grass-fed milk that's pasteurized - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-30-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone know if it's possible to get grass-fed milk that is pasteurized, but not homogenized. The reason I'm wondering is that we buy a lot of grass-fed butter that is pasteurized and it is way cheaper than raw butter. I thought it might work the same for milk. We also buy raw milk which is expensive, and when I use it to cook with I feel like I'm wasting its rawness. So I thought if I could get cheaper grass-fed milk that is pasteurized I could use that for cooking. I just thought since there seem to be so many options for grassfed butter and cheese raw or pasteurized that maybe there might be something like that for milk. I don't want to use conventional grain-fed milk even if it unhomogenized. so I was just wondering.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#2 of 16 Old 07-30-2008, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you see local milk in glass bottles at a health food store near you, call the farm and ask how their cows are fed. I found a dairy near us that sells past. grass fed milk. I go out of our way to buy raw for the added health benefits (or I did, before realzing that ds may be allergic ) but it is often less expensive to buy it past.
#3 of 16 Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 PM

Yes, we get vat-pastuerized, non-homogenized grass-fed, whole milk. This is what I buy: http://www.farmersallnaturalcreamery.com/ I think it is mainly distributed in the midwest. The label on the bottle says grass-fed, though in the winter they for sure are on hay rather than fresh grass. I don't know if they are given supplemental grains or not.

ETA: This website is from the same place, it appears to be a little more up-to-date: http://www.kalonaorganics.com/
#4 of 16 Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 PM

I think a local dairy here (Norris) does that. But as I recall, their milk costs just as much as I pay for raw. I think Organic Valley is at least partially pastured and they do have a non-homogenized version but that might not be quite what you're looking for.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 16 Old 07-30-2008, 11:42 PM

YES, we have that here...it was my transition to raw milk...it is pastuerized, but not homogenized....but it wouldnt really work for you, since it costs more than what i pay for raw...traderspoint creamery..they have a website...

CPST
#6 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 12:43 AM

Our 'big' local grass-fed dairy distributes their gently pasteurized milk around here widely in stores, but you have to get the raw milk directly from them. It is labelled "pet food only" due to state laws (we're in FL). The raw is only slightly more $$. We get his store-bought creamtop milk when I can't pick up real raw milk, either from him at the weekly farmer' mkt or from a family with a very small herd of Jersey cows 30 miles south.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#7 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 AM

I purchase this when I run out of raw milk (I only get a drop-off 1x/mo). It tastes quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
ETA: This website is from the same place, it appears to be a little more up-to-date: http://www.kalonaorganics.com/
#8 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 01:28 AM

nak

i just looked at the Organic Valley website and it looks like the milk avail here in oregon is pastured (each region has a profile about the farms that produce that region's milk)

but the non-homogenized OV milk at the grocery store is $1 more/gal than the raw i get

i've also gotten noris dairy milk in the past (mentioned in a previous post) but it's $2 more/gal

so check into prices; your raw may be a good deal
#9 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like my best bet may just to go with the raw milk. At whole foods they have Organic Pastures raw milk for 7.49/half-gallon. And then they have Clarevale farms which is like 5.50-something/quart. I don't really like to drink milk though, but I always want to have some around for cooking and stuff. But I really hate to buy it and have it go sour before I get to use it, you know. I wish I knew of a local farm that was selling raw milk or even just grass-fed pasteurized milk. I drove past a farm today while driving my husband to work and it had holstein cows grazing away. I'm going to see if they sell their milk directly to the public. I mean they sure looked like happy grass-fed cows.

#10 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 02:20 AM

junipermuse, it sounds like you must be in CA since you are seeing Claravale milk in the store. Claravale milk has a $1.50 bottle deposit so the price per quart is more like $4 (depending on where you buy it).

Claravale is not 100% grass fed but we like it a lot more than OP milk. We also use Straus milk for cooking; it's a lot cheaper and I think the cows' lifestyle is similar to Claravale. They get some pasture and some grain.
#11 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi View Post
junipermuse, it sounds like you must be in CA since you are seeing Claravale milk in the store. Claravale milk includes a $1.50 bottle deposit so the price per quart is more like $4 (depending on where you buy it).

Claravale is not 100% grass fed but we like it a lot more than OP milk. We also use Straus milk for cooking; it's a lot cheaper and I think the cows' lifestyle is similar to Claravale. They get some pasture and some grain.
Yes, we actually just moved to Marin from So Cal. Though we could get the Claravale milk there as well. Can you return the bottles to Whole foods for the deposit? Does Straus have a website. I should look and see. I definitely can get the strauss milk at our Whole Foods. This week I decided I couldn't afford raw cream so I bought the strauss pasteurized cream. I would be very excited if the Strauss milk was even partly grass-fed.

ETA: I found the website and here is where it says that they feed the cows about 80% grass. That sounds pretty good to me. I think I will buy raw milk for using cold in cereal and smoothies and maybe for making yogurt and the strauss pasteurized milk for cooking with.

http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/?id=56

#12 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi View Post
junipermuse, it sounds like you must be in CA since you are seeing Claravale milk in the store. Claravale milk has a $1.50 bottle deposit so the price per quart is more like $4 (depending on where you buy it).

I've really liked Straus milk when I've gotten it in the past.
#13 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
Can you return the bottles to Whole foods for the deposit?
Yes you can return the Claravale and Straus glass bottles to anywhere that sells them. Claravale quarts, Straus quarts and half gallons, and Straus cream bottles all have the same $1.50 deposit.
#14 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM

I buy non-homogenized, grass-fed but pasteurized (law in NJ) milk in glass bottles at Whole Foods. It's $4.49 for a half gallon, and you get $1.50 back when you return the bottle.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#15 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 PM

You could also used the past/non-homo milk to make your yogurt, since you're adding beneficial bacteria back in by making it into yogurt.
#16 of 16 Old 07-31-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadhagh View Post
You could also used the past/non-homo milk to make your yogurt, since you're adding beneficial bacteria back in by making it into yogurt.
I was just thinking that this morning. And since for many yogurts you'd have to heat the milk anyway it would kill off many of the enzymes and stuff in the raw milk anyway. Though I did just buy some of the yogurt cultures from Fermented treasures that don't need to be heated at all (they haven't arrived yet) I may try making those with raw milk. We'll see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page