Please comment on Susun Weed letter titled "Candida is a helper. It is keeping you healthy!" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 319 Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Just a note, the letter is was not to me, but posted on the susun weed website. I have nothing against anything in the letter)

http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezin..._Mar-02.htm#q2

Hello Susan,

I have just recently discovered your website and am sponging up all your wonderful, informative writing as fast as I can. I've already placed an order for your books and am waiting anxiously for them but meanwhile, I wonder if you can give me some direction is my ongoing battle with candida-albicans.

In a nutshell, after 2 years of antibiotics, which only made my multitude of symptoms worse, and a highly stressful job and lifestyle, I discovered a naturopath who immediately told me I had candida. For the past year I've been on ALOT of naturopathic capsules (very costly) and have changed my eating habits and food choices to all organic, no sugar or caffeine, only
whole grains, very fresh or freshly ground, etc... I've even quit my very stressful job and am seeking freelance work and a more balanced lifestyle. I am married and have a 4 year daughter at home, am 40 years old and fairly fit and active (working to improve my exercise patterns)

The capsules and supplements I take now are:

Zypan - stomach acid
Zymex - slow fix for candida
Drenamin - ? not exactly sure but think it's supposed to sort of lure
candida away from vital organs while we're working on eliminating it?
DHA - brain food
Calcium
Catalyn - vitamin supplement
Garlic - standard capsule

Teas - drink lots of Yerbamate and Paul D'arco loose teas daily with stevia - and have just started using Paul D'arco tea as a douche to try to put out the fires of my yeast infections.

Anyway, I still struggle daily with yeast infections and the cough after eating from not digesting my food (bad gut flora levels-I take Zypan for my digestive needs), and alot of sinus mucus along with various negative emotional effects do you know of other herbals that could help me recover from this faster and less expensively?

Signed, Desperate for health

Subject: Candida is a helper. It is keeping you healthy!

Susun's response:

Oh dear. From my point of view you are doing the worst things in the world to try to help yourself. Let me explain.

Candida overgrowth results from lack of gut flora (killed by antibiotics in your case, but also killed by chlorine in the water, preservatives in food, and essential oils in your environment).

Candida is a helper. It is keeping you healthy! You need it. But not so much of it.

What would convince it to ease off? More gut flora! You need to eat lots of moldy, yeasty, bacteria rich foods like yogurt and sour dough bread and homemade wines and unwashed fruit (for the molds on the skins) and miso and sauerkraut. I know. I know. This doctor told you to avoid all those foods. I can only tell you that I have helped people who have had candida for over a decade, people who have taken all the (expensive) pills, people who have eaten strict diets, people who have done everything they though was right but still weren't healthy and still had symptoms. After 7-10 days on the fermented, moldy, yeasty, bacteria rich diet they are smiling and feeling great!!

My friend Ryan Drum has also treated hundreds of candida cleanse failures. His remedy is the same, only more simple. He has you stir a big spoonful of organic garden soil into a glass of water and drink it daily for a month. Gets those molds, yeasts, bacteria, and fungi back in the gut where they belong. I also see that the stores are selling pills of soil micro organism, so if you are really into pills, you could choose that option.But it is ever so much more fum (and less expensive) to just eat blue cheese, etc.

My suggestions to replace your drugs:
Dandelion root tincture, 20 drops before meals instead of Zypan
Yogurt, etc instead of Zymex
Candida does not get into any organs, it stays in the intestines. So avoid Drenamin
Nourish your brain with whole grains and cooked greens. Avoid soy, and stop taking DHA.
Calcium makes brittle bones. Instead drink nourishing herbal infusions and eat yogurt.
A cup of nettle infusion has 500mg calcium. A cup of yogurt has 450mg of calcium.
There are no vitamins in pills. Vitamins are enzymes produced by living tissues. All pills contain laboratory make synthetics and cause disease. Those who take as little as 500mg of vitamin C a day for a year create blood vessels that look twice their age. Throw away your Catalyn.
Consumer reports found that garlic powder, like you buy in the supermarket had more effect that any garlic capsule on the market. Costs a lot less too. Even fresh garlic works better. Cook with it. Roast it. Eat it on toast. Make it into pesto. Be creative, but throw out the pills.

Instead of Yerbamate which is full of caffeine, try nourishing herbal infusions if nettle or oatstraw or comfrey leaf or red clover. All of them will help your gut. Pau D'arco will kill gut flora. Please stop drinking it. Stevia could also make things worse as it is so sweet. Try to do without it for a while if you could.

If you have a vaginal yeast infection, it is NOT related to candida. Same organism, almost, but with a different lifestyle. First, eat yogurt. Then, put yogurt into your vagina. Do this for at least ten days. If symptoms do not go within a week, you have a bacterial infection, not a yeast infection. If so, you could put a peeled clove of garlic inside, near the cervix for 10-14 days to challenge the bacteria. Be prepared to smell like garlic if you choose this option. But please don't use Pau D'arco or anything else as a douche. Douches cause vaginal infections!!!

So these are my opinions. They are based on my extensive and ongoing research and my work with people over the past 35 years. We are all different and what has helped some others may not help you. But it might

Let me know how it goes for you. Helps me help others.

Green Blessings,

Susun Weed
#2 of 319 Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM

The link doesn't work.
#3 of 319 Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 PM
AJP

I don't have any direct personal experience with this, but what Susun Weed wrote makes a lot of sense to me. I've had friends try candida cleanses and restrictive diets, popping handfuls of herbal pills and whatnot, to no apparent effect. It seems more intuitive to me to take the approach she espouses of loading up on other good flora to out-compete the candida overgrowth and reducing intake of certain things that could be counter-productive (like sugar, caffeine, unfermented soy), rather than just trying to sterilize the body to kill all the candida. The latter seems to me like an invitation to further overgrowth, whether of candida or other organisms that are damaging if they're out of balance. JMO.

There is no secret ingredient.
#4 of 319 Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM

I wonder if it has to be yogurt? I personally can drink a quart or two of water kefir a day if I put my mind to it, but yogurt requires a lot of effort to choke down. About the only way I get any yogurt is if I make a smoothie.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 319 Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 PM

wow thanks so much for posting this it is soo interesting! i had just seen this new nutrionist because i needed more support with my diet and he prescribed pau d'arco which i've been drinking for the last month!!!! i'm shocked i hope that a years worth of trying to get my gut flora back to health hasn't just been ruined by drinking that tea!!! i think what susun says makes so much sense and i'm going to look at what i can do to improve things with her advice. i'm also interested by what she says about vaginal douches because i just read donna gates body ecology and she is in favour of douching. gosh it is so confusing to know what is best! so many people i know have found body ecology to be great but i'm not so sure about it. i'm going to have to get susun weed's books now!

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#6 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 AM

Yup, this is pretty well known info actually. What is also important is that when candida becomes pathological it is because it is WORKING ON YOUR BEHALF to correct an imbalance and the worst thing you can do is suppress it.
#7 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM

Can someone point me to info on what candida is helping fight on the body's behalf? I'm unfortunately ill informed on the subject.
#8 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM

generally too much sugar in the bloodstream. It is often seen for that reason with alarming consistency in pre-diabetic and diabetics. Candida is SUPPOSED to be there-even mainstream medicine understands that. Like anything else in our body it's not there in a vacuum, it has a function. IT is there to help us. Our problem (in general) is that we tend to freak when things get uncomfortable instead of seeing it as a sign that something is not right with our lifestyle. When there is too much sugar in our diets in spills into the bloodstream (especially in the presence of fat....fat is supposed to slow the uptake of sugar...it does that by driving it into the bloodstream and making the uptake into the cells slower) when it sits in the bloodstream candida sees a problem and goes to work.

Anyway there are many resources. Here's one:
http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/articles/candida.html

What this does NOT address is that fact that yeast sequesters mercury so there are MANY reasons why it would proliferate and be difficult to get under control. Mercury interrupts the biotin receptor sites which allow yeast to thrive. So, if there is mercury present it is almost impossible to get rid of yeast. You can supplement biotin which will get it under control....until you stop the biotin. In those situations the answer is getting rid of mercury which will allow you to bring the yeast back to normal levels.

As always there is no ONE answer. You have to understand the individual to understand the road to cure.
#9 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM

Well, I'm confused.

First there's Susan Weed telling us on her website that we need to cook things to get maximum nutrition from them and have adequate amounts of fats in the diet. Her message generally fits in with Sally Fallon and Weston Price.

Then there's Fredericke Patenaude advocating raw food. And telling us that low fat is the answer to candida problems, which would be fine except it seems to be the opposite of Sally Fallon's advice for overall good health.

And the other day I read a comment somewhere that dry lips/skin were a sign of yeast overgrowth but I've also read that it can be a sign of not enough fat in the diet. So if you have dry skin what to do you try - increase your fats and hope to moisturise yourself from the inside, or cut the fats and hope that brings the yeast back into balance which then enables your body to have balanced skin.

Confused.

This is probably one of those things that has no right answer as we are all different but figuring out which ideas are best for me personally (or my sister, or my mother) is really a chore.
#10 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM

FWIW I don't see it as a raw vs cooked debate. I see it as a search for optimal health and I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong. I don't believe that. I don't personally think either one is 100% right. That said, I am in agreement with the candida thing from Patenaude.

As far as the lips question....try them out and see what works! I'd say though since you're asking increase hte fats or decrease the fats and increase biotin.

It all depends on how you view disease and your body. Is this something to be conquered, or is it a message?

Honestly though....there are way more factors at play here either way you lok at it.
#11 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 AM

Eating a bunch of fermented foods sure sounds a lot better to me than the candida diet. It's worth a try.

I did the diet obsessively for about two years and it worked. I noted the biggest change, however, when I introduced dairy kefir. I had been making homemade yogurt up to that point but no other ferments

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#12 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 AM

and not to get too into the spirituality of food, but Amanda makes an interesting point....I think what will work for you will often resonate with you. For me the prospect of adding yogurt or kefir is nauseating. I would have to choke it down daily. I don't know that that would be healing for me on ANY level. However, eating lowfat for a few weeks with a TON of fresh fruit and veggies sounds like heaven. And when I did it, it was wonderful. Nourishing on many levels.

I didn't stay lowfat, and I didn't stay raw after I did it, but I was really a great choice for me. It was also during hte summer that I was called to do it so that makes a difference too. I don't know if I had been experiencing excessive yeast in the middle of winter that I would have done the same thing.

I really think we have intuitive wisdom and if you read ferments and your heart soars () then that's your better path. The one thing she has right without any question from me is that it's not about what you take away, it's about what you add.
#13 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
It was also during hte summer that I was called to do it so that makes a difference too. I don't know if I had been experiencing excessive yeast in the middle of winter that I would have done the same thing.
That's one thing that stuck with me after reading John Douillard's Three Season Diet years ago: some things are good for you at some points in the year and bad during others. Our 365-day season has really thrown our bodies out of whack, because we're eating things in seasons where they flat out wouldn't have been available to our grandmothers. (Kind of like, in The Omnivore's Dilemma, where Joel Salatin of Polyface Farm expressed confusion about someone wanting fresh chickens at a time of year when chickens just aren't being slaughtered.)

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#14 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 AM

I wonder what role hormones play because I have nipple thrush in this pregnancy seemingly out of the blue. I haven't had a problem for years. Now I also have what appears to be yeast rashes on my breasts which I never had before. In line with firefaery's wisdom of considering what resonates with you, I think what I'll do is sunbathe topless on my roof.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#15 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 10:59 AM

and then grease up with coconut oil!!!!
#16 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 01:30 PM

this is an interesting thread, so i'm with you spartz feeling confused about which path to follow on all this. i love the sound of eating raw veges, salads and fruits but i know that my blood sugar would be crashing so much if i did that. i had a green juice for breakfast this morning and an hour later i was in a terrible mood so irritable and shaky cos my blood sugar had dropped. other mornings i've had a raw cream, raw egg, raw butter smoothie and i've ended up feeling really nauseus - so i don't know whats best!! just trying to figure out what is best is the biggest hurdle.

#17 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bluebell, try a breakfast of complex carbs and simple proteins for breakfast. I know for me, a breakfast that is too fatty will make me feel icky all day, but a breakfast of just fruits makes my blood sugar plummet.

A bowl of brown rice and black beans for breakfast (with a little salsa, yum!) keeps me going til lunch time. Or a smoothie made with whole milk, frozen blueberries, a small banana, a dollop of honey, and a tablespoon of almond butter...that seems to work great, too.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#18 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I am loving all of the comments!
This is what I was hoping to get from posting this letter. I am totally confused about which side is better, but I agree with really following your body on what to do. You see I eat really well, but have bad yeast. I have been taking lots of pau d arco for a while and feel like crap. I quit eating my sourdough bread and let my starter sit in the back of the fridge. Just after reading susuns letter, I quit the pau d arco, right away, the yeast seems better. Strange huh? And I got my starter out of the fridge and am making bread today. I have been praying/meditating on what to do and I feel inspired to de-stress and spend for time outside getting dirty (to get e good dose of soil through my pores). I feel like whatever I was doing for the yeast was not working so I have to try something different. I am a bit nervous to get off of the pau d arco that the yeast will get worse, but it wasn't healing it anyway, so what have I got to loose.

Most of all I am concerned for my 16 month old. She has such bad yeast rashes all over, and our naturopath said the yeast was staying in her liver. That is her weak place since she probably inherited my husbands rare liver disorder. So I think I need to strengthen her liver to fully heal her yeast. But here is a question, is the yeast helping her liver some way?
#19 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 PM

I don't have any personal experience with candida, but imo Susun's approach resonates much more with me than any of the other protocols and suggestions I've seen out there. As an extra bonus, you can harvest dandelion roots from your own backyard and make your own tincture making the whole thing even less expensive!
#20 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
bluebell, try a breakfast of complex carbs and simple proteins for breakfast. I know for me, a breakfast that is too fatty will make me feel icky all day, but a breakfast of just fruits makes my blood sugar plummet.

A bowl of brown rice and black beans for breakfast (with a little salsa, yum!) keeps me going til lunch time. Or a smoothie made with whole milk, frozen blueberries, a small banana, a dollop of honey, and a tablespoon of almond butter...that seems to work great, too.
oh i would love to and thanks for the suggestion, but i'm completely grain free. i don't eat any complex carbs/starches because i can't digest them - basically i'm doing gut and pyscology syndrome diet. i really struggle with what to have for breakfast as my blood sugar is still volatile especially in the morning as dd is still night feeding.

#21 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
oh i would love to and thanks for the suggestion, but i'm completely grain free. i don't eat any complex carbs/starches because i can't digest them - basically i'm doing gut and pyscology syndrome diet. i really struggle with what to have for breakfast as my blood sugar is still volatile especially in the morning as dd is still night feeding.
Oh man! Sorry about that! Hmm...I have no idea what I'd do in your case! Do you eat nuts and seeds (not sure if, in your case, these count as grains?)? Complex carbs mixed with protein is the only way to keep my blood sugar normal. If I couldn't eat grains at all, hmm...let me think...fruits and eggs? Cottage cheese and berries with sunflower seeds sprinkled on top? Or even try to forget what foods are typically considered "breakfast foods" and make yourself some grilled salmon and steamed veggies, or some chicken breast and salad?

Good luck with your diet and your blood sugar! That sounds very tough.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#22 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 05:13 PM

feminine_earth - don't be sorry you didn't know! thanks for your help with suggestions. i'm going to look again at the raw food options. i'm still reeling about drinking pau d'arco tea for the past month, feel like i'm going to have to start all over again getting that gut flora back!

#23 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Bluebell, have you tried eggs and fruit? You could even do a custard. Do you think that would work?
#24 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Bluebell, have you tried eggs and fruit? You could even do a custard. Do you think that would work?

yes i've tried the aajonus custard with papaya but that gave my blood sugar a terrible crash, i got really shaky about 1hr later. it is a huge problem, i have raw egg smoothies, with berries, raw cream and butter but it is a bit difficult to get down sometimes! breakfast is a real problem for me and my dd who will only eat a certain gluten free pork sausage. sorry that i've gone off topic.

#25 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Wow, I am loving all of the comments!
This is what I was hoping to get from posting this letter. I am totally confused about which side is better, but I agree with really following your body on what to do. You see I eat really well, but have bad yeast. I have been taking lots of pau d arco for a while and feel like crap. I quit eating my sourdough bread and let my starter sit in the back of the fridge. Just after reading susuns letter, I quit the pau d arco, right away, the yeast seems better. Strange huh? And I got my starter out of the fridge and am making bread today. I have been praying/meditating on what to do and I feel inspired to de-stress and spend for time outside getting dirty (to get e good dose of soil through my pores). I feel like whatever I was doing for the yeast was not working so I have to try something different. I am a bit nervous to get off of the pau d arco that the yeast will get worse, but it wasn't healing it anyway, so what have I got to loose.

Most of all I am concerned for my 16 month old. She has such bad yeast rashes all over, and our naturopath said the yeast was staying in her liver. That is her weak place since she probably inherited my husbands rare liver disorder. So I think I need to strengthen her liver to fully heal her yeast. But here is a question, is the yeast helping her liver some way?
Bluebirdmama1, I cannot thank you enough for this thread. I simply cannot thank you enough! I'm taking my son to his Waldorf playgroup to play in the dirt and with the guinea pigs...and I WON'T wash his hands afterwards!!

And to all whom have responded, thank you, thank you, thank you for your wisdom, experiences, advice...

I LOVE this board!!!! Yay Traditional Foods!!

Of course, I've got a question. If you are breastfeeding/TTC/pregnant and you can't detox from mercury, what do you do about it?
#26 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
Of course, I've got a question. If you are breastfeeding/TTC/pregnant and you can't detox from mercury, what do you do about it?
There are natural ways to remove heavy metal and toxins from your body. Tumeric, clay, and cilantro work. I bet these would remove the metals without going into the breast milk. I just checked out the site www.solutionsie.com, and found they have a product called zeolite. It is supposed to remove heavy metals.
#27 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
and then grease up with coconut oil!!!!
This is starting to sound "R" rated.

#28 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 PM

Bluebell,

I love bacon in the morning. It keeps my blood sugar quite regular for a really long time. I usually have a piece of fruit when I wake up and by the time I'm done cooking the bacon for the kids and my own portion is done, the fruit is out of my stomach.
#29 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
This is starting to sound "R" rated.
well, it COULD be....but it also has the benefit of killing yeast and bacteria!
#30 of 319 Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
There are natural ways to remove heavy metal and toxins from your body. Tumeric, clay, and cilantro work. I bet these would remove the metals without going into the breast milk. I just checked out the site www.solutionsie.com, and found they have a product called zeolite. It is supposed to remove heavy metals.
They all still do go into breastmilk. You can look into glutathione which would protect the breastmilk by opening detox pathways.

I did use zeolite while pg and breastfeeding, but used glutathione as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page