Egg yolk for baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-06-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember reading in Nourishing Traditions that she advised feeding your LO an egg yolk per day starting at four months. I don't have the book handy because I checked it out from the library so correct me if the age is wrong. Do any of you follow this? I am hesitant to give my baby a raw egg yolk just because ya know everyone is like 'don't ever consume raw eggs!' but I do have access to high quality eggs and I'm guessing that makes a difference rather than just buying whatever in the grocery store. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 10-06-2008, 07:46 PM

i believe she suggests a cooked egg yolk, not raw. it could be a bit runny but i don't see any benefit in giving it raw. also i wouldn't give my baby any solids prior to 6 months but that's just my feelings about solid food introductions.
#3 of 21 Old 10-06-2008, 09:15 PM

Egg yolks are good brain food, but if your baby is well nourished through breast milk, then I think it isn't the best advice to feed food to a babe so young. I absolutely believe in looking at a baby's signs for solid readiness before introducing anything.

For what it is worth, my DD at 20 months still doesn't like egg yolk that much. She will only eat it in scrambled eggs. When she was about 7.5 months, I tried introducing cooked egg yolk mixed with breast milk. She wouldn't touch it. But then again, she really didn't start eating solids until 13 months.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#4 of 21 Old 10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
AJP

Many have related here and on TF-related groups that their babies had very bad reactions to egg yolk at that age (vomiting, rashes, etc.). I personally think 4 months is way, way too young for solids of any kind, in the vast majority of cases, and really don't agree with that advice in NT (or a lot of the other baby-feeding advice in it).

There is no secret ingredient.
#5 of 21 Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM

We did egg yolk but not until he started solids around 9 mo. 4 mo is just too young in my opinion.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 21 Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM

i think it is relevant also to point out that the author of Nourishing Traditions was herself unable to breastfeed her children succesfully so she fed them a homemade "formula". if my child was formula fed i might feel inclined to amp up their nutrition earlier but breastmilk is perfect and your baby doesn't need anything else at 4 months.
#7 of 21 Old 10-07-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input. I would have to agree with those who said 4 months is too soon to start anything other than BM. I want to delay solids for a while yet and since my ds is only 3.5 months old it will be a while before I want to introduce them. I think after we do start solids we will do the egg yolk only (not the white) but I will do some more research before then. Does she mention the fact that her children weren't breastfed in this chapter because that advice can be somewhat misleading. KWIM?
#8 of 21 Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
She DID breastfeed her children, but she suffered from low supply and needed to supplement. I don't know at what age she started supplmenting each baby, or when they fully weaned, but all of her infant feeding advice is colored by her own experiences. When she was BFing a 4mo, breastmilk alone wasn't enough, and her kids didn't have any allergies, so adding in egg yolks was a reasonable idea.

She didn't make any specific mention of "this advice for FF infants and this advice for BF infants" because, in her experience ALL babies needed extra food at 4mo.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 21 Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
She DID breastfeed her children, but she suffered from low supply and needed to supplement. I don't know at what age she started supplmenting each baby, or when they fully weaned, but all of her infant feeding advice is colored by her own experiences. When she was BFing a 4mo, breastmilk alone wasn't enough, and her kids didn't have any allergies, so adding in egg yolks was a reasonable idea.

She didn't make any specific mention of "this advice for FF infants and this advice for BF infants" because, in her experience ALL babies needed extra food at 4mo.

right, that's what i menat by saying she wasn't able to breastfeed successfully. i didn't mean that she did not breastfeed at all, to me if your child is not getting enough milk in early infancy you aren't experiencing successful breastfeeding.
#10 of 21 Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 PM

We did (boiled) egg yolk as a first solid food at about 6 1/2 months, and I would NEVER do it again. We have no history of any food allergies in our family, and yet the egg yolk made ds horribly sick. He threw up to the point that he was grey and listless. I mean he was heaving. It was horrible. I checked in the allergy forum here and apparently allergy to egg yolk (not just whites) is fairly common. After our experience, and after further research, I would never recommend introducing egg yolk as a first food. Nor would I advocate routinely introducing any solid food before 6 months. It just doesn't seem to be necessary in a breast-fed baby who is nursing well. Sally Fallon seems to be writing from her own (low breast milk supply) experience here, but it doesn't make sense for her to recommend this approach as a general strategy for everyone. I think this is one area where her recommendations really fall down and could actually be harmful. There are plenty of TF foods that are also on the least allergenic list, such as avocado, bananas, chicken, etc. My advice is to pick something from the least allergenic list (Dr. Sears has a list in The Baby Book, or there are lots of lists available online) that is also TF, and start with that when you feel your child is ready (generally after 6 mos.)

I've been thinking about this and wondering whether there are traditional cultures that give egg yolk to infants. Is egg yolk really a traditional baby food? It seems strange to think that indigenous people would boil an egg, scrupulously peel off the white, and feed the yolk to an infant. Does anybody know whether there are traditional cultures that actually do this?
#11 of 21 Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGerard View Post
We did (boiled) egg yolk as a first solid food at about 6 1/2 months, and I would NEVER do it again. We have no history of any food allergies in our family, and yet the egg yolk made ds horribly sick. He threw up to the point that he was grey and listless. I mean he was heaving. It was horrible. I checked in the allergy forum here and apparently allergy to egg yolk (not just whites) is fairly common. After our experience, and after further research, I would never recommend introducing egg yolk as a first food. Nor would I advocate routinely introducing any solid food before 6 months. It just doesn't seem to be necessary in a breast-fed baby who is nursing well. Sally Fallon seems to be writing from her own (low breast milk supply) experience here, but it doesn't make sense for her to recommend this approach as a general strategy for everyone. I think this is one area where her recommendations really fall down and could actually be harmful. There are plenty of TF foods that are also on the least allergenic list, such as avocado, bananas, chicken, etc. My advice is to pick something from the least allergenic list (Dr. Sears has a list in The Baby Book, or there are lots of lists available online) that is also TF, and start with that when you feel your child is ready (generally after 6 mos.)

I've been thinking about this and wondering whether there are traditional cultures that give egg yolk to infants. Is egg yolk really a traditional baby food? It seems strange to think that indigenous people would boil an egg, scrupulously peel off the white, and feed the yolk to an infant. Does anybody know whether there are traditional cultures that actually do this?
the least allergenic list is subjective though, depending on family history. i actually have pretty extreme sensitivities to avocado, banana, melon, peaches and other foods not usually thought of as allergenic. i have had these allergies since early childhood.

i think in many traditional cultures the first foods introduced would most likely be bones with a bit of meat left on them , probably NOT an egg as hunter gatherers didn't usually have eggs ready and waiting to be eaten.
#12 of 21 Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM

Yup, they say 4-6 months, which I started my daughter on at 5 months. She loves it! I boil an egg for 4 mins., discard the white, and mash the yolk with salt and butter. I've been doing this everyday for a month now with no problems.
#13 of 21 Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 AM

My first son rected horribly to egg yolks until he was about 17 mos, he would violently vomit for hours. The 2nd one was great with them after 6 months.

Right now they're older, but I add raw yolks to everything I possibly can. Sometimes when they're doing the I WANT NOODLES thing... we don't eat noodles often and are gluten free, but I'll give them flat rice noodles with a sauce of raw yolks and butter, lightly salted. They love it, and I don't feel as guilty about feeding them noodles for a meal.

btw: a friend of mine had a daughter who was violently ill with egg yolks as well until well after a year
#14 of 21 Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 PM

I did scrambled egg yolks with all of my dcs (no reaction thank goodness) but definitely not at 4mos. It was more like 8 or 9 months.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#15 of 21 Old 10-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am confused. Am I supposed to eat the yolks raw, or lightly boiled?
#16 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 06:59 AM

i think she puts in the directions exactly how long to cook the egg, though i can't remember right now.

and definitely wait until baby is showing signs of readiness for solid foods.

and only use really fresh, truly free-range eggs.
#17 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I am confused. Am I supposed to eat the yolks raw, or lightly boiled?
Egg yolks should be cooked- either from a boiled egg or you can scramble and fry the yolk. We did scrambled egg yolk fried with a little bit of butter and ds was fine. This started around 10 or 11 months.

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#18 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 08:20 AM

I think at that young, any kind of food is inferior to breastmilk.
#19 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Here a bit from the page on Egg Yolk for baby..

Quote:
Choline is another critical nutrient for brain development. The traditional practice of feeding egg yolks early is confirmed by current research. A study published in the June 2002 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition compared the nutritional effects of feeding weaning infants 6-12 months of age regular egg yolks, enriched egg yolks, and an otherwise normal diet. The researchers found that both breastfed and formula-fed infants who consumed the egg yolks had improved iron levels when compared with the infants who did not. In addition, those infants who got the egg yolks enriched with extra fatty acids had 30 percent to 40 percent greater DHA levels than those fed regular egg yolks.
More info and the cooking Directions are at this link, its under the 'egg yolk' section.
http://www.westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#20 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 10:55 PM

her specific directions are to boil the egg for 3.5 minutes, its warm and runny not solid with the enzymes intact. She also recommends a small amount of salt and grated liver (raw and frozen for more than 14 (?) days, starting at 6mo). DS is 9mo and we have tried egg yolk twice (recently), he just isn't that into it. But he just really isn't that crazy about food (especially mushy food), so I just give him larger pieces (meat, banana etc.) to play with while we eat.

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

#21 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi'sMom View Post
Yup, they say 4-6 months, which I started my daughter on at 5 months. She loves it! I boil an egg for 4 mins., discard the white, and mash the yolk with salt and butter. I've been doing this everyday for a month now with no problems.
I would not recommend giving a 5 month old any solids foods but especially eggs and dairy (two of the top 8 food allergens). In addition, a five month old doesn't need salt in their food.

Glad it worked for your child.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page