coconut oil and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any reason not to have coconut oil during pregnancy? Regretfully, I've haven't been as TF as I would have liked during this pregnancy, mostly because of a tough first trimester. I started eating a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil per day last week, but I wasn't sure if it was a good thing to start 5 months pregnant. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The only reason not to eat coconut oil during pg would be if it didn't agree with you or your "gut feeling" told you it wasn't a good choice for right now- those can be indications that your baby may not tolerate coconut. PG women get food aversions for a reason, and it's wise to listen to them.

But overall, coconut oil is a wholesome, real food- and if you and baby are tolerating it just fine then go ahead and enjoy it!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#3 of 6 Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM

there is nothing dangerous about coconut oil if that is what you are asking, unles you or your kids are allergic to it. it is simply a food, i don't think of it as a supplement or anything so it's not something you have to worry about taking during pregnancy. i will say that i have allergic reactions to fresh, young coconut flesha nd milk but not to coconut oil.
#4 of 6 Old 11-05-2008, 01:44 PM

The only thing I could imagine being a problem with coconut would be the way it boosts the metabolism, so IF you're having a hard time gaining enough weight, it could maybe exacerbate that. But I don't know if it's that much of a boost. Maybe it just boosts people that need it, but doesn't do that if your metabolism is already good.

As for potential allergies... I'm allergic to coconut, but don't react to coconut oil at all. Soy oil is a huge problem for me (not that I care), due to my soy allergy, so I find it interesting that coconut oil doesn't cause me any trouble.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#5 of 6 Old 11-05-2008, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. This might sound like a dumb question - but should you start coconut oil slowly? I started 2 tbsp per day 5 days ago and I have been feeling very tired, lethargic and yesterday I noticed my heart was beating very fast. I also noticed my weight is down 2 lbs. Today, I didn't have any and I do feel a better. Normally, I tolerate coconut oil very well and it kept me very healthy last year. I'm not sure if my body is telling me not to have any during pregnancy.
#6 of 6 Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 PM

I'd say go easy on it if you haven't had it. That goes for nearly everything out there..

In pregnancy in particular I'd really go by how I feel and whether it tastes good. It's almost completely out of my diet this pregnancy, it just doesn't taste good to me now.

Also, some people experience dieoff after starting coconut oil - and what you're going through might be that. Starting it slower is the way to deal.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page