checking out relatives palates - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 96 Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tell me more (or linkedy link me please) about the grey hair zinc copper HCl stuff. I am very curious. I first noticed grey hairs when I was (!!) 24 (!!), and feel like it was very premature. I was pregnant with my first baby, newly veg., and feel like maybe somehow it was related to a deficiency during that period. I've gotten a few more, but not very many.

Also, I keep hearing everyone talking about BO, but am wondering if it is really necessary if you eat plenty of raw pastured butter. Is it just the intensity of the the vitamin concentration in BO that makes it worthwhile?

Sorry for all the questions, perhaps I should start a new thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 96 Old 11-20-2008, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I did do the zinc sulfate and it does taste like really good water at first, then gets a metallic taste. The bottle says a delay indicates deficiency, so that's what I'm going with. I just haven't been that motivated to take it regularly for some reason.

I take pills (in a multi) so I don't have to deal with a weird-tasting liquid. It can be hard to take care of yourself, even when you know it's the way to a better place.

I'm sure we are low in copper as well.
I couldn't tell if FF meant copper deficient or copper toxic, since zinc and copper are antagonistic. I think my balance is off, but I don't think we're copper toxic (which can cause a lot of health problems).

Tanya, I agree with your take on the WAPF-supplementing thing, but somehow I always get talked down from it by my chapter leader. GAPS is her bible, which I haven't gotten through yet. Have you read that?
Our gut issues are mild, all things considered, so I haven't done a lot of reading on stuff like that, GAPS included. But it helps that I only know one person IRL who is serious about WAPF-type stuff. But I don't think we'd be getting better just by dealing with gut stuff or doing this only with food--those are important, and for some people that's most or all of the problem (interesting how the problems that manifest can be so similar and yet the solutions quite different) but I don't think it's ours. I am getting better by getting the metals out (mostly mercury, a fair amount of arsenic, lower amounts of other stuff)--so that's the proof I need. Which is a lot harder to figure out when you haven't started really seeing results yet, definitely.
#93 of 96 Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
Also, I keep hearing everyone talking about BO, but am wondering if it is really necessary if you eat plenty of raw pastured butter. Is it just the intensity of the the vitamin concentration in BO that makes it worthwhile?
I think that's the only difference (the vitamin concentration, I mean)--BO is raw, and has the nice cofactors that are in butter and the relatively high concentration of K2 that you'd need more pastured butter to get. But we consume no dairy (actually a small amount of ghee is okay, but it's really expensive so it's a treat and not a staple), and we have so many significant deficiencies to deal with anyway that just food won't cut it.

I think supplementing everything under the sun for fairly normal, healthy people isn't necessary, although Price did say that we, as a society, were only getting 10% of the A, D, and K2 that his healthy groups did, so I think extra care there is appropriate. But, I have found at least one thing for us that I don't think we could ever get enough of without supplementation, so I think being open to individual quirks that demand extra of certain nutrients is appropriate.
#94 of 96 Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Tanya, I agree with your take on the WAPF-supplementing thing, but somehow I always get talked down from it by my chapter leader. GAPS is her bible, which I haven't gotten through yet. Have you read that?
I was thinking in the shower about this. If you know you've got a metals problem, IMO, getting the metals out is key. A lot can be accomplished with gut health, but some of us have amounts of various metals in us that our bodies just cannot compensate for. It's really unnatural. And so I'm willing to pop pills for a few years to deal with it, and I don't think it's really incompatible with my desire to learn enough that we don't to visit a conventional doctor for a long, long time (never is unrealistic at this point).
#95 of 96 Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 PM

you can be low in zinc and low in copper, low in zinc and high in copper, OR low in zinc and toxic in copper. I know metals skew the taste test, I'm wondering outloud if it only skews it if you are actually at a borderline toxic range for copper or it other metals are involved. No real answers, just wondering.

Yes, copper and zinc balance each other, but it's possible to not have enough of either, and if your zinc is so low that you are off the chart your copper can be so high that it's off the chart in the other direction. There's just too many variables.
#96 of 96 Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 AM

just found this thread

btw very interesting about the nosebleeds....
I had them mildly as a child and some of my brothers had them more frequently...
now 2 of my ds's get nosebleeds...
I definately think it is a "family thing" but Iam going to read up more about too.

btw,I also learned alot from that old thread on nutrition. actually helped me a lot and steered me in the right direction...well worth going back to once in a while.

User Tag List