Mothering Forum banner

help! i'm paniking about the mold spores from saurkraut that i breathed in by accident!

560 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  salmontree 
#1 ·
help! i really need someone to reasure me about mold flying up from the sink! i just skimmed off the mold from the top of the saurkraut there was alot it was green and white, i tipped it into the sink so i could turn on the waste disposal. i ran the water tap and then the mold spores started flying up - i just totally forget that it was like tiny powder spores and i must have breathed them in, i'm totally paniking now that its going to be a problem. dd was in the kitchen aswell, i don't know whether i'm just panicking irrataionally or if its something to worry about for real, but i just remember reading about how a man died from shovelling his compost heap and the mold spores that he breathed in gave him a serious lung problem and they took hold of his breathing withing 24hrs. i can't remember what the mold was called but i'm totatlly panicking about this. can anyone reasure me? is there anything i should do now? help i'm so stressed and having pmt isn't helping my anxiety!!

#4 ·
wow! I'd never realized that handling my compost could be so risky! OMG I was doing the exact same thing this fall.. Opening bags of compost that had been sitting for many months and dumping them on the compost heap and while it was a royally stinky affair I had no idea it could have been deadly!

It does sound like the man was more vulnerable than average because he was a smoker and a welder.

OP I imagine that you will be fine. I'm sure that the amount of mold from your sauerkraut was nothing near the large clouds described in the article. I would probably be a goner if your experience was really a serious danger.. I can't count how many times mold spores have floated around my kitchen when I'm trying to dispose of moldy foodstuffs.

I will however, be exercising more caution around dumping moldy compost.. yikes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.