Coconut Not Good for Type O Blood? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-06-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I picked up a book at a library sale yesterday called Low-Carb, Good Fat by Fran McCullough & it's pretty good. The foreward is by Dr. Barry Sears & the author lists Gary Taubes, Uffe Ravnskov, Bruce Fife & Mary Enig (among others) as further reading, as well as WAPF's website & the article 'The Oiling of America.' The only beef I have is that in one or two recipes, she lists 'sugar or Splena' as sweeteners. *scratches head*

My question is, on page 63, the author says in response to coconut consumption (which she's all for):

Quote:
There's only one caveat; if you feel you're not thriving on coconut, it might be because your blood type is O. Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo, author of Eat Right for Your Type, says coconut is not good for those with type O, the oldest blood type, which is most like that of our Paleo ancestors.
Has anyone else with type O blood had trouble with coconut? Has anyone with type O blood been fine with coconut?

Can anyone explain why exactly type Os have trouble with coconut?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#2 of 10 Old 10-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have O and the only problem I've ever had with coconut is large amounts of coconut meat will get me running to the bathroom (but then so do green salads). But I have no problems with CO.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 10 Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 PM

I do ok with it, though years ago I was into blood typing and avoided it. But I don't know how well I believe it now. If blood typing theories are based in evolutionary thought than isn't it possible type O's could eventually tolerate certain foods? and what about traditional cultures who were O and ate coconut?Does anyone here have a blood typing timeline or anything?

I tend to not take J D A'damo's words very seriously. After a quick glance at the Eat Right For Baby book I had on my self, this past pregnancy, I saw I was supposed to be drinking soymilk! as if. That is what got me all messed up my other pregnancies!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#4 of 10 Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Not a direct answer to your question , but I don't really buy the blood type diet. I haven't read the book, but I understand that type A (what I am) should eat a vegetarian diet. I most decidedly don't do well on a vegetarian diet. I need a lot of good quality meat in order to thrive. And this about coconut makes me wonder more. Coconuts grow wild, so wouldn't people who lived near them eat them? It's hard to imagine people letting such a healthy and tasty food go to waste.

I'll be curious to hear the experiences of type Os.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#5 of 10 Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 PM

I like the idea of metabolic type diets better than blood type diets - that just makes more sense to me.

This is a good summary, and it does mention certain blood types avoiding certain foods, but coconut isn't listed as one of them.
http://www.frot.co.nz/dietnet/review...6_protocol.htm

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#6 of 10 Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 PM

I'm a type O and I haven't had any problems with coconut. I have coconut oil in my yogurt every morning, and when I eat fresh coconut I haven't noticed any problems. If I eat a lot of fresh coconut several days in a row that I end up in the bathroom more often than usual, but I don't think that's unusual.
#7 of 10 Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 AM

I have gone back and forth on the Blood Type Diet thing. I'm currently leaning toward thinking there's something to it. Why? Because over the last year I have discovered allergies/intolerances to a lot of foods, all of which are no-nos for Type Os. I'm a Type O.

I loved coconut with all my heart, but I absolutely react to it. Maybe always did, but couldn't tell because I was reacting to other things. I don't *want* to believe the Blood Type thing, because it also says avocados are a no-no, and I love them. But, ack, that sounds familiar. Every time I stomp my foot and say "I just can't live without ____" I find out that yes, I can, and I'd better.

If I talk dh into TTC again, I just may stick to the Type O plan... in case. One of the things that the 'wrong' lectins are said to do in the blood is cause clots. A very teeny clot killed my last baby. And I wonder if perhaps lectin-induced clots are the cause for a lot of stillbirths and miscarriages, and when the mama is tested for a clotting disorder, nothing shows up.

Maybe the reason why the Blood Type Diet doesn't seem to apply to some is that there's some level of leaky gut required in order for the lectins to become a problem. I don't know.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#8 of 10 Old 10-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Interesting. I'm O+. I really liked coconut oil for a year or so, but then I started gaining weight and breaking out. When I cut the co my skin cleared and I dropped back down to my comfort weight.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#9 of 10 Old 10-07-2008, 12:48 PM

The bloodtype diet sure would explain why some people do well on meat based diets and others vegetarian, but I don't know, I think there must be more to it. I do have to credit it though with getting me off my grain/legume/soy based diet many years ago and eating meat. As an O eating a veg diet, I couldn't figure out why I was not very healthy eating that way until I read the book. It really hit me when I read that hypothyroidism is a typical condition that affects O's who are not eating right....that's what happened to me as a veg.

As far as coconut oil, I love it, and don't notice problems with it, so I do think there is more to determining what's right for your body than bloodtype.
#10 of 10 Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM

I am type O and have never had an issue with anything coconut related.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page