Smelly Chicken- would you eat it????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just put in the oven a whole chicken that was a bit smelly. That sort of sour smell. I can't stand to waste animal food and thought it might be okay after cooking? The sell by date was the 3rd, but I though the use by date should be a few days after that right? or no? It's roasting now, but the more I think about it the more I'm scared of it. I hate to throw away a whole bird though, that is the sadest thing ever. I've had to do that before (well, just pieces, not a whole) and immediately decided to go veg again to avoid such horribly sad wastes.... What would you do? If it smells okay out of the oven is it okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 12:36 AM

Sometimes my chicken smells a little off when I take it right out of the packaging. Could that be it?

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#3 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'm very sad, but I had to toss the whole thing. The smell was horrible and didn't go away with cooking enough to seem okay. I feel like the date must have been off. I've never had chicken smell like that before and I had just bought it 2 days ago. It was $17.50 too, which sucks, but really I'm just feeling really mournful over the loss of life. I'm barely okay with eating meat as it is. I do it because I get so weak without it that I'm barely functional and I have tons of health trouble as it is. I like to think that the life energy of the animal lives on by nourishing the living. When it gets thrown out though I just feel really sick about it.
#4 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 AM

So sorry mama . Don't beat yourself up too bad, it's not your fault.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#5 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've never had a problem with 2 day old chicken. I've had problems with meat that got "lost" in the back of the fridge, but never after only 2 days.

I think you should see about getting a refund or another chicken from wherever you purchased it, unless you forgot to refridgerate it right away or something like that.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#6 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I think you should see about getting a refund or another chicken from wherever you purchased it, unless you forgot to refridgerate it right away or something like that.
I had forgotten, but that reminds me that DH did say all the meat he had bought stayed in the car for a hour by the time he got home. It still felt cold, so I felt fine about it, but had forgotten until I read your comment. That same day he had bought a pound of ground pork that I had used to make sausage patties with. I'm just experimenting with this, trying to find something that DD will like (not spicy), and it tasted really awful. At the time I had thought that maybe that's why sausage is always so spiced- to cover that flavor, but maybe the meat was off. I don't remember it smelling bad when mixing, but I also didn't stick my nose in it to check.
#7 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I asked a butcher at the grocery store a while back, and the sell-by date is also the use-by date for meat. So it probably was bad.
#8 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I asked a butcher at the grocery store a while back, and the sell-by date is also the use-by date for meat. So it probably was bad.
ITA, I genearlly consider any date on meat to be a "use or freeze by" date rather than a sell by date.
#9 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 PM

you could always bury it to let it decompose and return to the earth if that might make you feel somewhat better
#10 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4fun View Post
you could always bury it to let it decompose and return to the earth if that might make you feel somewhat better
It's too late now, but I wish I had done that. That would have been better.

Thanks everyone for the info. on sell by/ use by dates. I'll know better next time.
#11 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the info. on sell by/ use by dates. I'll know better next time.
Guess I should 'fess up that the reason I asked was that I learned the hard way too.
#12 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 PM

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but my rule of thumb is "trust your nose". If it smells off, it probably is! Nothing like a wonderful case of food poisoning to learn that lesson (she speaks from experience )

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#13 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 PM

Next time take it back and get a refund!!!!!!

And yes, chicken should NEVER smell weird!

Resistance is futile Matey
#14 of 17 Old 08-07-2008, 12:43 AM

This is why I never buy meat in the grocery store anymore. I call myself a grocery-store-meat vegetarian, In the past, I have bought the "natural" health food chicken and it smelled bad after two days, just like you. And you know when chicken smells bad, you just know. I did get my money back once, but it has happened more than once.

I have been told that if it is "just starting" to smell a little off, that you can remove the skin and soak it in some kind of mixture that has vinegar in it (but I don't remember the proportions, but maybe you could google it for next time), and that will help kill off anything that was starting to grow and fester. But personally, I don't take chances with meat, especially meat from the grocery store.

Now, I only buy meat straight from the farm!
#15 of 17 Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensmommy View Post
Sorry it didn't work out for you, but my rule of thumb is "trust your nose". If it smells off, it probably is! Nothing like a wonderful case of food poisoning to learn that lesson (she speaks from experience )
This just reminded me, A few years ago we had family staying. We bought some capicolo at the italian food store for lunch.
I remember everyone saying " This tastes a little funny here try it." ou tof 5 of us 4 got aweful food poisoning. The next day the lunch meat in the fridge was green

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#16 of 17 Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post
This just reminded me, A few years ago we had family staying. We bought some capicolo at the italian food store for lunch.
I remember everyone saying " This tastes a little funny here try it." ou tof 5 of us 4 got aweful food poisoning. The next day the lunch meat in the fridge was green

When I was in 5th grade I started at a new school and my mom sent me with homemade sandwiches. I kept coming home with a stomach ache the first days of school and my mom would say I'm just upset and anxious about being in a new school. The next day there was rampant mold all over the bread! :
#17 of 17 Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
I have been told that if it is "just starting" to smell a little off, that you can remove the skin and soak it in some kind of mixture that has vinegar in it (but I don't remember the proportions, but maybe you could google it for next time), and that will help kill off anything that was starting to grow and fester. But personally, I don't take chances with meat, especially meat from the grocery store.

Now, I only buy meat straight from the farm!
We rinse our chicken (and fish) with either vinegar or lemon juice. I just dump it straight on/around the chicken. For a whole bird, I rinse with water first, then vinegar/lemon juice. I do the vinegar part over a bowl in the sink. Make sure to get the insides. Then I let some water run in the bowl and let it sit a while while I'm preparing the herbs, spice rub, and veggies. I turn it over once or twice. I then rinse well and pat dry. (I sometimes forget the drying part, but it does make the oils and spices stick so much better.)

I can deal with touching meat SO much better when I buy it from a local source.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

User Tag List