Mothering Forum banner

Food-grade diatomaceous earth

92K views 160 replies 55 participants last post by  contactmaya 
#1 ·
Anyone tried it? How is it different from azomite? Does it have more silica than azomite?

I got a bunch of info on food-grade diatomaceous earth in my package from the kefirlady today(yay! I have kefir grains!), and it really intrigued me. It apparently sort of scrubs the colon clean, due to its unique hardness and sharpness. It gets into the bloodstream in small amounts and helps clear the arteries, too, bringing down blood pressure and cholesterol. It also kills parasites and attracts and absorbs heavy metals and pesticide and drug residues. It's also a good source of minerals, and of course silica. People report improvement in joint and ligament pain, skin, the list goes on...

We've been giving it to animals for years to keep their intestines clean and parasites under control, and my guess is that traditional societies got some naturally, through dirt in their food.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts? It seems like it has the benefit of azomite plus some.

#52 ·
Taedareth, the small ones were obvious and the large stuff was questionable, and I didn't investigate further. Maybe I'll pm you...

#53 ·
I just found this thread and am subbing!! someone posted some links to DE on another thread and i am so happy to find more info here.

I havn't tried it yet and I think I will put it off for myself since I am pregnant, but I would like to try for my younger kids especially ds 5 1/2.
He has food allegies, celiac, and has been chronically constipated for ages, until recently since taking enzymes he has improved quite a lot , like going every 3rd day and no more holding in and crying and no more pain and they even look normal too, sory if tmi.
I have often thought about parasites, pinworms but have never been able to see anything on him even though I look occasionally at night.
I would love to hear from any of you who have given to kids with food allergies, and if your kids experience better "digestive habits" etc;
do they have to have confirmed parasites to take this or can you take it anyway??

#54 ·
Hello Ladies,
I didn't read all the posts,I will later,but I wanted to share my experiences with you. We use DE all the time. It works great for all gut/bowel issues. IMO While living in Haiti we were constantly exposed to everything really. My little guy, at that time, got a bad case of giardia(sp.?) horrible stuff I must say. DE in a little yogurt a few times a day for a few days and it's gone. We use yogurt because it mixes in well and is taseless with a really full flavored yogurt. Just a little gritty,but doable. Tryed mixed in a liquid didn't fly. I also used it for bugs(roaches really,big suckkers to) It works great. I sprinkle on the floor at night and they come out and then take it back home. Where it gets on everybody and they die! Anyway I think it is great stuff. Works great, is non-toxic and safe for kids. Just my experience.

#56 ·
Gilla - DE is a nutritional supplement that is safe for people of all ages, and also for animals (good for your garden, too). As a side benefit, it also kills intestinal parasites because its microscopic sharp edges slice them up. Unlike herbal parasite cleanses, DE is not poisonous. It's totally harmless to any organism larger than an earthworm, except insects. Apparently it kills big, ugly cockroaches
I've read that you can't overdose on DE because it's just clay powder after all - anything beyond your body's nutritional needs for that day just goes through you. The silica in the powder is great for building strong hair and nails
That's what I've read, anyway. I'm hoping to have a personal testimonial soon

mbravebird - PM me anytime! We can have our discussion about parasites without disturbing everyone else

#57 ·
So I've been taking 2 heaping Tbsp of DE daily (most days) for about a month now. No noticeable results, except for the regularity. I do wonder if it's made my nails thicker/stronger but I probably haven't been taking it long enough for new nail to grow from the cuticle all the way to the tips of my fingers, so it's hard to know.

I'm now increasing to 3 Tbsp and in a week or so, possibly 4 Tbsp. From what I've read, there's no harm in taking lots of DE, since anything above and beyond your body's silica requirements for that day just pass through your system. I read somewhere that some people take 3-4 Tbsp for a time, for cleansing purposes. So I figure, might as well try it. If there are any parasites hanging around, I guess putting all this grit through my system will fix their wagons

#59 ·
Well, for the last 10 days I've been trying to take 3 Tbsp per day but sometimes I forget and only take 1-2 Tbsp. I haven't noticed any difference. Nothing wormy-looking, and just the usual one BM per day (sorry for TMI). Haven't noticed any other benefits, but I'm in pretty good health to begin with, so...

DE makes a GREAT facial exfoliator! And it's nice for brushing teeth!

#61 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Firefaery, do you take MSM and DE, or only MSM? Are you saying that DE is caustic and reduces breastmilk supply, or are you talking about oregano oil?
Oregano oil is DISASTER for supply----- do not take oregano oil while BF. Even eating a lot of oregano can noticably diminish supply.

For everyone- I'm having a very hard time hiding the DE for my kids. They pick up on it in everything (and then won't consume it). Besides yogurt, what do ya'll use for younger kids (ages 6 and almost 3)?

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
How about putting it in homemade ice cream?

I'll try it, but we don't eat ice cream (even though it's homemade and raw good stuff!) everyday (though I bet my kids would approve of a trial...)

Any other suggestions?

#66 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeyhaze View Post
Is it safe to take food grade DE as a supplement during pregnancy?

Thanks,
HH
I've stopped taking it because it lowers cholesterol, and cholesterol is supposed to be high during pregnancy in order to help the baby get good fats for development. I figured it's best not to interfere.

#68 ·
i took 1 tbsp last night and 1 tbsp this morning. i had quite a bit of gurgling in my gut for some time and felt like i had lumps of lead in me but that has passed. i think it might be because i didn't drink enough water yesterday. i did wake up with phlegm in my lungs, which cleared out pretty quick. i think that was because of the DE though because i am not getting sick and it's very rare for me to have phlegm or a cough.

is anyone else still taking DE?

#70 ·
last night when i took it, i used a small glass of water and stopped and stirred to keep it suspended in the water. then i followed with a big glass of plain water. this morning i took it in a smoothie.

#71 ·
went from feeling backed up to suddenly becoming much more regular. i have been fairly regular since switching from SAD to whole foods a couple years ago so i didn't know one could be even more regular!

#72 ·
Anyone buy capsules and fill them with DE? Just still trying to figure it out for my kids. My DS takes probiotics, etc in capsules, so maybe this would work. I'd definitely like it better that way also!

Anyone else?

#73 ·
i think taking the DE in capsules would be just fine. my dh actually suggested this to me last night. i do want to get a capsule filling machine but for other reasons. somehow the DE actually doesn't bother me.

#75 ·
We noticed after about a week. I continued for another week just to be sure. I have a home daycare and one of the little ones must have it because we seem to get it every 4 to 6 months.
I've added it to our whole grains and legumes to keep moths out. Hopefully that's enough to keep the pinworms away too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.