Wanting to make kefir beer... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and I'm hoping someone here has tried it? I've found a recipe and instructions... have my water kefir grains going on their second batch of plain ol' kefir... but I'm inspired to make a more-healthful alternative to gluten-free beer or wine.

The instructions I have say to add "a couple of kefir grains." Literally? Just a couple? Two? They're little bitty... how could two little grains do all that work? I have probably 1/4 to 1/3 cup of grains, and the instructions that came with them say to use all of them for regular kefir.

And, um... any tips I ought to know to avoid the dreaded exploding-kefir-bottle syndrome?

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM

Please share your recipe!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

The recipe is basically... start with a concoction of juice/sugar/whatever that tastes good... add a couple kefir grains... let it do it's thing. LOL

There's a nice pdf file, with pictures, lemme see if I can figure out how to add a link.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
Old 09-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Am I the only one excited to read it has alcohol in it? :

Okay, that's bad. I should be focused on another wonderful thing to do with my beloved water kefir grains.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 PM

I'm thinking he means a couple of tablespoons of kefir grains. For a normal batch of water kefir, 3 tablespoons will ferment up to 3 quarts of sugar water (I normally say 2 quarts just to be safe). As long as you have at least 3 tablespoons worth in there, I wouldn't worry too much about overdoing it.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 09-05-2008, 09:37 PM

Oh, juice kefir. I was all excited, thinking you had a recipe for something that tasted like beer

Edit: Oh wait - it does have a beer recipe!!

Quote:
For my porter I boil a gallon of water with 1 cup of molasses and 3 cups of sugar, and 2-3 handfuls of hops.
Let it boil for about 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and add another 2 handfuls of hops. Let it set until it
is cool. Then strain it and proceed as for any other kefir beer.
The boiling is to extract the flavor from the hops. However, boiling kills some of the more “aromatic” flavors,
so the hops added at the end, the “finishing” hops, are there for aroma. You can also add parched
ground grains to the boiling step for more flavor: I recommend reading homebrew books for ideas on
grains and types of hops. Most homebrew recipes use barley, which isn’t gluten free, but you can use
parched corn or rice for flavor, or even coffee.
Adding more sugar makes the beer more alcoholic. Adding more molasses makes it richer tasting, but
molasses is very strong tasting so you need to judge what you like. You can also use honey. Honey will
make the fermentation proceed very slowly, which is good if you like your brew sweet.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Further down in the document he does have a more true beer recipe which calls for hops. I might have to try that

Old 09-06-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm excited about the alcohol content!! I got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas and still haven't used it, because gluten-free beer seems like such a big effort and possibly no reward. (Might taste terrible, like most GF beers on the market.) Sooo, I think I'll make kefir beer instead. It's healthier, a lot less work, and will probably taste better. I think I'll start with the apple juice, to get the hang of it. Well, no... maybe the molasses "small beer" like what George Washington drank.

I know many people feel alcohol is evil, but I don't, and at least this way it has a lot of natural vitamins and probiotics!

Oh, and dogmom- I'll be using your cultures that I just recently ordered.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:29 PM

This site describes the character of various breeds of hops: http://www.hopsdirect.com/hops/leafhops.html

This website has links to places to buy hops (cheaper than the above site): http://www.realbeer.com/hops/pricelists.html
Old 09-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
I'm excited about the alcohol content!!

Oh, and dogmom- I'll be using your cultures that I just recently ordered.
Cool! It's always nice for them to go to a good home

User Tag List