Looking for hummus recipe that tastes good w/o garlic... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a really flavorful hummus recipe that doesn't use garlic. I've only eaten hummus one time, because I had a reaction and I know it was the garlic, as it always makes me sick. However, I loved the taste and want to have it again!

I would prefer to cook and grind organic chick peas in my vitamix, but canned would work too. Does anyone have a fav recipe they would share?

Thanks! AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 AM

Have you tried it with just a little garlic powder instead of a raw garlic clove? I know sometimes it can be overpowering with raw. I've tried too many different recipes, I'll let someone else share their fav.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

No, I've actually never tried making it myself. I've been told that hummus without the garlic is just wrong! hehe. However, I'd love to be able to eat this amazing spread, just not get sick from it afterward! Trying a little powder may work though. I just hope it still tastes good. What I'm wondering is..if there's another spice or seasoning that could take the place of garlic?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:54 PM

i use mollie katzen's hummus recipe from moosewood cookbook. it is such a forgiving recipe. you really can easily omit garlic. it only calls for 2-3 cloves (tho i have made it with a head of roasted garlic for garlic lovers just as well).

it calls or 2 scallions, which i never have on hand and so have never included. but feel free if you have them!
a large handful of parsley--again, if you have it (in winter i don't, but in summer my hummus is quite green)
3 cups cooked chick peas
6 Tbsp tahini
6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 to 1tsp salt
optional cayenne and a little cumin to taste

as you blend/mash things together, start out with half of the lemon and tahini, so you can figure out how you like it. some people like more of one than the other. sometimes my Tbsp of tahini are a bit on the heaping side, and i might stir in a bit of olive oil (tsp or so) to smooth it out.

have fun, and good luck!

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 PM

I put cumin and coriander in mine. Maybe you could try extra of those? I can't really imagine it without the garlic, either though. :

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 PM

I always make mine with roasted red pepper, cumin and a little salt and pepper.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 AM

onion powder!

typically, i make mine with3 cloves raw garlic, chopped and mashed, a big splash of lemon juice, a splash of olive oil, 2 cans of chickpeas and whiz till smooth, then i add some black pepper, sesame seeds,. onion and garlic powder to tate and whiz again. finally i stir in a generous amount of tahini. that's my basic recipe, and my kids love it too, but i've also used these things: nutritional yeast & canned jalepenos whizzed in, chopped black olives stirred in at the end, roasted red pepper, curry powder, dried basil leaves. its fun to experiment with! :

(toddler sleeping in lap)
Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

OH wow, there are lots of interesting things you can do to hummus it sounds like!! Thanks for your replies. I love cumin and onion powder...corriander sounds interesting too. Jalepenos, mmmm, my mouth is watering.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences using canned vs homecooked garbanzos? Canned would be much easier, I think I'll try it that way first.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 AM

I make that stuff just about every day. I throw in anything I have around... sun dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, artichokes, etc. As long as you include the chick peas, sesame seeds or tahini, lemon juice, and cumin, I think you are OK.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
As long as you include the chick peas, sesame seeds or tahini, lemon juice, and cumin, I think you are OK.
I agree on the chick peas, tahini (although I have subbed almond butter on occasion), citrus juice (I often sub orange juice — makes it a bit sweeter, but the kids and I like it), but I don't like cumin in my hummus. I like cumin in other things (chili, etc), but not my hummus! I do like lotsa garlic (and salt!), but you can sub onions or just leave it out for a milder taste.

Canned chick peas are much easier. I make hummus all the time and get many compliments on mine. The essentials are chick peas and tahini, IMO.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 01-25-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlymama View Post
OH wow, there are lots of interesting things you can do to hummus it sounds like!! Thanks for your replies. I love cumin and onion powder...corriander sounds interesting too. Jalepenos, mmmm, my mouth is watering.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences using canned vs homecooked garbanzos? Canned would be much easier, I think I'll try it that way first.
canned is easy and we like it just fine. we eat a LOT of beans and ideally i would cook them from scratch, but i figure canned is better than eating packaged meals full of who knows what, and beans from dried are just not happening right now. you would want to add more salt to hummus from scratch beans and less to canned, of course. we eat hummus almost every day (probably the equiv. of 10 cans of chickpeas worth each week just in hummus), it's something easy i can have on hand to feed myself and the kids, essp my multilple food-sensitive little DS2....and sometimes i fry it up to make falafal too. yum!

to the PPs, huh, i've never had cumin in, that's funny!

toddler sleeping in lap again
Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazBlueMama View Post
Have you tried it with just a little garlic powder instead of a raw garlic clove? I know sometimes it can be overpowering with raw. I've tried too many different recipes, I'll let someone else share their fav.
this is what i was going to suggest! i often sub onion powder if we have no garlic powder and i'm feeling too lazy (or have a baby strapped to me) to dice up garlic cloves.

our recipe is olive oil, sesame seed oil, tahini, pepper, garlic (or onion) powder, a little water and the chickpeas. yum!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 PM

We use a little veg juice(v8 ish) in ours to help blend it, along w tahini, sesame oil, cumin, fresh cilantro, lemon, and chili flakes(when ds wont be eating it)....but w also use a TON of garlic

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 PM

I put jalapenos in mine. I usually take out most of the seeds, but keep some in as I like it spicy. If you take out ALL the seeds, and just put the jalapeno in, it won't be spicy, but will have a very "fresh" taste if that makes sense, lol.

I don't have an exact recipe, as I sort of wing it, tasting every few seconds. Usually, I'd say it's about 2 cups of chickpeas, 1/4 cup tahini (or more to taste), one or two whole lemons, salt, one jalapeno, and enough water to make it creamy.

I'm not "allowed" to use garlic as my partner hates it. But, I find I like it with jalapeno just as much.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 PM

I don't really follow a recipe. I just add stuff till it seems right tasting as I go.

I used to make it from dried chickpeas and purchased tahini. It was a lot of work cooking the chickpeas, and the tahini was expensive so I didn't make it often and we would purchase premade hummus. One day DH asked if we could save money making our own and I explained about the work cooking the chickpeas and the cost of tahini. After talking about it, we decides to switch to canned chickpeas, and grinding our own tahini from sesame seeds.

Things I've learned over the years of making hummus:
  • Though the traditional way to make hummus is to press the chickpeas through a strainer, it is much easier to put it in the food processor.
  • The strainer method actually is more important with home cooked chickpeas than with canned (this surprised me.)
  • Canned chickpeas are very varied from brand to brand.
  • Adding olive oil to the sesame seeds while grinding them into tahini makes it go much faster and easier.
  • It's almost impossible to make something that isn't at least edible.
  • Lemon juice varies widely in potency.
  • You can substitute cheaper sunflower seeds for some of the sesame seeds in the tahini.
Things I've learned from being a restraunt and supermarket hummus consumer:
  • Every region of every country around the Eastern Mediterranian makes hummus differently.
  • The freshness of the bread it served with has just as much to do with the enjoyment of the meal as the quality of the hummus.
My basic hummus recipe (note this is a huge batch, I freeze most of it in several container )
  • A few of cans of chickpeas drained.
  • A few handfuls of sesame seeds and a couple of handfuls of sunflower seeds ground with a few glugs of olive oil.
  • As much parsley as i can collect without killing the parsley plant on the window sill (actually it frost killed recently.
  • a few lemons worth of juice
  • a sprinkle of salt
  • several glugs of olive oil
AND
  • a couple of dozen cloves of garlic
Obviously the garlic is your issue. I would substitute another member of the onion family. I would avoid yellow onions since they are so sharp, and red onions since the have a distinctive flavor, so maybe white or pearl onions. If you use scallion the green tops could also take the place of the parsley. I wouldn't go with leeks, they are too bulky. Shallots would be very sutle.

Do all types of garlics upset your stomach? Elephant garlic is less hot and may work for you.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 AM

I just made a black bean hummus (and posted about it ). I didn't use any tahini since I have never had any hand. It would be tasty without any garlic. I used seasoning salt in mine for that final little kick.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:59 AM

I wanted to recommend a hummus mix powder that Whole Foods sells in their bulk section. OMG! it's amazing! I only need to add boiling water and mix in a blender with some salt to taste. Of course I have to add some spicy ingredient to make it hot because I love hot spicy but you didn't need to add any garlic.

Now I have a question regarding this mix, is this processed? or just dehydrated?

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :

User Tag List