Please comment on Susun Weed letter titled "Candida is a helper. It is keeping you healthy!" - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
Speaking of, I think mine has stopped reproducing. Someone told me they go through phases of growth and kinda pauses. Is there a way for me to check which mine is doing? I used fresh fruit in one of the brews and although it tasted great, it didn't taste as "brewy". Is that a quirk of water kefir?
We use the double brew process. We brew it the first time with just the grains and sugar water (and about half the time we use ginger juice, too, because it seems to help get the grains more balanced, and mine are not quite balanced lately). Then we strain out the grains and add fruit or more ginger (and usually a little more agave with the ginger) and brew again. I'm not sure if adding the fruit for the second brew makes less "brewy" or not, as I don't usually taste it after the first. The few times I have, it's not so different tasting, just less flavorful.

As for not reproducing, I'm not really sure. I've had trouble with that as well. Someone suggested it was the agave, but they used reproduce even with the agave. Here are the variables I suspect for mine.

* gave away too many grains, so I didn't have enough to keep them happy, and feeling secure as a colony (I recently heard about biofilms, and kefir is one, and how they have to reach a critical mass of sorts in order to be, so I'm sure they need a certain amount to be happy)
* didn't change the water often enough over this past winter
* wasn't using enough agave per batch, so they weren't getting enough food

That's my theory anyway. We'll see how it's born out with my new batch of grains that a friend gave me (this is my third batch - number 2 is still brewing, but not growing).

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 PM
 
WuWei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the moment
Posts: 11,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
I now use agave nectar.
This was posted on Kefir_making yahoogroup regarding different sugars to feed the water kefir:

Quote:
I have been curious about how to get my crystals to grow bigger and, I guess faster, mine have grown ever so slowly and are only very seldom as large as, say a centimeter long.

Below are the results I had experimenting to figure out how to get my crystals to grow.

I used 6 half pint jars nearly filled with well water to which I added a tablespoon of organic evaporated cane sugar and a sixteenth
of a teaspoon of himalyan sea salt. To each of five I added 1/4 tsp of one of the following: rapadura, sucanat, molasses, blue agave
necter and maple syrup. The sixth container was a control with just the evaporated cane in it.

To each I added 10 grams of water kefir crystals. After 72 hours fermenting at 60F/15.5C this is what the water crystals in each
container weighed:

Rapadura - 19 grams
Sucanat - 21 grams
Molasses - 20 grams
Blue Agave Nectar - 11 grams
Maple Syrup - 11 grams
Plain - 11 grams

So. Now I guess I know what I need to add to make things grow!

I should note that on a previous occasion a few weeks back I tried adding molasses at a much higher concentration and it damaged those particular grains beyond redemption...had to throw them out.

Gayle
WI/USA
Dom, the Kefir King, suggested doing the experiment over time. Apparently, he "learned the hard way with too much molasses. It can also be problematic using too much concentration of dry and reconstituted pure unrefined sugar cane juice types. I think it may well be the same with undiluted pure fresh sugar cane juice."
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kefir_making/


Pat

I have a blog.
WuWei is offline  
Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for that information. Now I guess I know what to do to get them to grow more.

I still think my list of "suspects" is a good one. My second batch grains were growing, although slowly, and then about a year ago stopped growing at all, and then started shrinking (I've stopped that, though).

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM
 
Calm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Illusion
Posts: 3,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, stupid question time... I add three tablespoons of sugar for one litre brew. That seems an awful lot of sugar and it is the typical amount for water kefir. What happens to the sugar, is it chemically altered during the brewing?

I'm not much of a kefir queen, I just kinda brew it and drink it.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Calm is offline  
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM
 
Calm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Illusion
Posts: 3,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry I haven't answered some questions, I'm dashing in quickly and selfishly with my question... :

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Calm is offline  
Old 09-01-2008, 11:41 PM
 
suzukiaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Calm, I'm in Melbourne. What a great city! Where are you?

Last night, I told my son a bedtime story about my village (what a dreamer I am!). It was about a mama who just gave birth. She had no problems with breastfeeding because the women in her village taught her how. The mother didn't worry about mercury toxicity in her newborn (she didn't have any amalgams), and she didn't worry about her baby's gut flora or candida overgrowth. Oh, and the mom ate all organic, local foods and didn't have any fights with her husband about the cost of those foods because they were growing in the wild...they were free! And everyone went to bed on time, because when the sun set, so did the people...including the children.

Of course my husband added to my story that someone got eaten by a bear that night...I had some words for him afterwards.
suzukiaustin is offline  
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 PM
 
WuWei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the moment
Posts: 11,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
Ok, stupid question time... I add three tablespoons of sugar for one litre brew. That seems an awful lot of sugar and it is the typical amount for water kefir. What happens to the sugar, is it chemically altered during the brewing?
My understanding is that the beneficial yeast and friendly bacteria in the kefir culture consume most of the sugar, converting it to alcohol.


Pat

I have a blog.
WuWei is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 03:27 PM
 
Leilalu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 7,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
Calm, I'm in Melbourne. What a great city! Where are you?

Last night, I told my son a bedtime story about my village (what a dreamer I am!). It was about a mama who just gave birth. She had no problems with breastfeeding because the women in her village taught her how. The mother didn't worry about mercury toxicity in her newborn (she didn't have any amalgams), and she didn't worry about her baby's gut flora or candida overgrowth. Oh, and the mom ate all organic, local foods and didn't have any fights with her husband about the cost of those foods because they were growing in the wild...they were free! And everyone went to bed on time, because when the sun set, so did the people...including the children.

Of course my husband added to my story that someone got eaten by a bear that night...I had some words for him afterwards.
cute!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
.
Leilalu is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
Koalamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so happy! I just got off the phone with Susun Weed. Tuesday night is her open phone night that all can talk to her. I asked her what to do for yeast, and she pretty much said all the suggestions in the letter on page 1. She told me that the yeast (particularly my daughters rashes) could be from malnutrition or may not be yeast at all. She suggested cooked food, and especially no raw fruit. It must be cooked. She recommended 2 cups of herbal infusion daily as a replacement of vitamins.

I also asked her for liver herbs since my daughter has a weak liver. She recommended dandelion - all parts. She said that if it is too bitter for my daughter, I should instead put a picture of the plant on her wall or make her a dandelion pillow.

I am going to a specialist to dowse about our yeast or whatever it may be. I will see then what it really is.
Koalamom is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
Koalamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also got an email that was sent to me today from someone from susun weeds place (not personally from her). I am leaving her name out:


You say your daughter has yeasty dry patches. They may not be yeast, and you likely do not need to battle against yeast as if it is invading your both. It is a normal healthy part of our ecosystems. We maintain a healthy balance of yeasts and bacteria by adding to our gut flora. This you are doing wonderfully with the yogurt! Be sure it contains live cultures and is full fat - sounds like you are using your own homemade, the best! In that book, her oldest, she does mention avoiding yeasty foods, though I am not sure she would say the same now. Besides in the the Childbearing Year herbal she says do this only for two weeks and discontinue if no dramatic results from it.

Yes, overall it sounds you are doing wonderful things for you both diet-wise! It can be telling that quitting the sourdough seemed to make you feel worse. I encourage you to continue your homemade ferments - vegetable, dairy, bread. And feed what of those seems good for your little one. This will help both your gut flora, help you process foods better, assimilate those fats you both need, get the minerals you need, and be less reactive to foods. It may be food allergies. You say you feel totally depleted. This too leaves me to think you are not assimilating well, meaning not enough gut flora.

Some of the supplements you are taking may be exacerbating things by killing too much off, allowing other life to overgrow. Again I encourage you to focus on what to add rather than trying to kill things. Those of concern to me are Pau D'Arco, anti-fungal, grapefruit seed extract, and colloidal silver. I am also not sure of the benefit of the vitamin and mineral supplements.

If the home made yogurt feels good you may wish to use it topically as well - on your daughter's dry patches, and your itchy patches - leaving on for 5-10 minutes before wiping off. It does not need to be washed off, certainly not scrubbed or soaped off. For you both perhaps you can stop soap on the areas, get lots of fresh air there, and be careful of contact with cloth washed in possibly irritating detergents. For your daughter a wash on the irritated skin of a tea of Chamomile blossoms, Calendula blossoms, and/or Comfrey leaves.

Let me know if I can help further. I will be curious to hear how you both are doing!

Blessings,
Koalamom is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 11,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I am so happy! I just got off the phone with Susun Weed. Tuesday night is her open phone night that all can talk to her. I asked her what to do for yeast, and she pretty much said all the suggestions in the letter on page 1. She told me that the yeast (particularly my daughters rashes) could be from malnutrition or may not be yeast at all. She suggested cooked food, and especially no raw fruit. It must be cooked. She recommended 2 cups of herbal infusion daily as a replacement of vitamins.

I also asked her for liver herbs since my daughter has a weak liver. She recommended dandelion - all parts. She said that if it is too bitter for my daughter, I should instead put a picture of the plant on her wall or make her a dandelion pillow.
Okay, but to play devil's advocate....an overgrowth of yeast can *cause* malnutrition. I will agree that the rashes are possibly not yeast, but that doens't mean they aren't BECAUSE of yeast-you know?

Also can I tell you that the bolded made me find a newfound love for her? I think you should absolutely do this, I have done things like this before and it has made a HUGE difference. You could also look at the flower essence as a middle road.
Panserbjorne is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 PM
 
WuWei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the moment
Posts: 11,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I should instead put a picture of the plant on her wall or make her a dandelion pillow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Also can I tell you that the bolded made me find a newfound love for her? I think you should absolutely do this, I have done things like this before and it has made a HUGE difference. You could also look at the flower essence as a middle road.

I'm of two minds, and they agree: the bolded suggestion can't hurt! (I totally have seen energy medicine work in ways that are illogical, "unscientific", and miraculous.)


Pat

I have a blog.
WuWei is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 PM
 
BeingMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I am so happy! I just got off the phone with Susun Weed. Tuesday night is her open phone night that all can talk to her. I asked her what to do for yeast, and she pretty much said all the suggestions in the letter on page 1. She told me that the yeast (particularly my daughters rashes) could be from malnutrition or may not be yeast at all. She suggested cooked food, and especially no raw fruit. It must be cooked. She recommended 2 cups of herbal infusion daily as a replacement of vitamins.

I also asked her for liver herbs since my daughter has a weak liver. She recommended dandelion - all parts. She said that if it is too bitter for my daughter, I should instead put a picture of the plant on her wall or make her a dandelion pillow.

I am going to a specialist to dowse about our yeast or whatever it may be. I will see then what it really is.
What exactly is open phone night?
BeingMe is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 AM
 
RootBeerFloat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
She recommended 2 cups of herbal infusion daily as a replacement of vitamins.
Which herbs?
RootBeerFloat is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 12:37 AM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 11,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm guessing nettles? Alfalfa? Rose hips? Red Clover?
Panserbjorne is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
 
Koalamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingMe View Post
What exactly is open phone night?
Tuesday night until late October, 7:30pm to 9:30pm Eastern time, 845-246-8081
Koalamom is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
 
Koalamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeerFloat View Post
Which herbs?
She didnt specifically say, but the best ones IMO are, nettle, oat straw, red clover, and comfrey. They all have amazing nutrients. I once heard that you should try all of them and see which one your body craves. I wouldn't exclude other herbs. You should go with what you need. Like during a cold or a daily boost, rose hipps is great or elderberry, or dandelion as a daily organ support. Susun suggested using every part of dandelion every way. I have an herbal vinegar soaking right now. Red raspberry is another great herb. When making infusions, I like to add a pinch of peppermint or spearmint for flavor.
Oh and I cannot forget chamomile, especially for teething babies.

Something else Susun suggested to me tonight is instead of sweetener in tea, for variation try miso. Sounds crazy, but I will try it.
Koalamom is offline  
Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 PM
 
RootBeerFloat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red clover--the flowers or other parts of the plant? (my hfs only sells the flowers)
RootBeerFloat is offline  
Old 09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 11,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for infusions the flower.
Panserbjorne is offline  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 PM
 
Calm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Illusion
Posts: 3,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, sorry to rain on any parades but I can't help it.
Quote:
She recommended 2 cups of herbal infusion daily as a replacement of vitamins
I totally agree food is better medicine than a pill, however, many vitamins are messed with during heating, as are enzymes. Don't boil them if you are after b group vits and C and enzymes. You can take, instead, capsules filled with rosehip granules. You buy empty capsule shells, and rosehip granules. Fill the capsules and take the equivalent of one teaspoon a day. This is filled with vit C and some other things. I also prefer to take herbs this way, or via a tincture where more of the herb is preserved, not heated into a soup.

Quote:
Some of the supplements you are taking may be exacerbating things by killing too much off, allowing other life to overgrow.
The air we breathe is filled with bacteria and yeast. The food we eat is antibiotic (vinegar, for instance), we are killing stuff off with our food anyway, and repopulating with the air we breathe and every time we put our hand to our mouth! You can't kill "too much off" unless you kill off too much of one thing - which is what antibiotics do. As do corticosteroids. As do the birth control pill. And if you have taken any of those things, then you HAVE to kill off the yeast because there is now an imbalance. See next quote for the next vital piece of the puzzle:

Quote:
They may not be yeast, and you likely do not need to battle against yeast as if it is invading your both. It is a normal healthy part of our ecosystems. We maintain a healthy balance of yeasts and bacteria by adding to our gut flora.
You can't just "add" to the gut flora, this is what is misleading most of America! And why people are getting half-a$$ed results or none at all. If the gut is totally bogged down with yeast and bad bacteria, then WHERE is all this good stuff going to go?

Straight out the poop shoot.

Seriously, until you MAKE ROOM on the colon wall, taking anything to "add" flora is a waste of time.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Calm is offline  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 11,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
True, Calm. For infusions I never recommend heating water past the point where you can submerge your hand, comfortably. I prefer sun infusions anyway. I am pretty confident that I get a good amount of nutrients in our teas. They infuse for about 6 hours in direct sunlight with room temp water.
Panserbjorne is offline  
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM
 
tempestjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread has been an interesting read. When DD1 had severe eczema and seemed to have food allergies to *everything* we took her to a naturopath who was *sure* it was yeast. Well, it wasn't. After we finally got a stool test done, we found out she had a c. difficile infection. We started giving her super-high doses of probiotics (VSL#3) and her skin cleared after 2 weeks.

C. diff. is a pretty nasty little bugger but it did seem to work to overwhelm it with good bacteria. I don't know if perhaps her age or her specific gut set-up made this possible, but when we retested for c. diff it was gone. Over the course of the last year she has gotten to the point where she no longer has any food allergies and even her anaphylactic peanut allergy is gone.

And a slightly off-topic question for the mamas on this thread: is supplementing with the precursors of glutathione (the N-acetyle cysteine, glutamine, and glycine) or glutathione itself cause more mercury to circle your bloodstream (and therefore breastmilk) or does it just help you get rid of what you've got?

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
tempestjewel is offline  
Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM
 
Calm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Illusion
Posts: 3,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Naomi, clostridia is another one that is opportunistic after antibiotics. Acidophillus clears it up, that was probably the probiotic you were one. Acidophillus resides happily with candida but kills clostridia.

This is why people sometimes feel better after taking acidophillus, but then after a couple of weeks, can feel crap again as they only dealt with the clostridia infection.

In the case of your daughter, her leaky gut/allergy cause was perhaps just the clostridia (did you take anything other than acidophillus, btw?), as it will mess with the bowel wall just like yeast will. That's so good she's better now.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Calm is offline  
Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 AM
 
tempestjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
Naomi, clostridia is another one that is opportunistic after antibiotics. Acidophillus clears it up, that was probably the probiotic you were one. Acidophillus resides happily with candida but kills clostridia.

This is why people sometimes feel better after taking acidophillus, but then after a couple of weeks, can feel crap again as they only dealt with the clostridia infection.

In the case of your daughter, her leaky gut/allergy cause was perhaps just the clostridia (did you take anything other than acidophillus, btw?), as it will mess with the bowel wall just like yeast will. That's so good she's better now.
What was weird with us is that she had not been on antibiotics when the c diff showed up. In fact, she didn't have many symptoms of it other then the terrible skin and food intolerances. The bad skin started coming out when my breastmilk changed over to colostrum when I was pg with DD2 and she was still nursing. I often wonder if my breastmilk had protected her to that point and even after the infection started if it had helped keep it from getting bad. She never had the characteristic bad diarrhea.

We had tried OTC probiotics from the healthfood store, then a few types from the ND, but nothing worked. The VSL#3 worked though- it is guranteed 450 billion live strains (both acidophilus and bifidus strains http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/default.asp if anyone is curious) per teaspoon/sachet, and she took 1/2 tsp a day to clear it, and then 1/4 tsp a day to heal her up. She'd had all my homecooked goodness- 24 hour yogurt, kombucha, ferments, etc, and none of it had touched the c. diff. I remember reading into the SCD at one point and she specifically says her diet will not kill off c. diff. because it is more nasty then most clostridia.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
tempestjewel is offline  
Old 09-05-2008, 02:40 PM
 
joybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tempestjewel~

What kind of stool sample did you do for your dd? Was it the regular culture etc that the doc's office can do or did you pay for the CDSA from Genova or another lab?

I'm wondering if the regular stool test that docs do will identify a c. difficile infection.
joybird is offline  
Old 09-05-2008, 09:03 PM
 
tempestjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
Tempestjewel~

What kind of stool sample did you do for your dd? Was it the regular culture etc that the doc's office can do or did you pay for the CDSA from Genova or another lab?

I'm wondering if the regular stool test that docs do will identify a c. difficile infection.
We sent in for a comprehensive stool sample through the ND, I think Diagnos-techs was the lab. We were testing for everything- yeast, parasites, bacteria, immunoglobins, pretty much everything that could be tested for. She was negative for yeast and parasites but positive for both strains of c. diff. My dh changed jobs and we lost our "alternative" healthcare because it is not covered by our new employer : so I went to our mainstream family doctor for a follow up stool test to make sure the c. difficile was gone. So at least our "regular doc" could order the test without issue (and it was covered by our strict insurance). For the comprehensive test it involved taking several samples, but the one with our regular doc I just had to wait till DD gave me a fresh specimen and drove it straight to the hospital lab.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
tempestjewel is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Brisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 6,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a newbie to all of this yeast stuff... just hoping someone can answer a question from way back on the first page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
You need to kill the yeast first. There are many ways to do this. One is fast and painful (die off symptoms hit fast) and that is the bacterium product nystatin. It is not absorbed and therefore prescribed for babies with oral thrush - it is safe. It wipes all those #%##%s out. Then you can repopulate, and they will STICK. Fastest method out there to feeling well.
So, nystatin is over the counter? I did google, but I mostly found websites selling Canadian drugs to Americans (I'm in Canada).

Mercury was mentioned -- how would I know if I have mercury fillings?

Off to read more... I have suspected problems with yeast for a while, and it seems to be flaring up now in the form of thrush and a vaginal yeast infection. Bleh.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Brisen is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 11:25 AM
 
quelindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: On the road to find out
Posts: 3,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, OT, but Calm, your PM box is full.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
quelindo is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 04:32 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
What was weird with us is that she had not been on antibiotics when the c diff showed up. In fact, she didn't have many symptoms of it other then the terrible skin and food intolerances. The bad skin started coming out when my breastmilk changed over to colostrum when I was pg with DD2 and she was still nursing. I often wonder if my breastmilk had protected her to that point and even after the infection started if it had helped keep it from getting bad. She never had the characteristic bad diarrhea.

We had tried OTC probiotics from the healthfood store, then a few types from the ND, but nothing worked. The VSL#3 worked though- it is guranteed 450 billion live strains (both acidophilus and bifidus strains http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/default.asp if anyone is curious) per teaspoon/sachet, and she took 1/2 tsp a day to clear it, and then 1/4 tsp a day to heal her up. She'd had all my homecooked goodness- 24 hour yogurt, kombucha, ferments, etc, and none of it had touched the c. diff. I remember reading into the SCD at one point and she specifically says her diet will not kill off c. diff. because it is more nasty then most clostridia.
I wonder if it was the bifidobacterium in the VSL3 that was the trick? 'Cause ferments don't contain it.

Bifido is the dominent probiotic in the colon (lactobacillus is in the small intestine and numbers only 10% of bifido...yet most think of lactobacillus and l. acidophilus when they think of probiotics). Do you know where C. Diff lives? If it's chiefly the large intestine, then I think this could be the reason.
JaneS is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 04:50 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
I'm a newbie to all of this yeast stuff... just hoping someone can answer a question from way back on the first page



So, nystatin is over the counter? I did google, but I mostly found websites selling Canadian drugs to Americans (I'm in Canada).

Mercury was mentioned -- how would I know if I have mercury fillings?

Off to read more... I have suspected problems with yeast for a while, and it seems to be flaring up now in the form of thrush and a vaginal yeast infection. Bleh.
Nystatin is a prescription drug (at least here in the US).

If you have metal fillings (shiny, silver) in your mouth, then you have mercury in your mouth.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off