Help, my water kefir smells like rotten eggs! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-05-2008, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just don't know what's wrong here. It was fine, and now it's suddenly turned sulfury. And really strong, too. My first thought is to split the grains (I have 5 Tbs. in a half gallon). I'll leave 3 Tbs. in the half gallon, and put 2 Tbs. in a quart. Does that sound right? And I'm thinking of resting them in filtered water for a day or so. How does that sound?

Any ideas on how this happened? I'm so careful. I use well water, and sometimes supplement with mineral water (is that too many minerals??) and agave nectar (we can't use cane sugar), and that's all. I've been really good about changing them out every 48 hrs. But lately a couple of times I let them go 72. I also forgot and left some pickles on the counter near them. Those are the only 2 things I've done that I can think of. But with my old grains, I did both of those things many times (not realizing that was a problem), and I never had THIS happen. They just kind of stopped growing eventually. They, too, have started smelling sulfury (from sitting next to the others?). This is soooo frustrating.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#2 of 2 Old 11-06-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any thoughts?

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page