any vegan diabetics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My neice found out she has type 1 diabeties about a year and a half ago and up until then her family was on the typical american diet, eating out a lot and not eating much in the way of "health" food. her diabeties is not the result of her diet but now she has to be careful what she eats, mostly counting carbs. my family is mostly vegn, eating all natural unprocessed foods. i have two young boys who hardly ever eat sweets, but on the occations that they do i always make them from scratch. now here is my problem when we go to family gathering i always bring food for my family and usually bring a dessert to share with everyone but because i won't use the chemical sweeteners that my neice eats my desserts are always high in carbs and she can't eat them.

just looking for any tips on making low carb, all natural desserts, that are vegan.

my sister in law always cracks jokes on how vegan food is not diabetic friendly, which can be true, but of greater concern to me is all the chemical sweeteners they give their daughter, and the rest of their family as a result of one child having diabeties. (she now treats her non-diabetic daughter as if she too has diabetis, I have heard her say "you have diabeties too" when she asks for something to eat, she is 14)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 04:16 PM

I don't have anything to share, but I have 3 close friends who are diabetic, and would like ideas for what to serve when they come for dinner.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know a whole lot and what I do know is for type 1 diabeties, not sure if it's different for type 2. Basically some foods are considered "free" because they have no carbs, or too few to matter, in a serving. These foods are meat, nuts, vegetables, cheese. All fruits, grains, and beans have carbs. My neice needs to count all carbs for any given meal/snack, she has a target range of about 40 carbs per meal. I know she needs some carbs, just not a lot. Also protein somehow helps with keeping her blood sugar in line, so she eats meat for protein and because it has no carbs. Most non-meat protein sources have carbs, i.e. beans, so she tends to lean on meat for protein. She almost never has potatoes, rice, pasta, popcorn, cookies, cakes, candy. Also I think whole grains have more carbs then refined, whole wheat flour has more carbs then white flour. With them they don't seem to care as much about how healthy something is as long as the carbs are low. Personally I would prefer something healthy with more carbs then something not so healthy with less carbs. (example whole wheat bread over white bread).
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM

I don't have any direct experience, but I do recall that Dr. Joel Furhman speaks of a vegan diabetic diet in Eat to Live (he refers to it, IIRC, as the greens and beans diet). I expect he goes into more detail in his newer works, but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 02-18-2009, 06:02 PM

well I am flirting with type 2, and a low fat vegan diet with tons of good ol carbs is the only thing that saves me from crossing into it full blown.
type 1 is a totally different beast though. the only thing I can say is that artificial sweeteners are dangerous and do not help you control your blood sugar, it just makes it worse. If she is type 1 she needs to be on insulin regardless, and would probably have just as much control eating fruit and whole grained dessert products with a minimum of actual real sweeteners than anything made with an artificial one.

:Retro Mommy to Viv 5/14/04 and my little Bam-Bam Hank 5/16/08 and wife to my electric and electrician hubby Justin: Proud Vegetarian Homeschooling Hippie Freaks!::
Old 02-20-2009, 12:13 AM

Kanten is a vegan gelatin which is very yummy. There should be recipes on the internet. I just use apple juice, agar-agar and whatever fruit I want to flavor it with. I just made raspberry kanten today!

Squash pudding might also be an option. You can sweeten it with brown rice syrup although if you cook it properly it'll be sweet enough as it is.

I like making desserts with amasake, but that might be an acquired taste.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 AM

Just so you know, I don't think all the 'facts' of diabetes are necessarily correct. I've been a McDougall vegan since I found out I had PCOS. My blood glucose got to the pre-diabetic range by the time I started doing something about it. Tri-chromium with cinnamon bark and McDougalling were the only changes I made and my blood glucose dropped. The McDougall plan however is not low carb. It's low fat. I'm moving to a vegan SCD now, so I don't know how that will affect my blood glucose, but we'll see.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:57 PM

I know several Type 1 diabetics who are vegan. They monitor etc like everyone else (who is T1 that is) but find that their wholefood diets mean that they are using a lot less injected insulin that they were as when on the 'standard diet'. There is no artificial sweetener use either (which isn't rec. to type 1's in the UK anyway as it can cause issues with blood sugar all of its own, its the type 2's who tend to get that suggestion).

One chap grew up wholefood vegan, and when his diabeties was 'found' it was after a bike crash in which he ended up hospitalised and on a cruddy hospital diet. His consultant (for his diabeties, that is) now recommends a wholefood and preferably near vegan diet for all his type 1 clients, because he says that this chaps diet keep him healthy and well without recourse to a doctor (or the disease being 'known') for 30 years and that is proof positive that it is a good diet for all diabetics :-)

User Tag List