Food-grade diatomaceous earth - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 161 Old 02-22-2010, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does anyone take Red Lake Earth de from kamloops? I've tried the white stuff at a friend's house and it was fine to drink in water but I am reluctant to even try the grittier stuff. I have tons of it for my animals so I should just eat it too.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#92 of 161 Old 02-25-2010, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We are joing you all got our DE today and started using it. I hope to notice an improvement in our overall health so I am crossing my fingers. Only problem is my hubby is very resistant to try any of my crazy cures and I think he may benefit the most from it. Always saying he has a tape worm lol.
#93 of 161 Old 02-27-2010, 01:58 AM

This is definitely very interesting to me. I use DE for my dairy cow... Really I ought to be using it for all my animals. I assume it's pretty easy to get cats and dogs to eat it. My question is... How can you get kids to consume it? Living on a farm, we are almost in constant contact with vectors for parasite transmission. I've had issues with my son in the past(pin worms), and we've always used pyrantel pamoate. But I would really rather take care of it naturally. Also, maintenance dosing so that it isn't a case of waiting for all those yucky symptoms to show up(my poor baby!). And if he has had them(has them?) chances are the whole family does. I've concocted my own worming capsules using the three biggies(clove, black walnut, wormwood+other lesser knowns), but I'm not comfortable giving it to the kids, nor do I want to be taking such strong herbs on a daily basis forever. So... Suggestions for getting FGDE into an almost 6yo and almost 3yo. Mix it with a spoonful of jam? Also, would I start at an initial higher dose with young ones, or just stick with the consistent recommended dose?
#94 of 161 Old 02-27-2010, 02:06 AM

I am not sure on the dose question but I have been succesful on mixing with yogurt and juice and my kids are pretty picky. It really does not have a taste just a very chalky texture. Blah!! But is standable I guess. I give my kids 1/2 tablespoon.

I seem to be having the flu like symptoms on my second day my tummy is pretty twisted today. And more then normal bathroom trips. So I guess it is working.
#95 of 161 Old 02-27-2010, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Loving this thread!! DE is sooooo cool!! I wanna get some too!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#96 of 161 Old 02-27-2010, 02:15 AM

Check around the feed stores if you have any or try this link this is how I found ours http://www.perma-guard.com/distributors.html

I was actually looking for more naural ways to keep bugs out of a garden and fruit tree and came accross this stuff and was very interested so I decided to get the 50# bag to use around the house, yard, and tummy. You can also buy some from ebay 1# I think for aroun $7.

I am just trying to get use to the idea that it is a bug killer to...I have looked at the bag a million times just to make sure it is the right stuff lol.
#97 of 161 Old 02-27-2010, 02:16 AM

I'll try the yogurt... It seems right, hiding the white in the white. I really want to start now, but we are all battling a pretty heinous cold. Maybe is a few days. I read the parasite testimonial from the fossil shell flour site... Good grief, that was GROSS but SO COOL as well. I'd really love/hate to see all that going on. I've got a very bright and medically minded son, and I can imagine that he would be happy to see the results of the "bad gut worms" dying. I suppose that it all part of it too, feeling psychologically better about it all. Like they aren't sucking away your nutrients, so your brain is working better, so you can focus on energetically ridding yourself of parasites, so you feel better to focus more on health. Closure, I guess. I want that. To KNOW they are gone.
#98 of 161 Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 AM

If you mix it in water it will turn the water brownish kinda like dirty water.

I am one that has a goriphobia of bugs so I will not be "looking" I will trust the results when my body feels better. lol

My daughter has had a bad tummy bug the lat week I thought it would help but then I read somewhere a review that it makes it worse this was after the fact I had given her some so she had a rough night not sure if thats why or not but I will hold off with her until she is feeling better.
#99 of 161 Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
does anyone take Red Lake Earth de from kamloops? I've tried the white stuff at a friend's house and it was fine to drink in water but I am reluctant to even try the grittier stuff. I have tons of it for my animals so I should just eat it too.
I had NEVER heard or seen of this red lake variety until you posted about it, pretty cool, please keep us posted about it! Maybe you could put it in the coffee grinder to get it more powdery and less gritty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjamieof2 View Post
We are joing you all got our DE today and started using it. I hope to notice an improvement in our overall health so I am crossing my fingers. Only problem is my hubby is very resistant to try any of my crazy cures and I think he may benefit the most from it. Always saying he has a tape worm lol.
Well, I also convinced a few guy friends to take this with me, and I can tell you wat they told me and you can tell hubby....lol.... it makes you go poo, apparently guys LOVE to poo,(or at least all the ones I know) AND it has certain, um... male veritility...um side effects???? If this is too ambiguous, please PM me for more details as i don't think i can post that any diff. without raising eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post
This is definitely very interesting to me. I use DE for my dairy cow... Really I ought to be using it for all my animals. I assume it's pretty easy to get cats and dogs to eat it. My question is... How can you get kids to consume it? Living on a farm, we are almost in constant contact with vectors for parasite transmission. I've had issues with my son in the past(pin worms), and we've always used pyrantel pamoate. But I would really rather take care of it naturally. Also, maintenance dosing so that it isn't a case of waiting for all those yucky symptoms to show up(my poor baby!). And if he has had them(has them?) chances are the whole family does. I've concocted my own worming capsules using the three biggies(clove, black walnut, wormwood+other lesser knowns), but I'm not comfortable giving it to the kids, nor do I want to be taking such strong herbs on a daily basis forever. So... Suggestions for getting FGDE into an almost 6yo and almost 3yo. Mix it with a spoonful of jam? Also, would I start at an initial higher dose with young ones, or just stick with the consistent recommended dose?
I WOULD give this regularly if I were still on my horse/pig farm.... I DID have problems that I treated with the same chemical and it wasn't great.... I like the DE in the jam idea I also give it to me and mine, including my parrots in smoothies.... My son is 8yrs old, and he takes his DE GREAT!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#100 of 161 Old 03-05-2010, 01:40 AM

Danielle!

Here is my favorite siggie again... thank you I SO needed to hear Dr. Seuss' words in the past few weeks.

(bumping up this thread for today's question on parasites)
#101 of 161 Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 AM

Well I can for sure say that DE does work to make more bowel movements. As I said before I am not investigating...lol

But I slacked for a few days feel totally constipated and now on top of it I have a head cold . So I know your over all health stems from your gut and I wonder if from not doing the job till it was done has caused me to get sick? Who knows but I started again tonight.

It also does work on bugs
#102 of 161 Old 03-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Danielle!

Here is my favorite siggie again... thank you I SO needed to hear Dr. Seuss' words in the past few weeks.

(bumping up this thread for today's question on parasites)

I'm glad you like it!!!!!!!

FYI, Dr. Suess and my DS share the same B-day, March second!!!!
My DS just turned 8yrs old!!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#103 of 161 Old 03-05-2010, 12:58 PM

i think that it is common to get sick when detoxing from parasites..part of why they are harmful is because they excrete toxins into our bodies, so when those are going out with the parasites our bodies are in major transition.. some good bacteria like live yogurt and sauerkraut are good..
hope you feel better soon!

im in love with this stuff.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#104 of 161 Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM

i've been taking a 1/2 tsp at bedtime for the past week, but i haven't noticed a difference. well, since getting pregnant i've been fluctuating between diarhea and constipation, i do think this has leveled off a bit this past week. i wanted to start off slow because of being pregnant, but i'm thinking of increasing to a full tsp.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#105 of 161 Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 PM

I can't stomache the Red Lake Earth I mentioned... does anyone in Canada have a good source for the white stuff? Maybe i can get the HFS to order it in.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#106 of 161 Old 03-07-2010, 03:19 AM

I've started taking the FGDE... Two "double-0" sixe capsules stuffed as full as I can get them. I think it might be a little over a teaspoon. I think I am having a positive reaction. this is despite the fact that I've been sick with a yucky cold for a couple weeks, during which I started the DE. I think it might be an extra mineral thing, and maybe a detox thing. could also be a kicking parasite thing. But I am not sure. On very infrequent "inspection for parasite elimination" I am not seeing anything. But I am still feeling good. In fact, even though the cold hasn't gone away completely as soon as I started the DE I started feeling remarkably better, even though I still had a runny rose, cough, sneeze.

On getting my kids to consume it... I bought some of the really delicious store bought kefir in the peach flavor. My kids so gaga over this stuff, they call it a milkshake. *haha* My son especially likes "store bought healthy stuff". Often he thinks they are tastier than their homemade counterparts. Anyway, I told him I was mixing the DE in and he couldn't have any without the DE. That sealed the deal. He takes it just fine. My DD on the other hand is hip to my game. She doesn't want it with stuff mixed in, unless I tell her that I'll give her treat to her brother. She'll take one drink then. And then it's a funny face and "Here, Leo!" passing it over. I still have yet to try the jam. She is also a chocoholic. Maybe I could put it in coconut oil fudge? I'll post any experiments I try when I try them.
#107 of 161 Old 03-07-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
I can't stomache the Red Lake Earth I mentioned... does anyone in Canada have a good source for the white stuff? Maybe i can get the HFS to order it in.
http://www.diatomearthoutwest.ca/ we got ours from here..they are in kelowna.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#108 of 161 Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 PM

`removed

Apaulinaria likes this.
#109 of 161 Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.Rishavy View Post
And it is completely safe for pregnant and nursing women as long as you are using FOOD GRADE DE!
Does anybody have a citation for this. It makes perfect sense since DE is used as an anti-caking agent in many dry mixes, but the quantities needed for an effect to be seen seems pretty large. Also, I've read that one shouldn't detox while pregnant, would the cleansing effects of DE count as detox?

I'm leaning towards it being safe during pregnancy, but I really want to be sure.
#110 of 161 Old 04-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
Does anybody have a citation for this. It makes perfect sense since DE is used as an anti-caking agent in many dry mixes, but the quantities needed for an effect to be seen seems pretty large. Also, I've read that one shouldn't detox while pregnant, would the cleansing effects of DE count as detox?

I'm leaning towards it being safe during pregnancy, but I really want to be sure.
I have been taking it since before being pregnant and have continued..i'm almost 9 weeks pregnant now. its detoxifying but not in the same way that herbs are, at least that is what i believe. in my experience it is very gentle and also very nourishing (full of silica & minerals) and i'm craving it these days, which in my mind means its good for me..we put it in our morning smoothie and the whole family has some.

Quote:

#111 of 161 Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 AM

`removed

#112 of 161 Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After calling the 2 local health food stores to get quantity and price and being aghast at the prices (over a dollar/ounce). It sunk into my head that folks have used it for their animals longer than we humans have regularly been using it for ourselves and that I bet the local feed & grain store would have it. So I called them and they have it for $1.25/pound!!! I was so excited I went right over and got some Can't wait to see some of my yuckys get better!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#113 of 161 Old 04-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Would it be good for bacterial overgrowth?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#114 of 161 Old 04-17-2010, 02:56 AM

mama to one '07 and one '09
#115 of 161 Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 PM

Just bumping this thread because it deserves attention and to give an update.

I tried taking DE back in March or April and had very bad detox symptoms so I stopped. I did put it in our bulk grains and legumes in case of bugs, though.

Have been taking it again in a smoothie (only about 1 tsp!) for the past two days and once again very bad detox. So bad, I'm not sure I want to nurse Ladybug tonight, who knows what's in my milk now.

I think DE is probably like kombucha, if you're used to it before being pregnant or nursing, it's no big deal. Just a heads up to others who were considering it.
#116 of 161 Old 09-13-2010, 05:44 PM

We are fighting pinworms in our house, my DH thinks he had gotten rid of his w/ the Coconut Cures Parasite Purge + a dose of Vermox. I have gotten my 22 mo. DD to eat lots of pumpkin seeds & coconut macaroons but I think they are still bothering her. I have tried EVERYTHING including caving and trying Vermox...and I still feel them, it's so miserable. Just got my DE in today and took 1 tbsp. It tastes awful! I got DD to take one sip.

Any more suggestions for how to sneak it to a very picky eater? She doesn't like yogurt or juice.

Mama to my 2 sweet baby chicks! DD1 is 3 and DD2 born April '12.
They make me joy.gif
#117 of 161 Old 10-12-2010, 04:57 PM

UPDATE: DE is amazing stuff. I honestly think it's the only thing that got rid of the parasites. And I now know I was either not dealing w/ pinworms at all or a variety of parasites...ick. I did cave and use Vermox but it didn't work. DE did. I will probably take it everyday for the rest of my life! I think it has also given me more energy and made my hair seem thicker.

They make me joy.gif
#118 of 161 Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 AM

my 2 yr old has pinworms, ack! so far the rest of the family does not, but i know it may just be a matter of time. we've known for 6 days and have been doing GSE, garlic, pumpkin seeds, cina, etc for all 5 of us....but i'm not really sure if anything is really helping. i still see pinworms in her poop and with the flashlight check. so DE seems to have worked for lots of you for pinworms? mamachick, you seem to have tried lots of other remedies but were happy with DE, yes? i will see if i can get some at my health food store tomorrow!!
#119 of 161 Old 11-09-2010, 12:37 AM

I just found this thread, am new to mothering.com and am excited to read the positive (and researched) results everyone is having with DE. I ordered some last week and it arrives tomorrow, I'm a bit nervous to start using it, but after reading the posts here, I am feeling more relaxed about it.

I've used parasite herbal cleanses w/o results and am hoping that the DE will work for parasite removal.

Sounds like it takes a few days to a couple of weeks before people are seeing or feeling results, is that accurate?

Caryn

Peace, love and light,  
Caryn
#120 of 161 Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama megan View Post

my 2 yr old has pinworms, ack! so far the rest of the family does not, but i know it may just be a matter of time. we've known for 6 days and have been doing GSE, garlic, pumpkin seeds, cina, etc for all 5 of us....but i'm not really sure if anything is really helping. i still see pinworms in her poop and with the flashlight check. so DE seems to have worked for lots of you for pinworms? mamachick, you seem to have tried lots of other remedies but were happy with DE, yes? i will see if i can get some at my health food store tomorrow!!

Sorry I am so late responding. I never got the notification for this.  I hope you have found relief! I tried pretty much EVERYTHING and DE is the only thing that helped. It is really amazing stuff. My whole family took it and we all saw different parasites. So gross.

They make me joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page