Does Kombucha contain caffeine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know? The recipe calls for black tea......I don't drink any caffeine and I get such a nice buzz from Kombucha so I'm thinking it doesn't, and hoping it doesn't. But how could it not when black tea is used? Also, my kids LOVE it and I don't really want them taking in caffeine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM

Yes, kombucha does contain caffeine. A lot of people will say the caffeine is used in the fermentation, but it's not. Most of the caffeine stays in the kombucha.
#3 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 06:06 PM

You could use green tea or white tea instead of black. I use organic green tea and I never get any kind of "caffeine" kick from mine.
#4 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Someone may correct me (please do!) but I think the amount of tea leaves used is less than when brewing a normal cup of tea, so if I'm remembering that right, then the amount would be somewhat less than normal black tea.
#5 of 6 Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM

I just found that GT's organic raw kombucha at the grocery store last night. Is this just as good as making my own? I am so entrenched in thinking that there couldn't possibly be something prepared that I could buy in a store that would be as good for you, but the ingredients seem like that is all it is.

And could I give it to my 4 yo??? He's never had caffeine ever in his entire life!
#6 of 6 Old 11-06-2008, 03:34 PM

A trick I learned: before brewing the tea for kombucha, put the tea in a separate cup of hot water and let it steep for 45-60 seconds. Remove the tea and place it in the water for the kombucha. I've had several caffeine sensitive people insist that they are able to consume tea/kombucha with no problems using this method as the vast majority of the caffeine releases during that first minute.

I use this method myself since I have a LO I'm nursing and I don't need him bouncing off the walls!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page