Raw Goat Milk Versus Raw Cows Milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-18-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A while ago I was planning on participating in a group in my area to do raw cows milk runs because the nearest place is about 40 minutes from where I live. We had originally thought of going every other week. But at the time I decided not to because I was still deciding what I wanted to do.

Now I am thinking about Raw Goat milk instead because I found a dairy that is about 15 minutes from my home. They sell raw and pasteurized goat milk but the only problem is the price. THe Raw Cows Milk is 40 mins. aways but costs $7 dollars a gallon and the Raw Goat Milk is 15 mins aways and $6 for a half gallon jug.

My family are big milk drinkers and we drink close to 2 gallons a week, so if I were to participate in the group runs I would want to get the milk at least once a week. But I am not sure how that would work out.

THe Goat Milk seems like a beter option even though it is pricy because it's so close and I would have to pay for gas with milk runs.

What do any of you think? Both dairies are very clean and there animals are healthy as well.

I would love to hear any of your opinions, please help me out here!
#2 of 13 Old 10-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could you do both? Get cow's milk at the same time as the group that does every-other-week runs, and then the other week get goat's milk?
#3 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 09:17 AM

The cost is about the same as around here in Kentucky. The major advantage that I have found with the goat's milk is that it is perfectly drinkable after it's been frozen- the previously frozen cow's milk is fine in cooking, okay in coffee, but not drinkable. Obviously, fresh either is better, but we are 1 1/2 hours from raw cow or goat's milk, so getting some fresh and some frozen seems to be the only answer until I get my own goat in the spring.
Isn't real milk yummy?!
#4 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 AM

Goat milk does freeze beautifully, but that's the one that's nearby for you, so you wouldn't need to freeze it! Cow's milk freezes a lot better (the cream doesn't 'glob up' so much) if you add about 1/2 tsp baking soda per gallon (after pouring off about a cup, to allow for expansion), and shake that up before putting it in the freezer. The baking soda somehow keeps the fat particles from clumping together. And such a small amount of baking soda doesn't change the taste.

I agree with the poster who suggested a combination of both. That would cut the cost and the driving time... nice compromise.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#5 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How weird! Cow's milk here is more expensive than goat's.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#6 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM

Well, I'm not biased at ALL but I like goat's milk better. As PP's have said, it freezes beautifully. But it also makes the most amazing yogurt and kefir...yum. And some people swear that goat's milk is healthier. I do know that the vitamins are more absorbable in goat's milk.

I think you should try them both and see which one you like better.
#7 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I love the comments keep them coming! I never thought of doing both and alternating with cows and goat milk that is very intriguing and I think I will think on that idea.

I have never had goat milk before but I have heard the health benefits are incredible, and it is more digestable then cows milk. I don't like the price but I like that it is so close to where I live. I love any kind of milk so I am sure I would be okay with it. I am also glad to hear that it freezes well! Thats great to know. I knew that cows milk was a little trickier to freeze and didn't work out as well.

I would also plan on making yougurt, kefir and whatever else I can with the milk we get. My family loves to drink milk straight and I was wondering how many of you do this? Oh and can you make goat butter?! I wold assume you can because it has the cream in it.

Thanks again, please keep commenting!
#8 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's hard to make goat milk butter because goat milk is naturally homogenized. The cream doesn't separate out easily the way it does with cow's milk. I know it CAN be made because Meyenberg Farms (of the famous canned, powdered, or UHT goat milk) sells goat milk butter, but my guess is that they need machines to separate out the cream from the milk. They probably also can't get ALL the cream out because they sell whole milk and 2%, not skim. I suspect they'd sell skim milk if they were able to produce it.

If you want to make butter, you'll want some cow's milk. Alternating the two (getting some cow milk and some goat milk) sounds like your best option.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#9 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 PM

Yup, we use a cream separator to get our goat butter. And it's weird...because the milk that comes out is DEFINITELY not skim but the cream is the thickest you have ever seen. Like, you put it in the refrigerator and 10 minutes later it is solid. It's heavier than any heavy cream you can buy.

There's also very little buttermilk when you make butter.

I actually bought butter from a nearby cow owner before we got our cream separator.

You can leave goat's milk in the fridge for about a week and some of the cream will rise to the top. Then you skim it off and after doing this a few times, you should have enough to make some butter. The flavor is very very very mild...like creamy nothingness.
#10 of 13 Old 10-19-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staciemao View Post
Yup, we use a cream separator to get our goat butter. And it's weird...because the milk that comes out is DEFINITELY not skim but the cream is the thickest you have ever seen. Like, you put it in the refrigerator and 10 minutes later it is solid. It's heavier than any heavy cream you can buy.

You can leave goat's milk in the fridge for about a week and some of the cream will rise to the top. Then you skim it off and after doing this a few times, you should have enough to make some butter. The flavor is very very very mild...like creamy nothingness.

Wow, this is great info thanks Staciemao!

I would really love to do the Goat Milk but the price still irks me! If I bought 2 gallons a week that would cost $24.00 dollars a week! Wow thats a lot. Does that sound like a lot to some of you?

I wish I lived closer to the raw cows milk, how long would you say raw milk keeps for?
#11 of 13 Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

SO I am thinking I might join in on the milk runs and possibly do the goat milk during the off weeks depending on how often we do the runs.
#12 of 13 Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantinglysimple View Post
I wish I lived closer to the raw cows milk, how long would you say raw milk keeps for?
Raw milk generally keeps about a week, unfrozen. Sometimes 2 weeks. Sometimes only a few days. It depends on which bacteria are in it. After that it's just soured, which is fine, but probably not fun to drink. And probably has too many competing bacteria in it to be cultured into kefir or yogurt. But great for baking!

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#13 of 13 Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 AM

The goats milk certainly sounds *WAY* expensive to me, but, then I pay abuot $5.36 per gallon of raw cows' milk - I too have a bit of a drive (25-30~ minutes), but its so worth it. Plus most weeks my mom picks it up on her way down to watch my DS, so I don't *usually* have to drive to get it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page