fasting and nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of the similarities among groups that Price observed was a form of fasting:
Quote:
Each group observed periods of partial abstinence from food, or regulated periods of under-eating. For some, this came about as a natural result of summer crops being in short supply before the new crops were harvested. For others, certain rituals began or ended with days of fasting. Still others taught the value of periodic under-eating by taboos or other means.
Do you think this applied even while nursing? Nursing a toddler? How about with adrenal fatigue?

I'm guessing that partial fasting wouldn't be that bad while nursing a 2yo, and I keep coming across the benefits of fasting. It's not something I've ever done before, so I'm trying to chart the new territory

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#2 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 PM

Fasting while nursing is a bad idea- when you detox, all of the toxins escape through fluids (ie: breastmilk).

I'm sad as well. I want to do a raw diet detox but can't yet.
#3 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

My goal isn't detox so much as improving digestion. I wonder about fast-5 sometimes too - then there isn't really a reduction in calories, but your gut still gets a break. But then I worry about my blood sugar and adrenals.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#4 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 11:58 PM

Muslims fast during the day (sunup to sundown) for one month out of the year.

It does change your perspective on food, it helps you realize how *little* you really need to survive. Doing it while nursing a toddler is no big deal. Can't say about improving digestion, I tend to fast for reasons other than that.
#5 of 8 Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 PM

FYI nursing Muslim mamas generally do not fast during Ramadan. Neither do pregnant women, very young children, the very old, or the very ill.
#6 of 8 Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 PM

I would also advise caution if you have any kind of overeating/emotional eating disorder, or you think you might be kind of on that spectrum. I found fasting to be easy from a "just not eating" perspective, but it made me obsess about food a lot more and was entirely counterproductive for weight loss and healthy eating habits. Once I get my overeating in hand I may try again, because it does make you FEEL very good, but it wasn't good for my brain's relationship with food.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#7 of 8 Old 10-30-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
My goal isn't detox so much as improving digestion. I wonder about fast-5 sometimes too - then there isn't really a reduction in calories, but your gut still gets a break. But then I worry about my blood sugar and adrenals.
I tried fast 5 toward while I was nursing my almost-two-year-old. She was only nursing a couple of times a day and I wasn't worried about detoxing. Really, nursing moms fast all the time when they're sick out of necessity, and it doesn't seem to bother nurslings at all, so I personally think that the worries about detoxing through BM while fasting are overblown Anyhow, I can't say that fast 5 improved my digestion (which is why I was doing it) but it didn't cause blood sugar problems, and I do tend to be prone to blood sugar problems.
#8 of 8 Old 10-31-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Really, nursing moms fast all the time when they're sick out of necessity, and it doesn't seem to bother nurslings at all, so I personally think that the worries about detoxing through BM while fasting are overblown
I tend to agree with you. I have a good friend who's an herbalist and she says that toxins really don't leave through breastmilk that much. That's what we have a liver and kidney's for.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page