Does it take a lot of wheat to make flour? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed a lot of mama's have mills to make their own flour..
Is it cheaper to make your own?
Wheat looks resonable,.. How much wheat to make like 10lbs of flour?
I googled but couldn't find the answer.

Edit - 10lbs is always 10lbs.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#2 of 17 Old 10-11-2008, 01:52 PM

10 lbs. of wheat will still be 10 lbs. of wheat ground up into flour, but it will take up more space. I think a cup of wheat makes like around a cup and half of flour. So if you want to grind 10 lbs. of flour, you will need 10 lbs. of wheat.
#3 of 17 Old 10-11-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

NAK
Oh duh, silly me. haha, I just woke up.
I guess I should have used volume not weight.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#4 of 17 Old 10-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Yeah, it just dawned on me that you may have wanted to know how many cups of wheat berries you would need to make 10 lbs of flour, but that I am not sure. Would have to weigh a cup of wheat, I guess, to determine how much it weighs. The pre-ground flour at the store might say approx. how many cups of flour are in the 10 lb. bag, which would be a starting point.

I think there are about 20 cups in 5 lbs, so 10 lbs would be 40 cups. And a cup of wheat makes between a cup and a quarter and a cup and a half, depending on the type of wheat and how fine you grind it.

So, I would guess maybe 26 and 32 cups of berries would likely yield 40 cups of flour, the equivalent of a 10 lb. bag of flour. But it is early Saturday morning and I may not be able to do math when I am in the midst of cleaning toilets and doing yardwork~ LOL...hope that helps a little....and sorry if I just caused confusion....
#5 of 17 Old 10-11-2008, 03:51 PM

It is so much cheaper to grind your own. I get a 80 lb bag of wheat for $11! It is local and organic. It takes me forever to go through it, and I make sourdough bread all the time. $11 doesn't buy much bread, especially organic bread. Freshly ground flour has so many more nutrients too.
#6 of 17 Old 10-11-2008, 08:13 PM

I just started grinding my own wheat berries. I get about 1 1/2 cups flour for 1 cup berries. The cost of wheat keeps going up and I was spending nearly 25 bucks a week on bread alone. Buying bulk organic wheat berries and grinding my own is a much cheaper option. Oh, gotta go, dough risen and needs to get into the oven.
#7 of 17 Old 10-11-2008, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the answers.
Now I just have to convince my husband!

And learn how to make bread.

#8 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 03:45 AM

Easy Whole Wheat Bread

Mix together in your kitchen aid mixer bowl:

1 1/2 cup warm filtered water (warm enough to notice but be able to hold finger in it comfortably, I find filtered rises better)
1 1/2 cup warm (as above) milk
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Add 5 and 2/3 cup flour
7 tsp vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 tsp sea salt

Mix with dough hook until dough balls up around hook. Put in warm place to rise 2 hours (can put glass measuring cup of hot water and bowl of dough into closed -OFF- microwave). Then split dough in half and gently shape into ball or loaf. Put in lightly greased bread pan. Allow to rise 1 to 1/2hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

If you still have white flour on hand and want a lighter loaf you can replace a couple cups of the WW flour with white flour. Reduce vital wheat gluten by 1 tsp though.

Store finished COOL loaves in plastic zip loc bags. If crust is a bit hard you can put a slice of fresh apple in bag to make it softer. My kids are loving the fresh bread and I am saving at least 15 bucks a week by making my own.
#9 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
Can bread be mixed by hand okay? I dont have any mixers or anything.

#10 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
It is so much cheaper to grind your own. I get a 80 lb bag of wheat for $11! It is local and organic. It takes me forever to go through it, and I make sourdough bread all the time. $11 doesn't buy much bread, especially organic bread. Freshly ground flour has so many more nutrients too.
That's an amazing price! I pay $30 for a 40 pound bag.

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23
#11 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
how do you store i so that while it takes a while to use up, you aren't letting it go rancid?
#12 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
how do you store i so that while it takes a while to use up, you aren't letting it go rancid?
As long as it is whole, not ground, it wont go rancid. Wheat was found in tombs in Egypt, thousands of years old, and it was perfectly fine, and even grew! I am not storing mine in the sun, getting hot.
#13 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTessa View Post
That's an amazing price! I pay $30 for a 40 pound bag.
I get it local from amish farmers. It is just the same grain they have been growing for generations without pesticides. It is a gem of a store, they sell barley and rye too for the same price. The farmer is going to grow oats for me next year.
#14 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 07:10 PM

bluebirdmama1 - your supplier doesn't ship it do they? Maybe next time I'm in Pennsylvania I'll look for a supplier. We're headed north in the spring. That price is outrageously wonderful!!
#15 of 17 Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 PM

I am not sure if they ship. Here is their number: 315-946-6061. It is Lyons Creek Feed, in Lyons, NY. They sell al different feeds, but the wheat, rye, and barley, are the ones that they grow locally and organic. I have friends that grow wheat nearer to NYC, and it is organic for $13 for 50 lbs. They have tons of other grains they grow themselves too. Let me know if you want that info too. There is also a local grower in Penn Yan, NY.
#16 of 17 Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Unbelievable! Thanks so much for your info!! You've been sooooo helpful!
#17 of 17 Old 10-13-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameXCupcake View Post
Thank you!
Can bread be mixed by hand okay? I dont have any mixers or anything.
Yep. You'll have to knead it for a while (and probably mix in the last of the flour by kneading). It's good exercise!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page