Is there such thing as too much raw milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd (2) has really picked up on her milk consumption. I think 80% of her daily calories are coming from milk. I'm starting to get a little concerned that her diet isn't very balanced. Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 AM

I have no idea, but my kids do the same thing. They go through phases of "milk days". I try to limit to a certain amount then add other dairy in and if they've eaten some other things and still really want a cup I will let them. I honestly think it's okay I mean, it likely won't make up most of her diet a few months from now. Maybe her body is craving the nutrients in the milk.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:32 AM

My concern would be adequate vitamins and minerals and fats. So, perhaps, increase these nutrients in ways that she prefers. Such as ice cream with fruit, yogurt with granola. Cookies with coconut oil. Vit C and the B vitamins would be my main concerns, along with zinc and magnesium.

Large consumption of calcium can deplete magnesium and make bones brittle, if magnesium isn't consumed along with the calcium. So, consider adding magnesium supplementation or foods rich in magnesium.

Perhaps some bone broths with rice, pasta, soups, fruit popsicles for vitamins and minerals.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:06 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, add some magnesium, and maybe try and get some yogurt or something cultured in somewhere. Just my two cents...
Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Raw milk is supposed to be a nutritionally complete food. I forgot where I got this from, but I've had this saved on my computer.

Nutritional Values of Raw Milk

1.Enzymes, catalase, peroxidase and phosphatase are present.
a.Phosphates is needed to split and assimilate the mineral salts in foods that are in the form of phytates.
b.Wulzen Factor (anti-stiffness) available.
c.X Factor (now believed to be vitamin K2) in tissue repair available.
2.Protein--100% metabolically available; all 22 amino acids, including the 8 that are essential for the complete metabolism and function of protein.
3.Vitamins--all 100% available
a.Vitamin A--fat soluble
b.Vitamin D--fat soluble
c.Vitamin E--fat soluble
d.Vitamin K--fat soluble
e.Vitamin B--Complex:
Vitamin Bw--Biotin
Vitamin B --Choline
Vitamin Bc --Folic Acid
Vitamin B1 --Thiamine
Vitamin B2 --Inositol
Vitamin B2 --Nicotinic Acid
Vitamin B2 --Riboflavin
Vitamin B2 --Pantothenic Acid
Vitamin B3 --Niacin
Vitamin B6 --Pyridoxine
Vitamin B12--Cyanocobalamin
f.Vitamin C
g.Antineuritic vitamin
4.Minerals--all 100% metabolically available.
5.Carbohydrates--easily utilized in metabolism. Still associated naturally with elements (instable).
6.Fats--all 18 fatty acids metabolically available, both saturated and unsaturated.

The only thing that I can think of that you can get too much of from raw milk is the naturally-occurring sugar, possibly. Just like fruit, you should eat it in moderation and not eat too much of it because of the sugar. Other than that, its good to eat a variety of foods, so I'd keep trying different kinds of foods. Homemade bone broths and soups from animal bones and meat as well as fermented foods, raw butter, coconut oil and cod liver oil, I think are also important to include in a diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Large consumption of calcium can deplete magnesium and make bones brittle, if magnesium isn't consumed along with the calcium.
I agree with that statement. But my question is that I thought raw milk contains the correct proportion of calcium to magnesium already. Do you have any sources that say otherwise?

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
But my question is that I thought raw milk contains the correct proportion of calcium to magnesium already. Do you have any sources that say otherwise?
I found this reference that indicates much more calcium than magnesium: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...a?format=print

This (questionable) reference indicates a 1:8 ratio of calcium to magnesium. http://www.marysherbs.com/heal/heal-mlk.htm

This nutritional assessment indicates 296 mg of Calcium per cup, 33 mg of Magnesium per cup. (it is evaluating 2% pasteurized milk) I don't believe that the vitamins would be considerably different in raw milk, I could be incorrect. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rofile&dbid=13

Generally, I believe a 1:1 ratio is closer to optimal, because we consume calcium in many more food sources than we consume magnesium.

I wonder if the nutrients are more bio-available or absorbable in raw dairy though due to the enzymes.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 PM

personally i wouldnt feel comfortable with 80% of my child diet being from dairy-but at least raw milk is completely healthy!

maybe you can offer some things made with the raw milk? yogurt, lasagna, creamy pasta dishes, etc?

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 PM

My DS (2.5 yo) is pretty much the same way. He would rather drink his calories in milk than get them in any other way. I was really concerned about it for a while, then I realized that there are kids in other cultures (and in the past) that have gotten a very high percentage of their calories from breastmilk and do just fine. I realize that cow's milk IS NOT breastmilk, but if they are drinking raw/grass-fed milk, then I wouldn't think it's so bad. I figure my DS will eventually "ween" himself from the milk as he gets older. My oldest did and is very healthy.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!

User Tag List