is it?

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#43 of 47 Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
i was using tooth soap for awhile, but my teeth got so dingy. any ideas on whitening? is that what the tooth soap peoples brightener is for? it's made of calcium, magnesium and baking soda. i hear talk of too much baking soda being bad for your teeth- is it?
Baking soda is really abrasive to your teeth and gums - the Tooth Soap company recommends that you only use it once a week.
#44 of 47 Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 AM

I love toothsoap. I have yet to find a flavor anyone in my family will use. I have not tried a citrus one. My two balked at the swish. Sigh. Next time they have a sale I will check it out. Thank you for sharing your success story.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#45 of 47 Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM

I have been oil pulling for years with great success. I find pulling with coconut oil makes a HUGE difference in whiteness.
#46 of 47 Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM

Cool!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#47 of 47 Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I have been oil pulling for years with great success. I find pulling with coconut oil makes a HUGE difference in whiteness.
After reading (lurking) this thread for the last few days, I decided to do some research online about Tooth Soap. Somewhere along the way, I came across a mention of oil pulling, so I researched it, too. And decided to give it a try. The first day I used coconut oil, because it was all I had, but then I got some expeller pressed sesame oil and tried that. I've only been doing it for two days, but my teeth are noticibly whiter and I'm hoping to see other benefits that have been listed in my research.

So as not to hijack this thread, I'm going to start an OP thread and maybe you can tell me about your experiences with this.

Also, I bought a bar of Kiss My Face Olive oil soap to use as tooth soap until I can get real toothsoap. I saw this was recommended, and I really like the way my teeth feel after brushing with it. And it doesn't really taste so bad, either!

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page