Food-grade diatomaceous earth - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 161 Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Firefaery, do you take MSM and DE, or only MSM? Are you saying that DE is caustic and reduces breastmilk supply, or are you talking about oregano oil?
Oregano oil is DISASTER for supply----- do not take oregano oil while BF. Even eating a lot of oregano can noticably diminish supply.

For everyone- I'm having a very hard time hiding the DE for my kids. They pick up on it in everything (and then won't consume it). Besides yogurt, what do ya'll use for younger kids (ages 6 and almost 3)?

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#62 of 161 Old 10-24-2008, 04:18 PM

How about putting it in homemade ice cream?
#63 of 161 Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
How about putting it in homemade ice cream?
I'll try it, but we don't eat ice cream (even though it's homemade and raw good stuff!) everyday (though I bet my kids would approve of a trial...)

Any other suggestions?

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#64 of 161 Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Tell them they can have a soda pop if they'll mix DE into it
#65 of 161 Old 10-31-2008, 03:09 PM

Is it safe to take food grade DE as a supplement during pregnancy?

Thanks,
HH

Mama to Quinn (3/09) and partner to James. Expecting #2 and planning a
#66 of 161 Old 11-01-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyhaze View Post
Is it safe to take food grade DE as a supplement during pregnancy?

Thanks,
HH
I've stopped taking it because it lowers cholesterol, and cholesterol is supposed to be high during pregnancy in order to help the baby get good fats for development. I figured it's best not to interfere.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#67 of 161 Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 AM

bumping this back up because my dad brought us the DE (finally )..i have taken 1 tbsp tonight. i wonder if DE is good for candida too.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#68 of 161 Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM

i took 1 tbsp last night and 1 tbsp this morning. i had quite a bit of gurgling in my gut for some time and felt like i had lumps of lead in me but that has passed. i think it might be because i didn't drink enough water yesterday. i did wake up with phlegm in my lungs, which cleared out pretty quick. i think that was because of the DE though because i am not getting sick and it's very rare for me to have phlegm or a cough.

is anyone else still taking DE?

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#69 of 161 Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 PM

I'm still taking it. Did you make sure to completely dissolve it in a big cup of water?
#70 of 161 Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 PM

last night when i took it, i used a small glass of water and stopped and stirred to keep it suspended in the water. then i followed with a big glass of plain water. this morning i took it in a smoothie.

#71 of 161 Old 01-03-2009, 01:58 PM

went from feeling backed up to suddenly becoming much more regular. i have been fairly regular since switching from SAD to whole foods a couple years ago so i didn't know one could be even more regular!

#72 of 161 Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Anyone buy capsules and fill them with DE? Just still trying to figure it out for my kids. My DS takes probiotics, etc in capsules, so maybe this would work. I'd definitely like it better that way also!

Anyone else?

#73 of 161 Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM

i think taking the DE in capsules would be just fine. my dh actually suggested this to me last night. i do want to get a capsule filling machine but for other reasons. somehow the DE actually doesn't bother me.

#74 of 161 Old 02-15-2009, 01:55 PM

#75 of 161 Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 PM

We noticed after about a week. I continued for another week just to be sure. I have a home daycare and one of the little ones must have it because we seem to get it every 4 to 6 months. I've added it to our whole grains and legumes to keep moths out. Hopefully that's enough to keep the pinworms away too.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#76 of 161 Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
We noticed after about a week.
What dosage? I took 3 Tbsp per day (before breakfast, dissolved in a cup of water) for several weeks and never noticed any difference except maybe making my nails harder.
#77 of 161 Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
What dosage? I took 3 Tbsp per day (before breakfast, dissolved in a cup of water) for several weeks and never noticed any difference except maybe making my nails harder.
you still had pinworms after several weeks? were you reinfecting yourselves? I fill capsules and we took 3 size "0" capsules before every meal.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#78 of 161 Old 02-16-2009, 05:37 PM

No, I don't think we had pinworms. I was doing a general cleanse because I have read that parasitic infections often go undetected for years. Many folks say they pass visible parasites and that's how they know the DE is "working." I just never did.
#79 of 161 Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think we had pinworms. I was doing a general cleanse because I have read that parasitic infections often go undetected for years. Many folks say they pass visible parasites and that's how they know the DE is "working." I just never did.
Ahhh, gotcha. We were fighting pinworms and they are so tiny that the DE probably completely grinds them up. They don't have an exo-skelleton for you to see pass out of your body. I can see it when the earwigs that invade my son's room have been killed by DE because I see their empty husks afterward....but worms don't have husks. I knew the pinworms were gone because I no longer felt them crawling around my anus at night and I no longer found eggs around my anus in the mornings... BLECH!!!

#80 of 161 Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 PM

I didn't know the eggs were visible; that's good to know in case our kids have issues down the road. I have read that they're easily transferable, especially among children in school and such. Anyway - I think we did have those symptoms a few years ago, and Reece's Pinworm medication seemed to do the trick. Again, we never saw anything, but that nighttime itching went away

That's pretty amazing about DE killing bugs! Do you just dust the floor, or how does that work?
#81 of 161 Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I didn't know the eggs were visible; that's good to know in case our kids have issues down the road. I have read that they're easily transferable, especially among children in school and such. Anyway - I think we did have those symptoms a few years ago, and Reece's Pinworm medication seemed to do the trick. Again, we never saw anything, but that nighttime itching went away

That's pretty amazing about DE killing bugs! Do you just dust the floor, or how does that work?
They come in under the baseboards in his room so I keep a line of DE right up against the baseboards.

#82 of 161 Old 05-02-2009, 03:23 PM

How's everyone doing on DE?
#83 of 161 Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 AM

can i bump this??

i think my baby has pinworms she has been so cranky lately and wiggly and she just had a BM and i SAW a worm in it all moving and YUCK. im freaked out.
im going to go get some Food grade DE and make everyone in mt family take it.
uck..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#84 of 161 Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 AM

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#85 of 161 Old 01-19-2010, 12:53 PM

bumpitty bump bumpo

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#86 of 161 Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 AM

I started yesterday with the FGDE, about 2tbs in a morning smoothie, and then in a cup of OJ (fresh) last night.

I was woken up this morning @ 6 30 by it, a few trips to the bathroom and I feel pretty good. I've also read about using fresh pineapple for parasites I think I'm going to ad this to my diet and see how it goes.

I don't have a juicer does any one know if just making it into a smoothiewith other ingredients, will be OK???? I can't just EAT a whole pineapple, after a few slices my lips gums and teeth get weird feeling.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#87 of 161 Old 02-20-2010, 12:02 AM

Wow this was a great thread. I wonder how all of you did on this. I just found out we have parasites but of the protozoan nature and have been wondering if DE can take care of protozoa parasites. Anyone know?
#88 of 161 Old 02-20-2010, 12:29 AM

moon mountain mama: im not sure but it cant hurt! we have all been taking it and the health benefits seem to be many.
my middle daughter has/had a large cyst on her head. it was sunken in her soft spot at birth and as it closed it pushed up and seemed to be getting larger. it was very noticeable..and i was sure that it would eventually have to be removed. it would have been cosmetic because the dr's deemed it to be completely safe. we started taking the DE because i was concerned that my smallest daughter had pinworms. she expelled a wriggling worm one day and it freaked me right out...she had been restless at night, screaming and sticking her fingers in her bum (TMI) a lot. after a few days of using it (in smoothies and in water) my littlest one stopped complaining of wriggly bum and my daughters bump started to get smaller. it is now barely noticeable. im am 100% sure it was to do with the DE. there is no other explanation for it.

we all still take it, not only is it good for parasites, its very high in minerals and silica which we are all likely low in..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#89 of 161 Old 02-20-2010, 02:20 PM

I'm wondering if any of you had any resolution whether or not it was safe to take it with a leaky gut or at least a compromised possibly permeable intestinal wall?
#90 of 161 Old 02-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Here's the WAPF article written by Kaayla Daniel PhD and Galen Knight PhD on using DE for chelating mercury:

Mad As a Hatter
How to Avoid Toxic Metals and Clear Them from the Body

http://www.westonaprice.org/Mad-As-a-Hatter.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page