TF isn't making us any healthier - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No advice here but I do feel your pain. It really annoys me that my oldest, who was mostly formula fed, started solids at 14 weeks, partially vaxxed etc is my kid who gets sick the least, is the brightest etc.
I try to look at it as, I am very glad that I bf my kids, feed them the best diet I can, because imagine how often they'd be ill if I didn't. But it is hard not to be cross and they are basically healthy happy kids.

I hope you can find some answers.

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 10:46 AM

I still think that the GAPS diet and protocol would heal her. It includes a detox regimen, which I agree, is crucial. The protocol will also contribute to energy healing although the author does not mention this, of course. Plus GAPS fits your daughters symptoms perfectly. You seem to think that yours is a rare situation, which is a very lonely place to be-- but you are not the first or only mom who has dealt with this sort of situation! you don't have to be alone.

As far as the detox part of GAPS goes, we juiced daily with fresh beets and I can't remember what other veggies-- celery, a little carrot, cilantro, others-- there are all kinds of combinations you can try, depending-- anyway, juicing was huge for us in detoxing and chelating.

The author explains what to do if your child has multiple allergies and sensitivities to things like eggs. It's covered in the book, since most GAPS kids have these allergies. I don't see what you have to lose by just reading the book.

You can't just have her eat around her food sensitivities forever, that's like never fixing a broken leg, but just keeping the weight off of it for the rest of your life-- the allergy is a symptom of a gut which is in crisis mode. And more than likely, more and more allergies will crop up if she nevers treats the root of the issue. Her ability to digest needs to be healed. Until then, it doesn't matter how healthy the food you give her is, she can barely digest it. She isn't getting the nutrients from it. I believe that it would be almost impossible to fix that digestion issue without a GAPS diet. Homeopathy or acupunture might be able to do it, maybe, although they would probably want her on a restrictive diet too, for the short-term, but you aren't able or willing to try those options. I think reading the GAPS book would shed a lot of light for you on what is actually going on on a physiological level, and then from there you can decide what way would be best to support and heal the failing systems.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 11-07-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hugs to you, caedmyn. I know you've been at this for a loooong time. I'm sorry the palate expanding didn't work. Fwiw, we had to stop the CS for it because it was too much money & as you know, we ended up getting palate expanders for Dd1. They've worked beautifully & have been complimented by CS & a TF diet. Bottom line for me is, we didn't have to do any extractions & she has a nice smile. There's a lot of give & take & some things we just have to compromise on & let it go.

I still have unresolved issues which I think are food related. It's VERY frustrating to not be able to pin it down. I just started my food journal back up this morning. I haven't even gotten into salicylates or amines, it's just too much for me right now. I do know that grains/carbs/sugar/caffeine mess up *my* body. I feel shaky & mentally unwell when I have them.

I probably have heavy metals too, but am still nursing so am waiting to check into that later.

The biggest thing for me has been healing my adrenals. It's been a really long journey, but the healing has been profound. The complete loss of anxiety has been life-changing & there's no doubt in my mind that this was the first step I needed to take in order to heal my entire body. I know Dd1 has adrenal insufficiency too & I'm tempted to have her tested just to prove it to exdp. Hormones are such a strong part of our bodies & lives & when they're out of whack, nothing can work correctly. I've also made the decision to start Dd1 on glandulars.
I don't know if this will help your Dd, but you'd likely benefit. The emotional/mental healing has just been so intense. If we mamas are suffering from adrenal insufficiency, our babies will also likely have adrenal weakness right from birth.

I don't know if any of that helped, but know that you're not alone.

I do know, deep down in my heart, that my kids are getting SOOOOO much more from their diet than they would if they were on the SAD diet, even if they get a cavity or an illness now & then.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I still think that the GAPS diet and protocol would heal her. It includes a detox regimen, which I agree, is crucial. The protocol will also contribute to energy healing although the author does not mention this, of course. Plus GAPS fits your daughters symptoms perfectly. You seem to think that yours is a rare situation, which is a very lonely place to be-- but you are not the first or only mom who has dealt with this sort of situation! you don't have to be alone.

As far as the detox part of GAPS goes, we juiced daily with fresh beets and I can't remember what other veggies-- celery, a little carrot, cilantro, others-- there are all kinds of combinations you can try, depending-- anyway, juicing was huge for us in detoxing and chelating.

The author explains what to do if your child has multiple allergies and sensitivities to things like eggs. It's covered in the book, since most GAPS kids have these allergies. I don't see what you have to lose by just reading the book.

You can't just have her eat around her food sensitivities forever, that's like never fixing a broken leg, but just keeping the weight off of it for the rest of your life-- the allergy is a symptom of a gut which is in crisis mode. And more than likely, more and more allergies will crop up if she nevers treats the root of the issue. Her ability to digest needs to be healed. Until then, it doesn't matter how healthy the food you give her is, she can barely digest it. She isn't getting the nutrients from it. I believe that it would be almost impossible to fix that digestion issue without a GAPS diet. Homeopathy or acupunture might be able to do it, maybe, although they would probably want her on a restrictive diet too, for the short-term, but you aren't able or willing to try those options. I think reading the GAPS book would shed a lot of light for you on what is actually going on on a physiological level, and then from there you can decide what way would be best to support and heal the failing systems.
I spent more than a year trying to heal the gut with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and then the candida diet. Both look very similar to the GAPS diet, except it looks more regimented than SCD and allows more foods than the candida diet. At the end of that time I was WORSE than I had been, and DD had not only not healed from any of her food intolerances, she'd developed new ones. At this point I really don't have a whole lot of faith in diets to "heal the gut". Certain probiotics and supplements helped us more and are a lot easier than gut-healing diets. Sure they work for some people, but they don't work for a lot of people, and many of the people they work for start having problems again soon after they go off the diet or add more foods in.

And my DD seriously would not have hardly anything to eat if I tried GAPS with her. She doesn't tolerate eggs or nuts or seeds. She can only have very limited amounts of fruits other than pears. She can't have honey. There's a lot of vegetables that she can only have in small amounts. I doubt she'd tolerate much juice even if it was only vegetable juice, and she certainly wouldn't tolerate any herbs juiced or fruit juices--I tried giving her less than an ounce a day of cherry juice and that was too much. I don't think it would be either fair or good for her to restrict her to a diet of meat, bone broth, a few veggies and pears, and butter or ghee.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I spent more than a year trying to heal the gut with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and then the candida diet. Both look very similar to the GAPS diet, except it looks more regimented than SCD and allows more foods than the candida diet. At the end of that time I was WORSE than I had been, and DD had not only not healed from any of her food intolerances, she'd developed new ones. At this point I really don't have a whole lot of faith in diets to "heal the gut". Certain probiotics and supplements helped us more and are a lot easier than gut-healing diets. Sure they work for some people, but they don't work for a lot of people, and many of the people they work for start having problems again soon after they go off the diet or add more foods in.

And my DD seriously would not have hardly anything to eat if I tried GAPS with her.
I get that you have a strong frustration with "gut healing" type diets, and I understand, given your experience. It is very frustrating trying so many things-- that are stressful enough to do-- and they don't work. And then someone says if you did it just a little differently it would work this time? Yeah, I know. But I will answer the concerns you mentioned above, anyway, just in case other people reading are interested.

The SCD (Specific Carb Diet) was a rudimentary precursor to the GAPS diet (and protocol! It's not just a diet!) We also did SCD first, and I tried a Candida diet for myself, too. SCD seemed a bit like bungling around in the dark compared to the lucid and logical GAPS program. So just because the SCD and/or Candida diets didn't work, doesn't mean the GAPS program won't work for you. The British doctor who wrote the GAPS book explains in detail what is really going on at the root of the problem-- things that the author of "Breaking The Vicious Cycle" (the SCD book) didn't understand and was basically just guessing at through trial and error (and God bless for it, she helped pave the way for further research). This is what I love about the GAPS book-- even if you don't ultimately follow the diet, understanding so clearly the physiology behind the symptoms makes it much easier to decide what you can do to fix the issues.

As far as the sensitivities to food, I believe that she would have you reintroduce certain foods that your daughter still reacts to. Now, I don't rememebr this exactly because I haven't read the book in a while and I don't have it anymore. But I remember this is what we did. Yes you will get some strong reactions in the first few days, and then they subside and healing begins. My son used to get big red splotchy cheeks from eating eggs. I reintroduced eggs anyway and the first couple days were quite hard, yes they were! But after the first few days he stopped reacting to them. I believe she discusses which allergic reactions to go ahead and "ignore" in this instance and which are more serious. I know I felt I had a good understanding of what I could do and how to work with my son's sensitivities after reading the book. Again, I don't think it would hurt to read the book.

BTW, I agree that a diet on its own probably cannot heal the gut. The diet is simply a way to give the gut a break from foods that are causing damage, so that other kinds of healing actions (like detox programs and probiotic supplements and other modalities) can take affect. This is why I try to always say GAPS diet and protocol or GAPS program. It is more than a diet.

I can't explain any of this as well as she can, because I am not a doctor of nutrition and neuroscience like she is!

Do I think that the GAPS program is always necessary to healing GAPS symptoms? Not always, but the only alternatives I know of involve energy healing and/or Chinese Medicine (like acupuncture etc.) Homeopathy might work too, with a really experienced homeopathist. But these thigns are expensive and often dependent on the skill and knowledge level of the practitioner. The GAPS program seems to be less expensive and you can research it and do it yourself.

But either way, I just want to say I really feel for where you are right now, it's really hard and so frustrating. I just really want you to get to the other side! I hope you find a way to, one way or another.

Oh, if you are interested in doing energy work without the help of a practitioner (thereby saving money), you might look into EFT, which is free, or the Energy Medicine Kit by Donna Eden (start with the kit first, not the huge book), and/or the book Feelings Buried Alive Never Die by Karol K. Truman which is great and can be purchased used to save even more money.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM

P.S. Any new approach or modality that you try or start is more likely to really work if you start it during the new moon cycle. My life has been so much easier since I realized this! I used to have a habit of starting things during the balsamic phase of the moon (about a week and a half after the full moon and a few days before the new moon) and so I had all of these unfinished and unsuccessful projects-- diets that didn't work, knitting and sewing projects that are still sitting around, story concepts that didn't pan out, you name it. Now I just take notes during the waning period, and then I can reevaluate and really start things when the energy is right. Just a thought!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
As far as the sensitivities to food, I believe that she would have you reintroduce certain foods that your daughter still reacts to. Now, I don't rememebr this exactly because I haven't read the book in a while and I don't have it anymore. But I remember this is what we did. Yes you will get some strong reactions in the first few days, and then they subside and healing begins. My son used to get big red splotchy cheeks from eating eggs. I reintroduced eggs anyway and the first couple days were quite hard, yes they were! But after the first few days he stopped reacting to them. I believe she discusses which allergic reactions to go ahead and "ignore" in this instance and which are more serious.
I don't think I could do this to my child. Whenever I've "reintroduced" foods to one of my food intolerant children, they don't get better. They get worse and worse. I understand perfectly where caedmyn is coming from. There are some people in my family who think it's cruel to "keep" foods from my son, because they think all kids (at 8yo) have tantrums, cry over nothing, wet the bed, get a rash over his lip, scream at night, etc. But when he's off those foods, it's a big difference. And I can tell when he's had something. And it would be cruel of me to keep giving him those foods, and keep damaging his gut. We keep him off the foods, and we're also doing healing. We do bone broths, and pasture fed meat and all that.

And I understand the frustration of eating better than almost everyone I know, yet my kids have food intolerances. Why? And why do they seem to lose more foods instead of gain them? I think in my case, I may have found the answer: yeast. And I'm doing the anti-yeast diet AND many supplements. But it's not necessarily caedmyn's issue. And what's right for healing one body isn't necessarily the same for someone else.

I wish I had some answers for you. But I just want to commisserate with you. I feel for you. Truly I do.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I don't think I could do this to my child. Whenever I've "reintroduced" foods to one of my food intolerant children, they don't get better. They get worse and worse. I understand perfectly where caedmyn is coming from. There are some people in my family who think it's cruel to "keep" foods from my son, because they think all kids (at 8yo) have tantrums, cry over nothing, wet the bed, get a rash over his lip, scream at night, etc. But when he's off those foods, it's a big difference. And I can tell when he's had something. And it would be cruel of me to keep giving him those foods, and keep damaging his gut. We keep him off the foods, and we're also doing healing. We do bone broths, and pasture fed meat and all that.
I completely agree. DD reacts to all of her food intolerances except dairy with digestive symptoms. Last year we did an egg trial that lasted for a month, and for whatever reason I did not realize until the end of it that the eggs were causing frequent diarrhea (probably because she hadn't had digestive problems from eggs in the past so I was looking for other symptoms). Her digestion is still not back to normal over a year later. So I do not mess with giving her things that cause digestive problems--if she starts getting mushy poops from something, I either stop giving her the food entirely (in the case of foods she's reacted to in the past) or give it to her very infrequently (in the case of things like legumes & whole grains that I don't think she's actually intolerant to). DH seems to think if I just keep giving her a food she'll "adjust" to it eventually, but it hasn't happened in the past and I don't know why it would happen now.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:

As far as the sensitivities to food, I believe that she would have you reintroduce certain foods that your daughter still reacts to.
Interestingly, this is basically what "allergy shots" do. And they are doing experimental micro-dosing to desensitize kids from anaphylaxis peanut allergies, locally. http://dukemedmag.duke.edu/assets/ar...rgy_Action.pdf

I appreciate you sharing about the GAPS protocal. I'm going to read up more about it. I'm intrigued. My passions are classical homeopathy and probiotics. And, I've seen benefits from rotational diets for healing. The physiology is fascinating to me.

Thanks!

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do a rotation diet with my kids, but it's the foods that are safe (to prevent more intolerances). I can't put any of their trigger foods in there.

And allergy shots may work for allergies, but is there a proven correlation with intolerances? My kids can have the smallest ingredient in something and it will effect them for 3-8 days. That one tiny little ingestion. And they don't get better. I thought I got all the trigger foods out, and my son was eating foods he was intolerant to for a year and a half, and reacting but I just didn't realize it. Should I have kept going with that?

I am feeding them as well as possible (TF-wise, everything from scratch, fermented foods, bone broth, etc.) and doing supplements for healing. I think it's helping the whole family be healthier -- my kids are a healthy weight, they do catch viruses but they don't seem to last as long in them as other kids, but it certainly doesn't protect them from everything.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 11-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Hi WuWei, I'm honored that something I wrote was helpful to you-- I've learned so much from you over the years I've been here!!! (I mostly just lurk on those threads though! )

As far as reintroducing problem foods, obviously if you did that by itself it could be harmful. But in the environment of the diet and the program, it's different. I mean, eventually you would have to reintroduce them to see if you had healed the allergy, right? Or is the point, for you, to avoid those foods for the rest of her life? For me, the goal was to heal my boys of their allergies. My youngest son used to break out in hives (that would sometimes break open and get bloody when he itched them!) when he had even just a little wheat. (This happened once when he ate a goldfish cracker off the floor in a public building, on the sly!)

I just fed him pancakes for breakfast. Sourdough wheat pancakes. If I drop him off with the babysitter, I let her feed him goldfish crackers. No reaction anymore. Same with my older son, both have been healed from their very serious allergies. So it is possible.

One thing I have heard done is to take the offending food product-- say, a slice of bread or cheese-- and lay it against the person's skin while doing energy work, such as reiki massage for instance, to help the person incorporate that food's energy. I think that at the energetic/spiritual root of food intolerances and allergies, the fact is that the spiritual body is rejecting the energy of the food because the energies are not in harmony. So for me a big part of healing was trying to bring my body back into an energetic balance-- back into harmony with foods that my ancestors traditionally ate without issues. If that's too woo-woo for some people, I completely understand, but I thought I'd put it out there!

I started thinking about the symbolic and energetic qualities of food after reading Full Moon Feast (although the book only touches on the idea, really). It started me thinking in a new direction. For instance, if dairy products in general are a symbol of nurturing and womanhood--mothering energy-- what was the meaning of a person's energies not being in harmony with that nurturing energy? If wheat symbolizes a support system, the staff of life-- that which holds you up when you're weak-- traditionally, not the mainstay of diet but something that can be relied on in hard times-- then what does that say about the energy of a person who can't tolerate wheat? And so on. Very interesting to me, anyway.

It seemed to me, and I could be wrong, of course, that the boys' allergies weren't so much based on their own issues, but were facets of my own issues which had imprinted on them during pregnancy and birth and infancy, based on what I was radiating most at those times. I never did any energy work with the boys (beyond some flower essences!)-- they wouldn't hold still for anything else!-- but just fixing my own energy imbalances seemed to influence them directly in their healing.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:51 PM

Our homeopath recommends that we do NOT avoid foods which cause intolerances. We are on classical homeopathy. Similarly, there are homeopatic "Bio-Allers" which allow folks to consume foods of which they were previously intolerant. http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Bioaller...-Dairy-705-1oz They are a "shotgun" approach, rather than individual specific remedies.

I'm inclined to think that frequent and repetitive exposures to limited foods, could INCREASE the intolerance to those limited foods, from everything I've learned.

Dh had severe allergies (despite allergy shots years ago) and severe asthma before homeopathy. Now, he doesn't have asthma and doesn't require repeated medicinal treatment of allergies. Plus, he was horribly allergic to cats, and now we have seven cats, and they sleep in our bedroom even.

I also agree, that addressing MY health issues with homeopathy has helped our whole family. We are all interconnected energetically.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I started thinking about the symbolic and energetic qualities of food after reading Full Moon Feast (although the book only touches on the idea, really). It started me thinking in a new direction. For instance, if dairy products in general are a symbol of nurturing and womanhood--mothering energy-- what was the meaning of a person's energies not being in harmony with that nurturing energy? If wheat symbolizes a support system, the staff of life-- that which holds you up when you're weak-- traditionally, not the mainstay of diet but something that can be relied on in hard times-- then what does that say about the energy of a person who can't tolerate wheat? And so on. Very interesting to me, anyway.
Wow.

That really makes sense to me. I don't even know where to begin to USE that info, though. And then, what does unfermented soy represent? (Not that it matters much, I suppose, but it is hard to avoid in convenience foods.) I am absolutely intolerant of regular soy, even soy oil, but fermented soy, like in soy sauce, is fine. And coconut... I still cry for my precious coconut. What on earth would that represent? And eggs... why are they ok in baked goods but not when just plain (even raw yolks cause me trouble.)

But, yeah, the wheat and dairy really hit home. Yikes. Hmmm... I could happily live without gluten, but it'd be great to get the other things back. And... my son gets diarrhea from pasteurized milk... so, mother's energy and nurturing, but... deadened?

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
Old 11-09-2008, 01:44 AM

Valerie, I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have been there with you experimenting with diet and supplements and it is hard on us emotionally and physically worrying about our DC all the time. Financially it is expensive to keep trying new diets and new supplements!

It is impossible to know how dramatically you have helped your DD, but you have!! Is it possible for you to just keep the status quo (if she is doing all right) and not try anything new until you regain your energy, give yourself time to greet your new baby? Can you give yourself a complete mental break from thinking about diet for a few days, or a few weeks? I have used EFT on and off because I have felt guilty about DS's health problems even though I know I have done the best that I could.

My DS is doing pretty well, he gets a lot of colds but he is rash free for the most part, his teeth are good and he is growing well. He is on a semi restricted diet, takes probiotics, digestive enzymes, and carnitine. I stopped being aggressive because I just did not have the energy and he is doing pretty well, nothing like the rashes he used to get.

We create our own reality.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:44 AM

I had to leave a quick comment about egg allergies.
I am not allergic myself, but I have looked into this some.
There seems to be a strong correlation between what the chicken is fed and injected with, and the allergy.
For example, the soy allergy. Chicken feed often contains soy. THe eggs that we get from the store come from chickens that are fed a diet of GM soy, corn and yellow food coloring. They also recieve antibiotics.
By the way, chickens that are commercialy raised for meat, are fed arsenic to destroy their thyroids so they will fatten up well.
I was shocked when I heard that, but the facts are fully backed up.
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Unfermented soy? Represents complete greed and rape of the land, my people--as well as the exploitation of a nation's ignorance about what food is supposed to be.

I like all the ideas about the energy work. I think a lot about that myself, especially as I was dosed with hormones to conceive my twins in vitro (what a moron i was--i should have just eaten some fat!) and SCARED to death by the medical establishment. The supplements I took while pregnant, in addition to a multi--tons of emergenC and tons of trader joes fish oil...and what do they react to most recently? Salicylates and amines. Gluten and dairy? I was a vegetarian for years, and that's basically all I ate. We did awesome for two years on nuts and eggs--food I never ate....

Anyway, I realized after 2 years of classical homeopathy that I was masking my girls'symptoms by being gluten and dairy etc free. But it took going failsafe and getting down to four food before I decided to try to add things back in. I still back off of amines if we have a severe reaction.... I was completely AFRAID of food and of my children's symptoms. But the symptoms are the key....

But I just have to reiterate my good fortune with homeopathy. My higher potencies came two days ago, and my twins, who sometimes freak out when someone holds a door open for us, were gladly talking to near strangers today, calmly, happily, like the children i'd always envisioned. that may sound sad or harsh, but they were "free" in a way they haven't been. i know it'll still be up and down, and many people are scared of high potencies, but i'm seeing it as the answer for us.

High potencies and energy work, and being there for each other as we figure it out, because, as I'm sure you all are seeing, these issues are EVERYWHERE.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena View Post
The supplements I took while pregnant, in addition to a multi--tons of emergenC and tons of trader joes fish oil...and what do they react to most recently? Salicylates and amines.
I have to say...I doubt your twins react to food chemicals because of things you ate when pregnant. I've done a lot of research into the causes of food chemical sensitivity, and in most cases I believe it's genetic. There's quite a lot of evidence that it is, and very little evidence other than anecdotes that it isn't. That's why it tends to run in families. That's not to say that other things don't affect how sensitive someone is to food chemicals, and sometimes things like a chemical overload can trigger it. On one of the Failsafe yahoo groups I belonged to, several of the members got themselves or their children genetically tested using Dr. Amy Yasko's genetic screening. Before they got their results back the list owner could generally predict what genes they had based on what they reacted to and their symptoms. That was pretty convincing to me. To some degree you can increase food chemical tolerance by eating/supplementing with more of certain nutrients, but not past the inherent limits of your particular genetics.

Also, people are supposed to react to amines and salicylates at some level. It's not a matter of, "If you're really healthy you can eat unlimited amounts of food chemicals." All food chemicals have to be detoxed and everyone has a finite capacity to detox them, particularly in the case of salicylates. The Royal Price Alfred Hospital in New Zealand has done testing to see what the median salicylate tolerance is for people and it really isn't terribly high for the majority of people. Not nearly Failsafe level, but low enough that eating lots of almonds, berries, honey, coconut oil, and other "healthy TF" foods regularly is probably enough to put most people over their detox capacity.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:34 PM

TF seems to "work" for my DD in the sense that she doesn't get sick any more or less than other kids, her teeth are coming in pretty wonderfully considering she was born with a cleft palate (not due to my diet- due to a rare chromosome disorder) and overall she's just a generally happy go lucky kid.

Me, on the other hand. When I ate more or less a SAD-except I never did lowfat anything, and ate more veggies than SAD, but a TON of sugar and fast food- and drank a substantial amount of alcohol, I was sick less than I am now. I think I had three YEARS straight with not so much as a sniffle. It wasn't until last winter, when I'd been eating TF for about 2 yrs, that I began getting viral infections again. I feel like just eating Fritos and Little Debbies and popping a couple CLOs once in a while.

ETA: as I'm typing this, DD is eating grassfed butter straight, and has been for the past 1/2 hour. :

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena View Post
Unfermented soy? Represents complete greed and rape of the land, my people--as well as the exploitation of a nation's ignorance about what food is supposed to be.

I like all the ideas about the energy work. I think a lot about that myself, especially as I was dosed with hormones to conceive my twins in vitro (what a moron i was--i should have just eaten some fat!) and SCARED to death by the medical establishment. The supplements I took while pregnant, in addition to a multi--tons of emergenC and tons of trader joes fish oil...and what do they react to most recently? Salicylates and amines. Gluten and dairy? I was a vegetarian for years, and that's basically all I ate. We did awesome for two years on nuts and eggs--food I never ate....

Anyway, I realized after 2 years of classical homeopathy that I was masking my girls'symptoms by being gluten and dairy etc free. But it took going failsafe and getting down to four food before I decided to try to add things back in. I still back off of amines if we have a severe reaction.... I was completely AFRAID of food and of my children's symptoms. But the symptoms are the key....

But I just have to reiterate my good fortune with homeopathy. My higher potencies came two days ago, and my twins, who sometimes freak out when someone holds a door open for us, were gladly talking to near strangers today, calmly, happily, like the children i'd always envisioned. that may sound sad or harsh, but they were "free" in a way they haven't been. i know it'll still be up and down, and many people are scared of high potencies, but i'm seeing it as the answer for us.

High potencies and energy work, and being there for each other as we figure it out, because, as I'm sure you all are seeing, these issues are EVERYWHERE.
would love to know what "higher potencies" are !
Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I've done a lot of research into the causes of food chemical sensitivity, and in most cases I believe it's genetic. There's quite a lot of evidence that it is, and very little evidence other than anecdotes that it isn't. That's why it tends to run in families.
I'm just a lurker, but classic IgE mediated issues have a tendency to be hereditary as well. Not just food allergies, but any atopic condition. A parent who has a history of drug, environmental or food allergies, asthma or eczema has a higher likelihood of passing any of those tendencies (not necessarily the specific one the parent suffers) to their offspring.

User Tag List