Food-grade diatomaceous earth - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 161 Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestingqueen View Post

I just found this thread, am new to mothering.com and am excited to read the positive (and researched) results everyone is having with DE. I ordered some last week and it arrives tomorrow, I'm a bit nervous to start using it, but after reading the posts here, I am feeling more relaxed about it.

I've used parasite herbal cleanses w/o results and am hoping that the DE will work for parasite removal.

Sounds like it takes a few days to a couple of weeks before people are seeing or feeling results, is that accurate?

Caryn

I can tell you that I noticed a real difference within 2-3 days.  Basically as the stuff moves through you it's killing the parasites.  So as soon as you digest it and eliminate I would think you would start getting relief.  Once it started working, every time something would bother me I would go take more! This really seemed to help. Good luck! I found mixing it in yogurt or applesauce made it pretty much tasteless.

Mama to my 2 sweet baby chicks! DD1 is 3 and DD2 born April '12.
They make me joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 161 Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks MamaChick!  I started with 1 tsp yesterday and did 2 tsp today.  Nothing major yet.  I plan to go to 1 tbsp tomorrow and see how it goes.  ~Caryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChick View Post

I can tell you that I noticed a real difference within 2-3 days.  Basically as the stuff moves through you it's killing the parasites.  So as soon as you digest it and eliminate I would think you would start getting relief.  Once it started working, every time something would bother me I would go take more! This really seemed to help. Good luck! I found mixing it in yogurt or applesauce made it pretty much tasteless.

Peace, love and light,  
Caryn
#123 of 161 Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 AM

Just started taking DE (Perma Guard) ....I took one TBS blended with Papaya and water....not bad.

I was curious if I can take my usual supplements while taking DE.

I figure I should take DE a few hours before taking my supplements so that it won't flush the nutrients out of my system.

Any opinions?

(The supplements I take are: Bee Pollen, Acerola Powder, Fermented CLO, Butter Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Desiccated Liver, Iodine, Selenium, Trace Minerals, etc)

Spending my days with my precious son, the greatest blessing in my life - appropriatley born on Thanksgiving day

​looking forward to when I can sleep more than a 2 or 3 hour stretch on a consistent basis!

#124 of 161 Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter is Better View Post

Just started taking DE (Perma Guard) ....I took one TBS blended with Papaya and water....not bad.

I was curious if I can take my usual supplements while taking DE.

I figure I should take DE a few hours before taking my supplements so that it won't flush the nutrients out of my system.

Any opinions?

(The supplements I take are: Bee Pollen, Acerola Powder, Fermented CLO, Butter Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Desiccated Liver, Iodine, Selenium, Trace Minerals, etc)

I have heard that there is the possibility it could take nutrients, it's recommended you take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach or right before you go to bed at night.

They make me joy.gif
#125 of 161 Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestingqueen View Post

Thanks MamaChick!  I started with 1 tsp yesterday and did 2 tsp today.  Nothing major yet.  I plan to go to 1 tbsp tomorrow and see how it goes.  ~Caryn

No problem. I take 1-2 tbsp/day and haven't had any problems with constipation or anything.

They make me joy.gif
#126 of 161 Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM

I just got DE and I'm excited to start taking it.  I have a six week old newborn with a lot of gas and uncomfortable bowel movements.  We may have thrush.  I'm planning on getting Pharmax Neonate, would it be helpful to clear his system of yeast with the DE?  Is DE harmful to babies so young?

#127 of 161 Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 AM

anyone?

#128 of 161 Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have never read anything about giving DE to very young babies - I wouldn't experiment with giving it directly to anyone not old enough for solids, personally.

#129 of 161 Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'd eliminate common allergens (milk/cheese, soy, corn, wheat) one at a time from own diet first, if you're breast feeding, before I'd give a baby that young DE. It can be so strong, in a good way, for adults, but a brand new system...? I'd really be cautious.

If you feel strongly about trying it...maybe wet the tip of your finger, tap it in the powder and whatever teensy tiny small amount sticks to your finger tip you could wipe on the inside of baby's mouth, then wait 24 hrs to see if there's any reaction and go from there.

Good luck with what ever you decide!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#130 of 161 Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Do most on this thread use Perma Guard? I would love to get some DE but I'm concerned about the heavy metal content, especially aluminum. Does anyone know of a purified source of amorphous silica that has the same effects as food grade DE? Or perhaps a brand that has very little naturally occurring aluminum? 

#131 of 161 Old 03-12-2011, 12:03 PM

I have Red Lake brand DE with calcium Benonite ahve any of you used this brand it is brown in color like mud hahha not white.  I am suspecting a pic worm infestation in me and want to start right away  any thoughts

amy

#132 of 161 Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachaell View Post

I just got DE and I'm excited to start taking it.  I have a six week old newborn with a lot of gas and uncomfortable bowel movements.  We may have thrush.  I'm planning on getting Pharmax Neonate, would it be helpful to clear his system of yeast with the DE?  Is DE harmful to babies so young?

I'd try pascalite clay instead of DE in this case, if you feel like you need something in addition to the probiotics.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#133 of 161 Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupressa View Post

Do most on this thread use Perma Guard? I would love to get some DE but I'm concerned about the heavy metal content, especially aluminum. Does anyone know of a purified source of amorphous silica that has the same effects as food grade DE? Or perhaps a brand that has very little naturally occurring aluminum? 

I have had some concern about the aluminum too, although I've never heard of anyone having any negative effects from it. All earth-based substances that I've seen, from azomite to pascalite to DE, all have higher levels of aluminum in them. They're all also used liberally in traditional cultures. I just heard from a mama on another thread that while using bentonite clay, her family's aluminum levels actually went down. I'm not sure if it works the same way for DE or not, but a lot folks say it does. It's up to you to decide.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#134 of 161 Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy974 View Post

I have Red Lake brand DE with calcium Benonite ahve any of you used this brand it is brown in color like mud hahha not white.  I am suspecting a pic worm infestation in me and want to start right away  any thoughts

amy

If you're dealing with intestinal parasites, you can take a look at my story about dealing with them: http://www.howigotmyhealthback.com . I used a bunch of different things. DE was among the things I used as a frequent support, but I found I needed other things as well. It's different for everyone and for every infestation, of course, but you might find the info useful.

#135 of 161 Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

I'd try pascalite clay instead of DE in this case, if you feel like you need something in addition to the probiotics.

yes.

#136 of 161 Old 04-30-2011, 02:18 PM

I just bought a 40lb bag of the Red Lake Earth DE and it lists dogs, cats, cows, horses, poultry, etc. on it and it is food grade but I can't find anything about humans being able to consume it.

I know this thread is older but I was hoping that some of the people who have been taking DE have some information on whether this stuff that we bought is human-friendly so we can start taking it too?
I would love to hear some feedback from people who have tried it and whether this is the right stuff to eat?
Thank you in advance!!

#137 of 161 Old 05-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Wondering if anyone using DE has had any beneficial effects that they care to share since this thread in 2008? If so or not, how often are / did you taking it?

Thanks

#138 of 161 Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 AM

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help? me and all my family have been taking D.E for the last 2 months or so and the health benefits for us are brilliant, the question is my youngest daughter is pregnant with her 3rd child and i was wondering if anybody knew if it was still ok for her to continue taking D.E, we live in the U.K where the health professionals know NOTHING about D.E and look at you as if your nuts when you mention D.E.............Kind regards Tracey

#139 of 161 Old 07-27-2011, 11:16 AM

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help? me and all my family have been taking D.E for the last 2 months or so and the health benefits for us are brilliant, the question is my youngest daughter is pregnant with her 3rd child and i was wondering if anybody knew if it was still ok for her to continue taking D.E, we live in the U.K where the health professionals know NOTHING about D.E and look at you as if your nuts when you mention D.E.............Kind regards Tracey

#140 of 161 Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM

Did you end up using the DE? I have a 2.5 year old too and I'm nursing her and her 10 month old sister. just trying to find some information on DE for a toddler and while nursing.
#141 of 161 Old 11-04-2011, 03:45 PM

Hi everyone.

I thought I would share some information about diatomaceous earth with you, specifically in regards to the last few posts.

It is important to note that, at this time, there are no diatomaceous earth products that are registered for human consumption (that is why you won't find any instructions on your bag of Red Lake Earth for this purpose). This is due to the fact that not enough testing has been done to prove any long term or short term effects. That being said, many people do consume DE (Red Lake Earth included) and experience very positive results (in fact, many people swear by it) however these results are only anecdotal and not scientific in nature.

Most often DE is used as an anti-caking agent and pelleting aid in livestock feed. As well, it has been increasingly used as a natural insecticide. It is safe to use with nearly all animals (excluding reptiles - as it may dry out their skin - and other animals with pre-existing skin conditions or dust allergies).

Although I cannot make any claims for use with humans (as no scientific studies have been done), in regards to use with animals, it is perfectly safe to feed DE to them while they are pregnant and nursing.

Both pure diatomaceous earth (white in color) and DE with calcium bentonite (grey in color) will work the same for most purposes (including pest control) however, when used in animal feed DE that contains calcium bentonite or montmorillonite is much like feeding your animals brown bread over white bread. This is due to the fact that calcium bentonite contains various micro and macro minerals that are important for health.

It is important that you contact a professional health care practitioner if you have any concerns about using diatomaceous earth.

#142 of 161 Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 PM

Bumping this thread!

I am almost 24 weeks pregnant. Is it safe to safe to start taking DE now? I was thinking of taking 1/2 a tsp to start.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#143 of 161 Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I have the same question.   I have read that it is safe, but my concern is the detox effect. I really dont want to come down with a cold at 36 weeks pregnant. Id like to start post partum, but am not sure if the toxic release gets into the breast milk or not.....

so, ....not sure... :-)

#144 of 161 Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 AM

I give it to my son in apple sauce he likes it pretty well.

#145 of 161 Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfcat

We use DE to keep down the ants (they are a big problem around here) and DD (2yo) frequently grabs a handful of DE from the counter dusting and eats it. *sighs* She hasn't died yet... lol  We joke that the kids eat so much cuz they have tapeworms and DD is self-medicating. Sheepish.gif

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#146 of 161 Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 AM

I have read on sites that sell DE that its ok for nursing mothers

#147 of 161 Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 AM

My midwife said that it is perfectly fine to take while pregnant and nursing. But I think everyone should do what they feel is best for them. I did not read this entire thread, so I am not sure if this has been said before, but when taking DE you must drink a lot of water, I drink at least an extra 20-30 ounces a day, when I don't I find I get pain when I go pee, but if I drink enough water I have no issues.

#148 of 161 Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo0685 View Post

My midwife said that it is perfectly fine to take while pregnant and nursing. But I think everyone should do what they feel is best for them. I did not read this entire thread, so I am not sure if this has been said before, but when taking DE you must drink a lot of water, I drink at least an extra 20-30 ounces a day, when I don't I find I get pain when I go pee, but if I drink enough water I have no issues.

Thankyou pogo0685. My jar of diatomaceous earth sits untouched since i posted this  when pregnant with dd, now 5 months old!  My midwife didnt know anything about it. I hesitated taking it while breatfeeding, because it makes sense that if the  body is detoxing, then those toxins might be passed onto the breastmilk. If youre midwwife thinks its ok, then  i am encouraged. But what of those toxins? Why wouldnt they go into the breastmilk? (or pass into the placenta whilst pregnant)?

#149 of 161 Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Thankyou pogo0685. My jar of diatomaceous earth sits untouched since i posted this  when pregnant with dd, now 5 months old!  My midwife didnt know anything about it. I hesitated taking it while breatfeeding, because it makes sense that if the  body is detoxing, then those toxins might be passed onto the breastmilk. If youre midwwife thinks its ok, then  i am encouraged. But what of those toxins? Why wouldnt they go into the breastmilk? (or pass into the placenta whilst pregnant)?

Yes, I'm wondering the same thing...why don't the toxins go into the milk? I know with bentonite clay they say metals bind to it and it's passed thru feces, I wonder if it's the same? I have a 4 month old...

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#150 of 161 Old 07-07-2012, 08:16 AM

Sounds feasible. I wonder where  more information about the actual process of detoxing this way could be found. And why do so few people know anything more definitive?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page